Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I connected the bluetooth on my phone to receive and make calls.

Ever since then on start up it comes up with a black screen that INSISTS that I 'connect'. There is really nothing one can do but accept. It ALWAYS comes up 'connection' 'OK'.

No, NOT OK.

To get rid of the screen requires several button presses.

It will ALWAYS come up with FM on 87MHZ hissing away, no matter what the setting was when turned off. I had started setting the option 'BT music source', as suggested else where, and that was working OK until I was dumb enough to connect my phone to make a call.

There is NOTHING one can do but accept a connection to Renault with your phone if you are dumb enough to want to use your phone hands free.

Really, it is a complete disaster of software bullying the owner, and is another dismal example of programmers too stunted in their view of the world to do anything like giving users any sort of 'choice'.

Very very annoyed about it.

If one powers off the sound system to 'standby' one then looses the bluetooth connection to the phone; no more 'handsfree' connection.

Very bad, frankly.

Really, the software on the Soul was crap because it was slow and clunky. But at least it didn't FORCE you into doing certain things. The Zoe is fast and slick, but you have to comply with ITS demands.

If I have missed something, then please let me know.

Incidentally, another complaint I have with the Zoe I've noticed, the DAB sound quality is very poor on mine. The music quality is considerably better on FM. I think the DAB decoder is not good, or perhaps, I don't know, another software designer's bad deeds, if the signal is poor the data rate goes down?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,617 Posts
It should remember the last source. Did it flip back to BT music source after the call ended? All the places you can have reconnnect Bluetooth automatically are all set to automatic too?

I'd check for a update to the head unit software. If there isn't one I'd moan at Renault customer services as remembering the last source at the last volume is very basic. I find it infuriating when it doesn't as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I picked up my ZE50 a few days ago and don’t recognise any of the things you describe. I connected my phone for hands free the first day.

If I left the ’infotainment’ system on when I last exited the car it comes on with the same radio station, or bluetooth source, at the same volume as before. No black screen, no static, no connect button and the phone reconnects.

There is the usual data sharing message but that goes away in a few seconds.

Today I noticed that if you press the power button one of the options is ‘minimal screen’ which give you a blank screen with the time and date at the top but the radio keeps going and the bluetooth stays connected.

It‘s starting to look like you have a problem car, what with this problem and the transmission noises.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
189 Posts
the DAB sound quality is very poor on mine. The music quality is considerably better on FM.
You’re lucky you can get DAB radio at all, we can’t get anything even with a DAB radio in the house! Try and stick to the tried and tested, good ‘ol FM.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Incidentally, another complaint I have with the Zoe I've noticed, the DAB sound quality is very poor on mine. The music quality is considerably better on FM. I think the DAB decoder is not good, or perhaps, I don't know, another software designer's bad deeds, if the signal is poor the data rate goes down?
Much of the sound quality variance between DAB and FM is down to the broadcaster.

Many DAB stations broadcast in Mono (Absolute Radio for example) and many others use a relatively low bit rate.
FM music stations all broadcast in stereo so often this sounds sharper and more refined as a result.

Not sure about your Kia, but some car radios will constantly flick between DAB and FM depending which is stronger. The better DAB signal you think you’re hearing in one car may in fact be FM.

Out of interest, are you using an Android or Apple phone?

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something else ... it is also bullying me into accepting GMT!

Reset the clock twice and it keeps reverting to GMT. I cannot find anywhere how to set network/savings time options, but all the same if it gives me the option to change the time manually, it should bl00dy respect my decision!!!

Is there some whole menu my car doesn't have!? What menu has the setting for network time?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,617 Posts
Maybe it's connected to the forgetting the music source and there's actually something wrong with it and it's supposed to remember the time and supposed to remember the source?

I'd ask for a replacement. This car is clearly cursed!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The clock settings are in Settings, System, Date and Time.
there is an option to set time to Set automatically.

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clock settings are in Settings, System, Date and Time.
there is an option to set time to Set automatically.
View attachment 131728
Well, couple of points;
1) It IS setting the time automatically .. to the wrong time ...
2) No setting to disconnect automatic ...

·
Registered
760 Posts
In my experience with other car manufacturers, automatic time is linked to UTC time derived from vehicle satnav. In the UK this is the same as GMT...

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there is no sat nav on this, but even if that was the case, how does that help me resetting the time?

I will have to do a deep dive into the book, I guess, but in the meantime this is the 'bully' page;-

It seems 'because' I connected my phone it now 'demands' I connect to Renault services. There is no option out of this menu other than 'OK'.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well there is no sat nav on this, but even if that was the case, how does that help me resetting the time?

I will have to do a deep dive into the book, I guess, but in the meantime this is the 'bully' page;-

View attachment 131735

It seems 'because' I connected my phone it now 'demands' I connect to Renault services. There is no option out of this menu other than 'OK'.
Hi Donald ..Isn't that just the handshake between the Bluetooth on the car wanting your phone to authorise the car being conected to it... and then the trust part so when you go into the car they both connect without needing any other action on your part.. ie automatically connect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you connected your Zoe to the Renault system yet?
I noticed in your picture of the clock set page that the ‘connected‘ icon is missing.
If you look under the clock in my photo there is an icon of a car with up and down arrows, I think that means the car can talk to Renault’s servers.

Maybe once you have connected you can check to see if you have the latest version of the Easy Link software and your time problems might disappear.

Here‘s a link to the instructions to connect your car

Apologies if you’ve already done all of this.

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed in your picture of the clock set page that the ‘connected‘ icon is missing.
If you look under the clock in my photo there is an icon of a car with up and down arrows, I think that means the car can talk to Renault’s servers.

Maybe once you have connected you can check to see if you have the latest version of the Easy Link software and your time problems might disappear.

No.

Why should I?

Like I say, being bullied into that.

·
Registered
542 Posts

You and I have the 9.5 screen I think Donald has the 7in so probably has a different layout.and maybe software version. As there seems to be no car icon on that particular screen showing either the Wi-Fi type emissions or the up and down arrow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The ’bully’ screen seems to be about your phone, not connecting your car to Renault’s servers.

Surely it would be worth connecting and checking for software updates, you can turn the data off again if would prefer not to have Renault know your every move.

However if you use an Android phone in the car Google can track you anyway, but that’s another discussion altogether. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
You and I have the 9.5 screen I think Donald has the 7in so probably has a different layout.and maybe software version. As there seems to be no car icon on that particular screen showing either the Wi-Fi type emissions or the up and down arrow.
I’m guessing that the functionality of the Easy Link system is the same regardless of screen size, although you may be right in that they could be different software versions.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
That doesn’t look like it’s the app it’s talking, but rather a Bluetooth connection to take hands free calls?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts