Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new ZE50 Iconic has a bit of a leak on the driver's side door when I'm on the motorway in heavy rain. Just a very slow drip. Took it back to the dealer today and they've said they can't reproduce the leak. It actually happened on the way there. Any one else had this problem?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
The doors curve up into the roofline and there is 2 seals to try to keep water out. I found when I had roof bars that you squeeze one of the seals down and you do get a drip when its heavy rain. Worth checking the seals are all round in profile, if any are nipped you'll seem water getting in. Giving them a squeeze along their length should pop them into shape if they are nipped anywhere.

·
Registered
527 Posts
EvIain posted videos about this issue on his ZE40:

Reactions: portmoon

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
EvIain posted videos about this issue on his ZE40:

I like the comment "by all accounts the new Zoe has better seals than the older Zoes". Except they all have the same, exactly the same door seals.

Can't help but notice the "bump" in the first video is still very much evident in the second video.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
Except they all have the same, exactly the same door seals.
True with regard to the top seals, where this water leak was coming from. However, the ZE50 has additional secondary seals along the rear and bottom edges of the doors, which definitely reduces noise compared to our ZE40.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
True with regard to the top seals, where this water leak was coming from. However, the ZE50 has additional secondary seals along the rear and bottom edges of the doors, which definitely reduces noise compared to our ZE40.
So outer seal and inner seal are the same as I said. The adding of a lower seal makes sense as its the minimum Renault can get away with without redesigning the whole side of car/seals.

The irony is the water coming into the drivers side was at the top, so a new bottom seal will help keep the water in rather than letting it naturally drain out through the bottom of the door/sill gap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car with dealer, who so far have said they can't reproduce the leak (as happened Evlain). Have tweeted Renault_UK to ask if they've got any tips I can pass on to the dealership. Hopefully they'll just re-seat the seal as they did with Evlain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's disappointing. Dealership have said they couldn't reproduce the leak and I'll have to bring it back when it's raining. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well that's disappointing. Dealership have said they couldn't reproduce the leak and I'll have to bring it back when it's raining. 🤦‍♂️
They dont have a hose to wash cars?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,593 Posts
My new ZE50 Iconic has a bit of a leak on the driver's side door when I'm on the motorway in heavy rain. Just a very slow drip. Took it back to the dealer today and they've said they can't reproduce the leak. It actually happened on the way there. Any one else had this problem?
Yes, mine leaks and is getting worse.

Smack bang on the top most point over the shoulder, drip drip, cold rain. Passenger side is OK, of course!

I was going to lather it up with vaseline.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,940 Posts
The old way of finding leaks was to smear butter on one side of a seal. Then you see where it doesn't transfer and where it's dribbling through.

Seems like Zoe build quality is the same as ever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, mine leaks and is getting worse.

I was going to lather it up with vaseline.

Try spraying with Holts Silicone Spray. Reconditions and cleans door/window seals. You could also try this on the seal on boot to see if it stops your clicky boot.

·
28,593 Posts
I might look for some, but don't get out much these days.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Seems like Zoe build quality is the same as ever.
A little unfair. Both our previous Zoes didn’t leak and the current one is completely dry.

I did notice that the doors don’t seem to be adjusted correctly and are a little further from the body at the top than they should be. This could be a simple adjustment.

·
28,593 Posts
I thought that but the body lines are actually very neat on mine.

Whether the entire side of the car is not quite correct would be a different conundrum.

·
28,593 Posts
What about the top of the door? Does it line up with the roof when shut or is it a bit proud?
Well, I mean the whole line has a gap, yes, but it is in line with the body and the rear door. I'll take a photo if you like.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Well, I mean the whole line has a gap, yes, but it is in line with the body and the rear door. I'll take a photo if you like.
I was referring to height profile. One of my doors sits higher than the roof line, compared to the other door.

When looking at it from the front of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts