Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having problems with Carplay and navigation on my ZE50 GT R135. The Google maps and Apple Maps apps won't open when I start the car and keep crashing back to the menu 15-20 times before they finally start working. I've tried updating software on my iPhone 11 Pro but the problem remains.

The phone apps also freeze and crash if I use them on my phone while plugged into the car.

Is anybody else finding this happens? I'm not using an official Apple cable, but they don't supply a standard USB cable with the phone anymore and I don't really want to spend silly money on what should be a cheap cable.

The Renault built in mapping seems to be Google based too, so I was wondering if this is causing the issue? My car is an ex-demonstrator and the sales rep mentioned they were using Google maps as it is better overall.

The car is a 70 plate registered last September.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
379 Posts
I also have a R135 Gt Line and in my case an iphone XS max, connected using a cheap generic cable.

I normally use waze and spotify connected via apple carplay.

The first times i used it were awful, took forever to appear, laggy etc. Then it was just smooth, although I have to admit that I always find it faster using waze to introduce the address with the smartphone disconnected from the car and after the route has been calculated connect it.

To what usb socket are you connecting it to?
I'm not saying about buying an official apple usb connector, but have you tried using any other cable?

RE it being an ex-demo I wouldnt even consider it, I imagine it makes no diference.

Apart from the software version of your phone, do you have your ZOE updated to the latest?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car software version is 283C39022R updated 26.02.2021. Check for updates seems to be greyed out.

I'll try a different cable tomorrow, but I'll be surprised if that turns out to be the issue.

I mentioned it was an ex-demonstrator because many devices were saved on the car when I bought it and a lot of the settings had been changed. I wasn't sure whether the sales rep had changed the maps as he was driving it himself and he specifically mentioned it.

Do you have your phone paired over bluetooth? I paired mine before I set up Carplay so maybe that could be a problem? I think wireless charging didn't work on my phone before I paired it, although that isn't an issue now since it doesn't work with Carplay anyway.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
379 Posts
My car software version is 283C39022R updated 26.02.2021. Check for updates seems to be greyed out.

I'll try a different cable tomorrow, but I'll be surprised if that turns out to be the issue.

I mentioned it was an ex-demonstrator because many devices were saved on the car when I bought it and a lot of the settings had been changed. I wasn't sure whether the sales rep had changed the maps as he was driving it himself and he specifically mentioned it.

Do you have your phone paired over bluetooth? I paired mine before I set up Carplay so maybe that could be a problem? I think wireless charging didn't work on my phone before I paired it, although that isn't an issue now since it doesn't work with Carplay anyway.
Yeah I also have it synced over BT although that shouldn’t make a difference for either that or wireless charging.
I’d try deleting all the other devices only leaving yours.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,279 Posts
No issues at all with carplay on an iphone XS Max and an iphone 11. Non-genuine cable. Have you tried rebooting the phone? I've had carplay go very strange on me a few times over the past couple of years, notably with a Sony headunit I stuck my Yaris. Sometimes carplay would fail to 'load' at all, other times I'd lose audio. Rebooting the phone always solved it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay it seems iOs 14.7 may have solved my issues. I forgot the spare cable today but when I plugged in on the usual cable it worked fine and with no lag. Not sure if it was the new iOs or the reboot. I know 14.5 broke Carplay almost completely for a lot of people.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,279 Posts
Excellent. Glad it’s sorted. Almost definitely a result of the reboot. We forget our phones are just a computer running either some sort of unix (iOS) or Linux (Android) and not that different from a desktop operating system. Generally stability is really good, but a process can get into a state where it’s no longer really working but also not triggering a watchdog to restart it. Unusually high battery consumption is often a sign a reboot would be beneficial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts