Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've picked up my brand spankin' new ZE50 and in general I'm overboard. Background info, I previously had an R240 (22kWh, 22kW) and I'm not a car nerd to test drive all available cars.

There was a rather large mishap it seems, I asked for the 9.3" multimedia system but it doesn't appear anywhere, on any paper. I basically got a car with all correct specs, apart from the infotaiment screen which is the smaller size. The dealership was disappointed with my... let's say... unhappiness, it's quite a bummer, because with it comes also a nice way to display the gauges on the dash. But I'll come back to it, I'm surprised.

IMG_5284.JPG

I didn't get the car fully charged, rather about 55% but that doesn't really bother me. I then went to a free CCS charger and, although not in the dead of winter and with a rather cold battery, it was pulling 30kW (based on my calculations). I left it to charge until 75%, about 275km shown on the dash. I remembered I need new socks (true story, actually) and where better to buy socks than from an outlet shopping centre 96km away, uphill. Left the charging station at 75% and took it on the Autobahn where... MY, OH MY, was I blown away! The R135 motor is pretty nippy, had no problem to overtake at all, switched between 90km/h and 140km/h in a breeze, definitely not underpowered. 0-100km/h seems too, but it's not my fancy. I don't know by heart the way to the shopping centre, so I used CarPlay; the implementation is absolutely fantastic and it grew a bit on me that... the small screen actually is stylish, elegant if you don't want to use Renault's own apps, but are fine with CarPlay. Not sure about Android Auto. Maybe I'm trying to rationalise the mishap with the infotaiment unit, but... I'll post a pic of the screen with CarPlay soonish (my USB cable is literally 7cm long).

I arrived at the destination with about 100km left on the GOM, but seriously I drove it like I stole it, mostly 120-130km/h uphill. The previous R240 would have struggled on the route and I would have had to find a charging station as I would leave the shopping centre, but.. I'm confident that going downhill now with 120km/h it's gonna be quite a breeze.

Here are some comparisons to previous Zoe:
  • Steering wheel is absolutely gorgeous to hold on to (the car reminds you to keep your hands on the steering wheel anyways); same as in Clio, feels great
  • Lane Keep Assist is not brusquely jolting you, but softly, gently moves the steering wheel, it's as if your driving instructor corrects your manouver
  • It's quieter, seriously quieter inside; there's less wind noise from the sides, but the cross wind is still a bit of an issue (for me)
  • Driving at 140km/h feels incredibly stable, and the suspension seems to be improved because going over potholes and lane deformations is less annoying; the driving feels far more refined
  • Air conditioning system seems to be updated as well, you can't hear it at all (compared to previous Zoe) and in auto/non-eco does seem to work much better.
D and B modes. The previous Zoe models have the regen in between what's in new Zoe's D and B modes. In D mode, the car regens at about 6-7kW, in B mode it goes to 50kW. I believe my R240 was doing regen at 22kW, with the exception of brake pedal press when it would go to 43kW. On the motorway it feels great in D; in the city it feels great in B.

I now have new socks so going back home, 100km downhill, but likely slower (I've been conditioned by the previous Zoe).

Note: I'll check the battery capacity and charging speed another time, I know that's most people's pain currently, but... somehow it's no longer my top priority! Let me know if you want to know something that's probably not yet published.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
That’s odd as the brochure clearly talks about a 9.3” screen. It even looks noticeably smaller.

I’ll be checking mine before accepting it for sure.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
9:3 screen is optional as tech pack along with front sensors and rear camera on Iconic model ( and maybe play model), it's only GT line has it as std.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my mind. I went to Ionity after 5 minutes of driving:

10C outside, battery wasn't too warm, 44kW max. I didn't stay long, a few minutes and 8kWh and then I headed home where I plugged into another CCS. I hope the next piece will make some people happy, because I arrived with 15% and this was the charging station screen when I left:

I did the math and, even considering that I arrived with 15,00% and un-plugged at 57,99%, the battery capacity would be 53,90kWh; poorly documented, i know, I'll do better next time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9:3 screen is optional as tech pack along with front sensors and rear camera on Iconic model ( and maybe play model), it's only GT line has it as std.
Thanks a lot @Mo1, you just probably saved a few peeps quite some headaches! I ordered Zoe Intens, equivalent with GT Line in UK, on the basis that the large screen is standard. I remember that I didn't want to pay 800 euros for the Bose system, because it was too expensive.

I just had a look at the German configurator and... blimey, large screen without Bose sound system is now optional, not standard, it's now 400 euros! I'm not sure if my sales person can check when the configurator has changed... It was definitely changed after I placed my order.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, no, I haven’t tried, because 1) I don’t have my own place to charge (street parking) and 2) the car came without a granny.

The infrastructure where I live and the fact that Renault could pick me up and take me to a station made it not necessary for the past 4 years to use a granny charger with an R240 (22kWh battery), and I doubt it would be necessary in the future with a 52kWh battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey, no, I haven’t tried, because 1) I don’t have my own place to charge (street parking) and 2) the car came without a granny.

The infrastructure where I live and the fact that Renault could pick me up and take me to a station made it not necessary for the past 4 years to use a granny charger with an R240 (22kWh battery), and I doubt it would be necessary in the future with a 52kWh battery.
Always like to read about fellow EV drivers, without off-street parking.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a leap of faith at first as I had 5 charging stations around in town, but also the decision of which car to get was based on the infrastructure in Germany in general. Zoe with its 22kW AC charging capability proved ideal for towns, where CCS and ChaDeMo are a rarity even today. AC infrastructure exploded in the past 2 years, I have access to probably 40 chargers now in and around town (Frankfurt), mostly AC only.

I chose to shop at supermarkets (30 mins shopping, twice a week) that have charging units and chose a gym nearby that sports a 22kW charging point (at least 1h every morning). My commute was pretty short, 30 miles per day and during the weekends basically travel in areas where there are charging units.

For me, and many people living in multiunit buildings, Zoe seems to be ideal; charges fairly quick on AC and it's large enough for carrying a bed from IKEA, so never felt the need for a bigger car at all. Since I was working 280 days per year, I rarely found it necessary to travel by car very long distances (did a few stints just to show off, though)

With ZE50, things are way easier, I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that in about 2 hours I have 350km of range in winter (usually not from 0%, but from say 30%); that’s a lunch/dinner with a friend or a shopping session or my gym routine.

To sum up, I think no other car fares better for people without off-street parking: it’s insanely easy to park and the 22kW AC is pure luxury.

The luxury is that using a free to charge, free to park (2h limit) AC unit in the middle of the town, my Zoe gets 44kWh if energy, while other cars get half or less (some exceptions as the early Model S with 16kW onboard AC charger).

·
Zoe Devotee
8,736 Posts
Where is the obd port on the new Zoe?

Doesn't really mater right now, CANZE doesn't currently work on the latest Zoe. ?‍♂ I guess Renault made a conscience effort to block handy tools like this.:cry:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Doesn't really mater right now, CANZE doesn't currently work on the latest Zoe. ?‍♂ I guess Renault made a conscience effort to block handy tools like this.:cry:
They're making progress (y)
This was posted to CANZE's blog today:-
This morning I received a message from user @Minibiti reporting success on the ZE50 test code. This indicates our route to enabling CanZE for the ZE50 is probably solid. In aeronautical terms: the test flight was a success and we will now open up the envelope. Apart from a very small change that needs to be tested, it could be mostly boring table conversion work. Thank you Minibiti!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Evescu, people are fretting about whether or not granny charging works on the ZE50. Have you tried it yet?
I have granny charged, I used my Tesla UMC from a 220v French socket, and also a Go-e charger (provides various plug options to a type 2 socket) on the same. Works fine.

In NL, we do not get a granny charger with the car, so you find your own.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017
456 Posts
The advertising says you can customise the dashboard and the information shown in it. The manual just says you can choose the 'style' and the videos show four styles to choose between. Can anyone provide screenshots of the four styles please?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The advertising says you can customise the dashboard and the information shown in it. The manual just says you can choose the 'style' and the videos show four styles to choose between. Can anyone provide screenshots of the four styles please?
Sorry for the delay on this. You only have 3 display styles, here's the selection screen:

The colour option is for the horizon shade in the cluster display. Here are the three styles, in order:

You can mildly customize the information in the cluster in the area where the navigation instructions are being displayed in the above pics.

1. Car display - displays a) consumption or b) journey summary or c) tire pressure or d) tire temperature
2. Music - displays the currently playing song, I think it also shows the album art, but I think it's pointless
3. Navigation - displays a) the navigation instructions or b) a compass
4. Energy flow - displays a) energy flow from motor to battery and vice-versa or b) a leaf that shrinks when you accelerate and grows in size when you forgot the lead boots at home

Note that the navigation display in the instrument cluster is slightly different for the cars with 7" display than those with the 9.3" display. With the 7" display you get only the next instruction; with the 9.3" you get the map seamlessly integrated (similar to Tesla's S or X instrument cluster).

If you use CarPlay or Android Auto, you don't get navigation instructions in the instrument cluster.

I personally got used with Style 2 with white horizon and displaying the consumption details:
IMG_5444.JPG

I find it to be the most elegant, the least intrusive. With 300km+ of range, I genuinely don't have to desire for graphs with regen and instant consumption; those become a little pointless to be honest.

Average consumption is great to know whether I should drive less spirited or I can just have fun; in the majority of the cases is just fun.

Also, I almost never have to travel 300km in one stretch (or at least not in winter) so I use primarily CarPlay for navigation. Apple Maps or Google Maps don't know all the charging points, but I doubt Renault's back end have knowledge of all charging stations in Germany or Europe either (they have data from a handful of -expensive- operators); on such journeys I will very likely plan the itinerary ahead of time, from the comfort of my couch.

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
18 Posts
Impressions? :D
First impressions are very good.
There are some Cons on first view: navigation doesn't "speak" Slovenian and folding rear seats don't fold all the way - safety belts buckles.
I just make 80+ km, so I can not give some more experiences about vehicle.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts