Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick update during the current warm few days.

100% charge with outside temp 19° and GOMs showing 235 miles/4.5miles/kWh, and that’s without a reset. BMS had an update earlier in the month.

How’s everyone else doing?
Mine is exactly the same but so far I have only done two recharges (One full 50kw ish and a further 20kw top up) since a two pedal reset but looks equally good. 231 miles also at 4.5 mpkwh.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,927 Posts
he said no but reckoned it was likely reset by battery lockout during the pre con fix.
Hey Mo, remind me, how many years have I been saying this again? ;)

Gave it a search, it was on or around 6th August 2018 that I first mentioned what a "trusted" Renault tech has told you now. ;)

I don't have any skin in the game anymore, but I'm happy to wait another 3 years for those who tried to discredit me and ban me from "other" groups, and even personal vendetta from one member who stalked me all around facebook trying to get me banned from any group I posted on (until he got himself banned) to come forward and say they were indeed wrong to do so and that on this instance I was spot on. :ROFLMAO:

Meanwhile, almost 10k miles into my "new" EV ownership and SOH showing 100%, but there's been a compulsory BMS update...... lets hope its not a case of history attempting to repeat itself. Although in this case the range just gets better.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I was pointing out that disconnecting the pack will be like a factory reset to the BMS, not that just powering it down is the BMS fix :rolleyes:

·
Zoe Devotee
8,927 Posts
I was pointing out that disconnecting the pack will be like a factory reset to the BMS, not that just powering it down is the BMS fix :rolleyes:
Indeed old BMS fix was a fix to charging performance. The pack disconnect/factory reset was what automagically put everyone's pack back to the stock figure (anywhere from 98% and 101%) depending on model. I have asked folk before to report back after they get a coolant flush or brake fluid done to check their SOH before and after (both HV disconnect jobs). So far no takers, its not a big ask, but I'm sure someone will have the wherewithal to do it sometime. It would validate what I've said, and what your engineer has said. (y)

@Andy-Zoé-User likes trying to break his car. Wonder if he's up for reporting his SOH then doing a simulated 1hr service unplugging the HV and plugging back in. Make sure you wear your thickest marigolds and if you die its on you. o_O

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
110 Posts
@Sandy As I have shown a firefighter friend of mine the lockout fuse before (discussing EV car fires, training, safety etc), I actually tried it this morning on my ZE50 and left it for 3 hours...didn't die :oops: Perfectly safe to do...in a dry environment :) but so far no change to my SOH %...still 91.34. I'll leave the car for a while and try another reading.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
110 Posts
Sorry, my mistake I took out the lockout fuse in the drivers footwell. I didn't disconnect the battery underneath...as I'm not totally mental 😁

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,539 Posts
Remving the HV interlock does nothing, especially if the car is asleep (the HV relay is open then anyway). What would do (or not do) the trick is disconnecting the 12v battery. The LBC (computer of the HV battery) is powered through the 12 volt bus, not internally AFAIK. Then again, all these car systems have to deal with the nastiest transients. I highly, highly doubt anything substantial will be reset doing a 12 v disconnect, other than some orange light warnings, maybe. Every log and setting will go to flash or EEPROM.

As for safety disconnecting the HV interlock. It's really perfectly safe if all is working as it should. They don't use all the mandatory protection gear because they expect the car to throw molten copper every time you disconnect it. They do because it can when something is wrong, and when it does it's too late. I bet no mechanic really enjoys the gearing up "for nothing". If it's still not clear: it's exactly the same as the safety hooks antenna tower climbers use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is about the same.
Mine too.
231 miles at 100% SOC and 4.5mpkwh (general use ECO "B" + heater on Fan 1, 19C). No resets since update. 4 recharges now (500 miles approx) so looks like the problem is resolved and I am now consistently getting the extra range that was "promised" with the 52 kw battery vs the old 41kw (where I was getting typically 182 miles range under similar settings)
...and importantly it is not slight of hand. The actual distance covered (according to the cars odometer) for my first charge after the BMS update was 225 miles + 10 remaining on the GOM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Remving the HV interlock does nothing, especially if the car is asleep (the HV relay is open then anyway). What would do (or not do) the trick is disconnecting the 12v battery. The LBC (computer of the HV battery) is powered through the 12 volt bus, not internally AFAIK. Then again, all these car systems have to deal with the nastiest transients. I highly, highly doubt anything substantial will be reset doing a 12 v disconnect, other than some orange light warnings, maybe. Every log and setting will go to flash or EEPROM.....
When mine came back from the BMS update the GOM was stating 235miles at 100% SOC and 4.8mpkwh. The 4.8mpkwh was what was on the GOM when it went in.
I did a 2 pedal reset so that I knew I would be starting from datum and the GOM jumped to 240miles. After the first, 2nd and to date the 4th recharge the GOM states 231 miles at 100% SOC with the efficiency now settled down to a new figure of 4.5mpkwh.
So I believe that confirms what yoh=there and others have already stated that disconnection of the HV battery in itself does not reset all systems to default.
I cannot comment on whether the procedure required the 12v battery to be disconnected since I was not present, but I suspect not.
The mystery remains however. Since the ACTIS solutions would appear to be well researched and resolve issues Right First Time Why are some of these dealers being reluctant to implement updates, including the BMS.
"My Exec" from Renault has failed to come back as promised (overdue) and is now on Easter holiday. I have his personal email so I have confidence he will in the fullness of time but guess he's in trouble coming back with a plausible response.
I'll report back once (if) I finally get a response from them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I believe that confirms what yoh=there and others have already stated that disconnection of the HV battery in itself does not reset all systems to default.
One thing that has changed is the tpms readout on the instrument display. It’s now showing bar instead of psi! Anyone know how to change it back to psi? 🤗

·
Registered
463 Posts
I guess you also want to drive on the wrong side of the road eh? Oh wait..... :p
Only if someone’s doing the same from the opposite direction 😂
I find psi better mainly because everyone I know uses it, not bar. Plus the pump measures in psi!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry that you have to put up with these sort of people.

Can you add the option for Groats and Bushels in your app?
Completely confused by these replies. I only asked how to change from bar to psi on the instrument display! I can’t seem to find anything in settings.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just to say I've had the updates and it buggered up app connectivity initially.. apparently it did it to the dealer's demo too.

I tried off and on-ing the data sharing permission and it still was showing Disconnected and a hex error code of 0x201010103. What I've now discovered is you need to turn off data sharing and let the car sleep for a good 5 minutes or so (so all the relays click and the car goes deeper and deeper into sleep), then re-activate data sharing. Instantly "Connected", saved a trip to a dealer again.

Don't bother fiddling round with the app on your phone while the in-car display is saying "Disconnected".

Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help, finally managed to get the car booked in with the dealer...however

Just had a call from the dealer (car due in Tuesday) been told that 89% SoH (now 88%) isn't enough for them to do anything, they will only do any work under the warranty when the battery is below 80% in the first two years...!!

To them there is no issue with the battery/BMS, again quoting the ACTIS codes to them and even linking them to this forum they still don't understand why a 89% SoH battery reading on a 7month 3000 mile car is an issue. They even said they have spoken to Renault and they confirm there is no BMS update or fix and this is just normal wear on the batter!

However they did offer to swap plates to the green ones for £20 ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear that Matt 😔

I live near Colchester so GH would likely be my dealer too but your (and others') experiences of Renault dealers has made me less keen on the Zoe and more inclined to go with an Ioniq. For me, after-sales is a big deal and I'm totally unimpressed with poor dealer service.

I really hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help, finally managed to get the car booked in with the dealer...however

Just had a call from the dealer (car due in Tuesday) been told that 89% SoH (now 88%) isn't enough for them to do anything, they will only do any work under the warranty when the battery is below 80% in the first two years...!!

To them there is no issue with the battery/BMS, again quoting the ACTIS codes to them and even linking them to this forum they still don't understand why a 89% SoH battery reading on a 7month 3000 mile car is an issue. They even said they have spoken to Renault and they confirm there is no BMS update or fix and this is just normal wear on the batter!

However they did offer to swap plates to the green ones for £20 ;)
Have you raised a complaint directly with Renault.. get them involved.

241 - 260 of 288 Posts