Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
I connected the bluetooth on my phone to receive and make calls.

Ever since then on start up it comes up with a black screen that INSISTS that I 'connect'. There is really nothing one can do but accept. It ALWAYS comes up 'connection' 'OK'.

No, NOT OK.

To get rid of the screen requires several button presses.

It will ALWAYS come up with FM on 87MHZ hissing away, no matter what the setting was when turned off. I had started setting the option 'BT music source', as suggested else where, and that was working OK until I was dumb enough to connect my phone to make a call.

There is NOTHING one can do but accept a connection to Renault with your phone if you are dumb enough to want to use your phone hands free.

Really, it is a complete disaster of software bullying the owner, and is another dismal example of programmers too stunted in their view of the world to do anything like giving users any sort of 'choice'.

Very very annoyed about it.

If one powers off the sound system to 'standby' one then looses the bluetooth connection to the phone; no more 'handsfree' connection.

Very bad, frankly.

Really, the software on the Soul was crap because it was slow and clunky. But at least it didn't FORCE you into doing certain things. The Zoe is fast and slick, but you have to comply with ITS demands.

If I have missed something, then please let me know.

Incidentally, another complaint I have with the Zoe I've noticed, the DAB sound quality is very poor on mine. The music quality is considerably better on FM. I think the DAB decoder is not good, or perhaps, I don't know, another software designer's bad deeds, if the signal is poor the data rate goes down?

Welcome to 2015. I had about 7 tickets logged with Rlink support team, had them active for about 4 years before I gave up .

Reactions: donald

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't joined in discussions for quite some time but find that little has changed. Renault software for the driver is rubbish for too many people. I now have a ZE40 which I love driving. When the latest ZE connect software (or whatever its called) came out, I replaced the former version which had taken Renault 3 months to get working with my previous Zoe - and it just wouldn't work. Tried all the usual fixes - no use. So I got rid of it. At least I do get notifications when charging starts and stops which is really all I need as I usually do a home charge anyway. I must have written countless emails to Renault about all the software issues over the years. Now I no longer bother. The car suits me and I shall probably keep it until either it or I fall to pieces.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I know what it is Donald - you’ve got contrarian ticked in driver options.
At the moment I am trying every combination of every option I CAN tick!!

It has reverted back to form and is refusing to store any settings.

If I power off and back on within the half hour it keeps my settings and audio to where I left it.

More than half hour, it resets the clock to GMT, deletes all the audio settings, sets the radio to FM 87.5MHz, and yet remembers the 'phone.

I get the impression now that because it has a little music icon active in its stupid memory, but it is not active on my 'phone, unless I allow it to explore my media files it retaliates and deletes all the settings. It's like a battle of wills, it is demanding to see my audio files (and also share data with Renault ... is it going to copy everything over?) and if I don't make that setting on the 'phone then no-Play.

As far as I can tell; it's 'broken', it's rubbish, that is all there is to say about it.

I'll update you if I can figure a way to bully it back ....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't have any experience with Zoe, but that sounds an awful lot like permanent 12 V missing from the head unit in the old days. I had an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that forgot all radio stations, sound settings etc. if the battery was disconnected, but kept the bluetooth connections. In your position I'd just get the car serviced. It shouldn't be difficult for them to reproduce, but I'd make sure to stress that it only happens when the car has sat powered down for more than half an hour. Otherwise, well, I can imagine them just telling me it's all fine..

·
Registered
336 Posts
At the moment I am trying every combination of every option I CAN tick!!

It has reverted back to form and is refusing to store any settings.

If I power off and back on within the half hour it keeps my settings and audio to where I left it.

More than half hour, it resets the clock to GMT, deletes all the audio settings, sets the radio to FM 87.5MHz, and yet remembers the 'phone.

I get the impression now that because it has a little music icon active in its stupid memory, but it is not active on my 'phone, unless I allow it to explore my media files it retaliates and deletes all the settings. It's like a battle of wills, it is demanding to see my audio files (and also share data with Renault ... is it going to copy everything over?) and if I don't make that setting on the 'phone then no-Play.

As far as I can tell; it's 'broken', it's rubbish, that is all there is to say about it.

I'll update you if I can figure a way to bully it back ....
Given that the ‘radio’ these days is actually a computer running apps and connected to devices on a lan (eg reversing camera) a reboot (probably described in a menu as system/reset) is probably in order. You may have gone through a sequence of settings that wasn’t fully tested and twisted its knickers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you suggesting there is something that's my fault there?

I get a car that doesn't appear to work logically, and somehow I'm the one to blame?
Yes, if you don't understand the basics of how Bluetooth pairing works.

Your phone isn't set up to trust your car over Bluetooth, and your car is trying to tell you this. It is not trying to 'bully' you for heaven's sake.

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes, if you don't understand the basics of how Bluetooth pairing works.

Your phone isn't set up to trust your car over Bluetooth, and your car is trying to tell you this. It is not trying to 'bully' you for heaven's sake.
yes it is. I know how bluetooth is meant to connect and if you have 3 channels of connection you get to pick which ones are enabled. I mean, the option is even presented on the screen! It just doesn't work.

I am allowed to connect the phone ONLY IF I also connect all my media files.

I have never needed to do this in any other car. I guess those manufacturers didn't understand how BT pairing is supposed to work either, then? Is that what you're saying?

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, customers who want to connect their phone but not their phone's media. Phew. What will these demanding customers expect next? Maybe they'll want to control their fan speed AND the temperature. Or control the radio volume AND the station they are listening to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am allowed to connect the phone ONLY IF I also connect all my media files.
This is a strange one. I managed to pair my phone to car without any issues and it did give me the option of what I wanted the car to access from the phone. There should be a media button, mine had it.

·
27,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes mine had it, I did not press it. Ever after, on start up, it insisted that I either select the media option too or connect with phone only.

If you accepted the media connection (too) then you'd not get this, clearly.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts