Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to Corsa being problematic I'm looking at alternatives.

I'm looking at the 2020 or 2021 GT Line R135 with rapid charging.

Is the pre heat minimum percentage when not plugged in still 25% like the ZE40?

What are the auto wipers like? Do they work ok without much interference ie you can leave them on auto and they tend to work?

It also has a blind spot function. Does this actually work? It doesn't much on the Corsa but seemed to much better on the Leaf.

If you use Bluetooth music and don't plug in the phone does it pick up where it left off when you get back in the car without having to press any buttons at all? The original Zoe did after an update and the Leaf did. I wanted to make sure the new Easy Link or whatever it's called does the same.

Are the maps kept up to date easily? The old one was SD card faff and the maps weren't very recent either. I've got used to TomTom quarterly maps with the Corsa and they're not bad (when they actually install)

I'm assuming it is still impossible to have the heater on while charging and be sat in the car and warm/cool with the infotainment on for more than 10 minutes at a time?

There's some mention in the user manual of 360 cameras. Is that an actual thing so they're like the leaf with the full bird's eye and kerb views or just the fake view mushing together bits from the rear view camera?

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Don't have a ZE50 but in the ZE40 you can preheat or precool the car while charging using the app or key fob, obviously in the ZE50 you would have to use the app.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a ZE40 before and thought there was a limit to the number of pre heats you could do? I'm hoping the range of this one is large enough I'd never really have to charge it and have to sit in the car for ages like before.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
It's weird they say the ZE40 won't preheat at low states of charge but in practice I don't really go low enough to notice, as you say it works above 25% SOC.

I looked at upgrading because of the CCS advantage but I decided to keep the ZE40 as the CCS averages about 33 - 38 Kwh over 10 - 80% compared to the 22Kwh AC. The 20 mins I would save charging it didn't justify the extra cost as I was only 9 months in on the ZE40 at the time. However the ZE50 has better aero as there are ducts at the front that flow the air through the front wheel arches and apparently it makes it more efficient at higher motorway speeds. So not only do you have more range with the bigger battery you can travel at 70mph instead of 60mph compared to the old ZE40 at the same 4mpkwh, as I have been told.

Would like to get one just to test it out, maybe next year :)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

My wife bought exactly this car, with CCS, in March. She is very pleased with it and I was very impressed by its build quality (but I did own a Tesla Model 3 at the time . . . )

It seems to be, yes, although she has never run the battery down enough to test this, I'm afraid.

What are the auto wipers like? Do they work ok without much interference ie you can leave them on auto and they tend to work?
Brilliant, easily as good as the ones on her old Yaris and massively better than those on the Tesla Model 3.

It also has a blind spot function. Does this actually work? It doesn't much on the Corsa but seemed to much better on the Leaf.
Sort of. It isn't as useful in practice as it might seem and in my view is really a bit of a gimmick most of the time. It might be useful on motorways, but she hasn't yet driven on one so can't say.

If you use Bluetooth music and don't plug in the phone does it pick up where it left off when you get back in the car without having to press any buttons at all? The original Zoe did after an update and the Leaf did. I wanted to make sure the new Easy Link or whatever it's called does the same.
Yes, this seems to be seamless, and it does the same with music plating from a plugged in USB stick.

Are the maps kept up to date easily? The old one was SD card faff and the maps weren't very recent either. I've got used to TomTom quarterly maps with the Corsa and they're not bad (when they actually install)
This isn't something we've been able to check in just a couple of months of ownership, I'm afraid.

I'm assuming it is still impossible to have the heater on while charging and be sat in the car and warm/cool with the infotainment on for more than 10 minutes at a time?
Again, not something we've yet been able to check, although she is making a long trip in a few weeks time and so I'll get her to check it and report back.

There's some mention in the user manual of 360 cameras. Is that an actual thing so they're like the leaf with the full bird's eye and kerb views or just the fake view mushing together bits from the rear view camera?
It's a very useful feature in my view. Not as good as the system in the I-Pace but a lot better than the multiple camera views the Model 3 has.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Jeremy Harris Good to know all of that. Zoe's at the top of a very short list of affordable and available cars that aren't PSA group :)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
We looked at the Corsa-e, Peugeot e-208 and the Zoe, and the Zoe won hands down for several reasons, including better range and efficiency but mostly because it just seemed to be better built and finished. It has really impressed me with it's build quality for such a reasonably priced car. It also seems to be exceptionally efficient and uses far less energy on short trips than my Model 3 used to, which surprised me, as I'd always thought that the Model 3 was pretty efficient.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the Zoe is now better built than the Corsa that's quite impressive. The ZE40 I had was a bit of squeaky and rattly car. The corsa is pretty well built but they have used a lot of dashboard and door trim of different materials and that just ends up rattling and buzzing on certain road surfaces. Which oddly dealers can never hear :rolleyes:

The Corsa software isn't finished either. It's just a petrol car with electric bits as far as the designers were concerned.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,424 Posts

They made CCS charging standard for the 2021, but randomly removed a couple of useful things like wireless phone charging & road sign recognition.

The wipers can be left on auto & work OK.
The blind spot works for me (dual carriageway commute) - It's a red LED on each wing mirror, activated by the side parking sensors.

Map updates are now supposed to be OTA, but I had to update via Renault's "Connect" toolbox and a USB stick. The latest set I've got is marked "2020.03"

No 360 camera view on mine, just a top-down sketch of the parking sensor responses. It also goes through the speakers so you can tell which corner is about to hit something.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,558 Posts
Only kept the ZE50 for three months, but seem to remember it is 40%. And of course you can only initiate it from the Renault App. That’s no longer an option with the keycard.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
No 360 camera view on mine, just a top-down sketch of the parking sensor responses. It also goes through the speakers so you can tell which corner is about to hit something.
Strangely I noticed the rear parking sensor coming out of left speaker then the right last night when parking up the ZE40, never knew it did that and I guess its because I rarely park in rearwards at a diagonal angle into our drive which triggered it.

Was dithering whether to go front in or rear and left it too late on our road, so reversed in at a funny angle :)

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
Only kept the ZE50 for three months, but seem to remember it is 40%. And of course you can only initiate it from the Renault App. That’s no longer an option with the keycard.
It used to say 40% on the app, but it always worked below down to 25%, they have updated the app now and it just says 'A/C' presumably it greys out if unavailable or not.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the latest map is March 2020 then that's pretty poor. I'd expect March 2021 by now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sometimes in sudden torrential or incredibly light subtle rain that's building up slowly I have to move it down a notch (the auto won't go to full speed).. most of the time it's just right.

I get a lot of nuisance warnings when there's rain on the sensor.

Some of the software is still a work in progress, being a new model it looks like they rushed out an initial release of the software and plan to fix things later.. some are seeing map updates but the best way right now is manual using Renault CONNECT Toolbox and a USB stick (ideally around 16GB).

Yeah slightly worse.. the heated seats (if installed) won't turn on while charging either, whereas in ZE40 they could be used. On both models you still can trigger a pre-condition which gives you a short heat boost. This on the ZE50 has to be done from the app (literally and physically because you don't have the button on the keycard) and the precondition function won't work if the car is awake and/or the keycard is inside it.

Not seen this in my early ZE50. The ZE50 I find has slightly less visibility to the ZE40 too (I think in the name of efficiency / noise reduction).

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
106 Posts
No, it's 40%.

Auto wipers are excellent. You can leave them on auto and they will work after you start the car. I use to turn auto wipers off during the icing conditions.
You can select interval in auto mode.

Blind spot detection works, but is a little to late for me.

It's a OTA update. You just have to set to auto update.

You can have heating/air conditioning while charging with programming it.

AFAIK Bird view parking assist (360˙cameras) is an option.

My ZOE50 intens (aka GT line) is my first EV.
I like it a lot. I like to drive it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 Intens R135
15 Posts
I'm very happy with how they work. Sometimes I adjust the sensitivity one notch up or down but that's it.
It also has a blind spot function. Does this actually work?
It works ok most of the time. Have had a few false positive indications while driving in heavy rain (I think the tyre throws water in front of the sensor).
Also it missed a couple of cars that were passing me at great speed (the closing speed was waaay fast, too fast to be safe).
Are the maps kept up to date easily? The old one was SD card faff and the maps weren't very recent either.
The map system seems to be a work in progress. I've used the USB method once to update the map data for my country. I'm hopeful they will start updating the data more often.
I like the 'Reachable area' on the map. Seems to predict the range well for my driving style.
I've used the scheduled preconditioning option while sitting in the car to warm up. It is a bit quirky, but it works. You also need to lock the car for it to start preconditioning. Also the fan is on full blast while preconditioning so it's loud and blows lots of air.
You can have the infotainment on indefinitely if you put the car in 'Permanent APC' mode, otherwise it turns off after a few minutes.

Overall I am very pleased with the car. Good value for money (in the EV world).

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Permanent APC mode sounds interesting. Just having the infotainment on permanently rather than shutting off all the time would make it better.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
630 Posts
I like that it really does appear to be more efficient with the speedo saying 62 is the equivalent of about 58 in the ZE40. The map is better than the 40 - you can stick your finger on the screen and move the map around, unlike the 40. It is a step up from the 40.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts