Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craig (RZOC) has posted this on the club website ......

There have been some issues with the SOH of the ZE50 battery lately with many people seeing large drops in SOH of the traction battery.

This has been recognized behind the scene and we have been throwing back and forth some information to Renault France and our Dealer network.

There is now an update that can be applied if your vehicle is suffering the dreaded drop.

The ACTIS number for your dealer to apply is 64453 this will allow them to correct the issue if you have a low SOH.

This is not an issue with the battery its just a calculation issue that is causing a low SOH to be shown which also starts to protect the battery so doesn't allow you to use or charge the battery to full etc.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
208 Posts
Who knew Renault would be so shit at BMS?

But apparently they’re really good at rigging HVAC systems for seasonal use!
They share technology with Nissan, who don't do BMS very well either, no forced cooling on the Leaf!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Many of us probably don’t really know what the battery health is, so do you think it’s worth calling them anyway so they can check? There’s a few other actis numbers I’d like them to activate while at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my SOH has been all over the place, so will try to get them to have a look at it. Would this affect the estimated range too ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've just connected CanZe and the dongle to my ZE50.. bought June 2020 now done 3600mls in 8 months.
SOH is now 94.8 .... So 5.2% down.

When bought the car it showed 238 miles when reset was pressed.. obviously that would change as you started driving but it was the main reset figure.. and stayed like that for about a month ...my ze40 always showed 186 after its reset...
But over the summer months it kept falling no matter how gently I drove and now shows a max of 206 on a reset. .. a loss of 32 miles (in summer months) is quite a drop.

So my question to those more knowledgeable.. is the loss of 5.2% excessive for such low milage.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
596 Posts
Yes, it is excessive. I don't think it's a real reflection of the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My SOH dropped to 71% it's gone back up to 77%. So hopefully this update will sort this out, as my estimated range does not go over 170 miles (i know it's been cold and I've used the pre-con a lot).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Have booked our ZE50 for the update (will be early March). Tested the new Beta version of CanZE for iOS (thanks @yoh-there). This morning on a full charge our battery showing SOH @ 86%. When Renault dealer tested it last month whilst it was in for the LKAS camera to be replaced, it was 81%. So it clearly varies and there's obviously a BMS progamming issue. I'm a little surprised about it to be honest. We needed a BMS update on our 2016 ZE20, and that made a big difference. For the following 18 months or so afterwards, it would show 108 miles on the GOM after a B trip reset when fully charged. Our ZE40 was always fine and always showed around 180ish miles with a B trip reset, +/- 10 miles or so depending on the temps. Last night, our ZE50 showed 130miles with 90% charge. Its doing a daily 10 miles each way and been preheating in the mornings off the shore power, so it's definitely in need of a software fix.

Let's hope this works!

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Let us know what difference it makes, Arthur. Following with interest.

Reactions: ArthurGreenWorld

·
Registered
423 Posts
I’m still a bit confused by this. So what should we all be expecting in mileage during the winter months? I’ve been aiming for 160 and that’s going by the mileage calculator on the website.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Let us know what difference it makes, Arthur. Following with interest.
I sure will... I don't think the battery has degraded, it just needs a New BMS software and maybe other software updated. Rob at Renault Watford said he was aware and after checking the Fix on their system said it required the lockout and would take around 3 hours to do.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’m still a bit confused by this. So what should we all be expecting in mileage during the winter months? I’ve been aiming for 160 and that’s going by the mileage calculator on the website.
A bit more than most of us are seeing. In my case, SOH has varied between 81 & 86%. That means we are getting 15-20% less available energy overall on a charge than we should be. So we're probably getting 20-30 miles less range than expected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Craig (RZOC) has posted this on the club website ......

There have been some issues with the SOH of the ZE50 battery lately with many people seeing large drops in SOH of the traction battery.

This has been recognized behind the scene and we have been throwing back and forth some information to Renault France and our Dealer network.

There is now an update that can be applied if your vehicle is suffering the dreaded drop.

The ACTIS number for your dealer to apply is 64453 this will allow them to correct the issue if you have a low SOH.

This is not an issue with the battery its just a calculation issue that is causing a low SOH to be shown which also starts to protect the battery so doesn't allow you to use or charge the battery to full etc.
Can’t they just update this via OTA? Or is this only possible for the software of the radio?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can’t they just update this via OTA? Or is this only possible for the software of the radio?
I think this involves powering down the 400v.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts