Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

ZE50 Battery SOH fix

53K views 341 replies 43 participants last post by  Sandy 
#1 ·
Craig (RZOC) has posted this on the club website ......

There have been some issues with the SOH of the ZE50 battery lately with many people seeing large drops in SOH of the traction battery.

This has been recognized behind the scene and we have been throwing back and forth some information to Renault France and our Dealer network.

There is now an update that can be applied if your vehicle is suffering the dreaded drop.

The ACTIS number for your dealer to apply is 64453 this will allow them to correct the issue if you have a low SOH.

This is not an issue with the battery its just a calculation issue that is causing a low SOH to be shown which also starts to protect the battery so doesn't allow you to use or charge the battery to full etc.

#9 ·
I've just connected CanZe and the dongle to my ZE50.. bought June 2020 now done 3600mls in 8 months.
SOH is now 94.8 .... So 5.2% down.

When bought the car it showed 238 miles when reset was pressed.. obviously that would change as you started driving but it was the main reset figure.. and stayed like that for about a month ...my ze40 always showed 186 after its reset...
But over the summer months it kept falling no matter how gently I drove and now shows a max of 206 on a reset. .. a loss of 32 miles (in summer months) is quite a drop.

So my question to those more knowledgeable.. is the loss of 5.2% excessive for such low milage.

#12 ·
Have booked our ZE50 for the update (will be early March). Tested the new Beta version of CanZE for iOS (thanks @yoh-there). This morning on a full charge our battery showing SOH @ 86%. When Renault dealer tested it last month whilst it was in for the LKAS camera to be replaced, it was 81%. So it clearly varies and there's obviously a BMS progamming issue. I'm a little surprised about it to be honest. We needed a BMS update on our 2016 ZE20, and that made a big difference. For the following 18 months or so afterwards, it would show 108 miles on the GOM after a B trip reset when fully charged. Our ZE40 was always fine and always showed around 180ish miles with a B trip reset, +/- 10 miles or so depending on the temps. Last night, our ZE50 showed 130miles with 90% charge. Its doing a daily 10 miles each way and been preheating in the mornings off the shore power, so it's definitely in need of a software fix.

Let's hope this works!

Reactions: yoh-there
#18 ·
A bit more than most of us are seeing. In my case, SOH has varied between 81 & 86%. That means we are getting 15-20% less available energy overall on a charge than we should be. So we're probably getting 20-30 miles less range than expected.

#19 ·
Craig (RZOC) has posted this on the club website ......

There have been some issues with the SOH of the ZE50 battery lately with many people seeing large drops in SOH of the traction battery.

This has been recognized behind the scene and we have been throwing back and forth some information to Renault France and our Dealer network.

There is now an update that can be applied if your vehicle is suffering the dreaded drop.

The ACTIS number for your dealer to apply is 64453 this will allow them to correct the issue if you have a low SOH.

This is not an issue with the battery its just a calculation issue that is causing a low SOH to be shown which also starts to protect the battery so doesn't allow you to use or charge the battery to full etc.
Can’t they just update this via OTA? Or is this only possible for the software of the radio?

#20 ·
I think this involves powering down the 400v.

#27 ·
:D Mine is sorted.

#28 ·
Well had the fix done today and they charged the car to 100%... The car was showing range of 202 miles and 3.3mpkw after the fix.
I pressed the ok button to reset the system.. hoping that if all was well it would jump up to its original 238 miles. I know with colder weather etc this should drop substantially as you drive.
However the reset showed 199 miles..

The garage think that it is cleverer than the Ze40 which would always jump to 186 with a reset. They believe that it takes account of weather temp which was 8c.
I'm not so sure!!
So they have held on to the car and are going to do a full BMS software update rather than just the part software update done under the ACTIS.

I have posted a new thread asking for ZE50 owners to charge to 100% and to perform a reset to see what milage is shown..
It would be useful to know if later builds have a different range shown than the earlier builds.

#32 ·
Well had the fix done today and they charged the car to 100%... The car was showing range of 202 miles and 3.3mpkw after the fix.
I pressed the ok button to reset the system.. hoping that if all was well it would jump up to its original 238 miles. I know with colder weather etc this should drop substantially as you drive.
However the reset showed 199 miles..

The garage think that it is cleverer than the Ze40 which would always jump to 186 with a reset. They believe that it takes account of weather temp which was 8c.
I'm not so sure!!
So they have held on to the car and are going to do a full BMS software update rather than just the part software update done under the ACTIS.

I have posted a new thread asking for ZE50 owners to charge to 100% and to perform a reset to see what milage is shown..
It would be useful to know if later builds have a different range shown than the earlier builds.
At 3.3m/kW there’s no way you would get over 200 miles surely? At 50kWh usable it works out as 165 miles for example.

#33 · (Edited)
Got the print out from dealership showing battery soh after fix has been done.... Now 99% and double checked on CanZe at 99.4%
So I'm happy... With that..
Now my app is stuck showing vehicle last active at 13.20. Although I've driven it twice since then and still showing as 100% and 199miles.. BUT the precon fix is still working on the app... EDIT.. I turned off and On data sharing in car and app started to work again.

#36 ·
Got the print out from dealership showing battery soh after fix has been done.... Now 99% and double checked on CanZe at 99.4%
So I'm happy... With that..
Now my app is stuck showing vehicle last active at 13.20. Although I've driven it twice since then and still showing as 100% and 199miles.. BUT the precon fix is still working on the app... Yay
Maybe I should book the car in, what do you think? I’d like them to activate the usage data as well with the actis numbers.

#42 ·
If you fully charge your car... It tells you what it thinks the range is according to what it has learned from your driving style with the miles per KW etc... But if you press reset all that info is lost, so I thought, and the display just shows its max range possible without taking any account of driving style, temp etc.. at least this is what I'm trying to find out.
So if you fully charge your car and hit reset what range does it show.
And does it take into account temp and the affect on battery performance. So this theoretical range is greater in summer compared to winter temps.

#44 ·
Yeah it's possible... But what has me wondering is that the Ze40 always stated 186miles summer or winter when I reset... I'm basically trying to find out if the ze50 should do that as well... OR if it's more advanced and taking temp into account on a reset.. assuming mine is fixed now and showing 202 on a reset..

#45 ·
Our ZE40 showed different figure with a B reset depending on the prevailing temperatures. We got 186 when it was above 10oC, but nearer 170 when it was colder. CanZE showed a commensurate reduction in available energy. If the BMS update has worked, then you should see 230+ miles with a trip reset, fully charged, once it warms up a bit.

#47 ·
Is the only way to get 'the garage' to check the SOH to raise the issue with customer services? The local dealership said - we don't check the SOH during a service. All they said was - we will investigate when you bring it in. Don't forget that when its cold and you are doing lots of short trips it will greatly effect your mileage - just like an ICE car.

#48 ·
I used CanZe and a Konnwei KW902 dongle to check mine. After driving 3600 miles over 7months I was down to 94.8.. felt that was to much of a drop over such a short milage. Contacted customer services and raised a complaint, mentioned the ACTIS number to them..and they asked me what dealership I wanted to take it to to have update done. I guess unless you have a figure to tell them and complain to customer services first the dealership will take the approach they will check at 1st service.
My dealership have done a couple of these updates now on earlier build ZE50s

#49 ·
Mine is/was 91.9% after 2200 miles. I'm trying to avoid the 'you shouldn't be using a non-Renaut approved tester' garbage that some dealers spout. Another problem s finding a Renault dealer that can apply ACTIS 64453 - one that can disconnect the HV - my local one cannot. Why do Renault allow them to sell Zoes if they can't or possibly won't repair/service them?

#50 · (Edited)
Def looks like it needs update.. if you speak to customer services they shouldn't complain about CanZe and ask them to register a complaint regarding the SOH.. they might be able to tell u who is closest dealership that can do the fix.
CanZe was really accurate as it only showing the data that's in the car system anyway.
Even if it's further away it only takes a few hours.. if they guarantee to do it when u drop it off.
Perhaps tell members where you are and they will be able to give you a decent dealer in your area ish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.