Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any OTA update for the maps?

Noticed mine were dated September 2019, so over a year out of date.
System doesn't appear to list any updates but with a bit of digging found there is a Renault PC connect app. Used that and downloaded latest maps.
When I tried with just UK maps the update wouldn't take so downloaded the full package (~20Gb) and that updated them to March 2020.

My experience; used a 64Gb USB stick and ended up having to download a utility to format it as FAT32.
The update estimated 28 minutes but I would estimate it was nearer 45.

·
Registered
MG5 EV / Zoe ZE50 R135
28 Posts
We only got our Zoe mid-October and it hasn't shown any willing to download anything yet but I'd have thought all of this would happen by default given there appears to be a SIM / data connection in the vehicle?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've tapped on the map update thing but it never appears to do anything.
btw, what happened to UK North?

I see the Map Update button in My Renault - I think that's new!

That page says "your favourite country is updated automatically"...
Aha! That's the link I was trying to find for the app.

As to the North/Northern text, I think it should always have been Northern as it is referring to Ireland?

Have stumbled across this page where it does state OTA isn't actually working yet; EASY LINK - Renault CONNECT - Renault UK

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
746 Posts
We picked up our ZE50 in June and OTA has been working for firmware updates for the car, but I've never seen a map update.

After reading the above, when I logged into my account on My Renault from a browser and clicked on the RENAULT CONNECT tab, I see: https://my.renault.co.uk/renault-connect.html. (Not sure what you'll see if you are not logged in - Edit: you get a login page.)

From there, clicking on UPDATE MY MAPS takes me to: https://my.renault.co.uk/renault-connect/map-update.html.

This has instructions for loading a new piece of software, that I've not seen before, the 'Renault (Easy) Connect Toolbox', which says it will require you to use a 32GB (or larger) USB stick. However, when I start the application I get two options, both of which are greyed out and do nothing! One is to enter the VIN for the car and the other is to plug in a USB stick that already has car data on it.

Has anyone got past this point? I'm going to try the instructions for using a USB key, at the bottom of the UPDATE MY MAPS page.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We picked up our ZE50 in June and OTA has been working for firmware updates for the car, but I've never seen a map update.

After reading the above, when I logged into my account on My Renault from a browser and clicked on the RENAULT CONNECT tab, I see: https://my.renault.co.uk/renault-connect.html. (Not sure what you'll see if you are not logged in - Edit: you get a login page.)

From there, clicking on UPDATE MY MAPS takes me to: https://my.renault.co.uk/renault-connect/map-update.html.

This has instructions for loading a new piece of software, that I've not seen before, the 'Renault (Easy) Connect Toolbox', which says it will require you to use a 32GB (or larger) USB stick. However, when I start the application I get two options, both of which are greyed out and do nothing! One is to enter the VIN for the car and the other is to plug in a USB stick that already has car data on it.

Has anyone got past this point? I'm going to try the instructions for using a USB key, at the bottom of the UPDATE MY MAPS page.
Entering the VIN manually gave me an error about the entry being too old, for a car that is 9 months old...
USB did work. When you've done that it should allow you to carry on.

USB does need to be formatted as FAT32. If it is bigger than 32Gb you can't do that through WIN10, had to download "partition magic free".

·
Registered
812 Posts

I've just downloaded this app for Windows and the options .. Enter Vin... Plug in USB key are also greyed out and not selectable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've just downloaded this app for Windows and the options .. Enter Vin... Plug in USB key are also greyed out and not selectable.
Plug in USB is greyed out until you plug one in I think.

If you do the procedure (go to car, switch on, insert key, wait ten seconds, remove, switch off) and then plug that into the computer it should proceed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When you start the program it connects out (I see a sudden outgoing spike) - I wonder if it needs to connect to the Renault servers to authenticate and these are doing their usual of ignoring everything

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those who got it to work, what version of the software you using? - I can only tell from the installer, which is 3.1.9

·
Registered
812 Posts
Plug in USB is greyed out until you plug one in I think.

If you do the procedure (go to car, switch on, insert key, wait ten seconds, remove, switch off) and then plug that into the computer it should proceed.
Yeah I did all that.. the file is on the USB stick after the car part has been done..
But still the programme inputs are greyed out.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
746 Posts
For those who got it to work, what version of the software you using? - I can only tell from the installer, which is 3.1.9
If you find the program file (right click on the icons and follow the shortcuts with open location / open folder) then you can right click on it, open 'Properties', and you will find the version number on the details tab. Mine currently is 3.1.9.0.

I still see both options greyed out, with all combinations of the USB stick being inserted or not, and being logged into My Renault or not.

I did see them not greyed out just once, for a few seconds. Goodness knows why.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,382 Posts
The toolbox program has "3.1.9" written in very light (almost invisible) grey at the bottom right corner.
Clicking on it shows it's been built using several open-source libraries under an assortment of licences.
I'm just off out to the car to try and install the map update - Wish me luck.

UPDATE - 30mins later and all went well. The maps are now only 9 months out of date, as @Hotlush posted to start this thread.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well just tried it and it worked .... except I entered my VIN and it told me my car was out of date and that I should go back and try the USB method (?!) did so and now it's all greyed out again FFS

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line & Hyundai Ioniq 38kW Premium
41 Posts
VIN didn’t work for me either, but the USB method worked first time. I only updated the UK maps and the installation only took around 6 minutes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How did you get the USB method to work? Managed to get the app to work a second time, selected USB (was already plugged in from earlier) and all it did was give me instructions on how to pre the USB key in the car, no options about reading one in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed Renault Toolbox from website
Took a blank 32GB (FAT32 formatted) USB stick out to the car.
Plugged it in and started the system.
Waited around a minute for the light on the USB stick to stop flashing (*)
Brought USB back inside and plugged into PC
Renault software (which was already running) detected the stick straight away
Updates offered - I selected just the UK updates. Took around 10 minutes to download and copy to USB, 6 minutes to install in car.

(*) the USB stick contains a folder called 'AllianceNDSMapConfig' which contains a single file called 'AllianceNDSMapConfig.json'

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks like the (badly designed/implemented) software can't cope with a high end PC!!! - My desktop was built just over 3 years back as a high end gaming machine with photo processing in mind (and still good enough to play Cyberpunk 2077 in 4k). As it has various pieces of control software for programmable mice, keyboards, etc running in the background these seem to prevent the Renault software from working properly lol ....

Fortunately I also have a light weight laptop I use for travels and for a while, work (until they stopped BYO) - that has virtually nothing on it and as a result the software ran no problems and also detected the USB drive with no problems - map now being downloaded.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting - I had a similar problem. Software wouldn't run at all on my iMac (Mac version obviously) but ran fine on my old Windows laptop.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts