Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Daft question and sorry if it's been asked...
It states that the installed map for the county you are in will update over the air... And that you do not need to use the usb etc unless you want to change maps.
Does it not update the UK map OTA.?
Unfortunately the maps do not update OTA. I suspect the screen is misleading (poor translation again?) and they never will due to cost of 4G across fleet to do so. Be glad to be wrong of course :)

As above, I am sorted but with maps being so old (2020.3) I will probably still mainly use Waze!

Reactions: ArthurGreenWorld

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Owner on RZOC posted this ...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think it's all a work in progress.. as the toggle to turn off/on automatic map updates in the car doesn't actually toggle.. it looks like it's just a placeholder.

I think there's a difference between actually updating the maps themselves and updating the car to be able to read the maps (the map reading libraries).. Best way to check is look at your maps version and check with Renault CONNECT Toolbox (may also want to read ZE50 map updates).

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
746 Posts
I've just been through the loop to 'update' the maps on my ZE50. The link to download the Connect toolbox is still broken, so I downloaded it from the French website, as suggested by @Matthew. (I think I had to use the login from my UK account?)

Prior to the 'update' the maps on the RLink were dated March 2020.

I have a USB stick that I have previously inserted in the ZOE. I believe that this act formats the USB stick in some way and adds files including the VIN of the car (see the opening page of the Connect toolbox). I used the Connect toolbox to download all the update files (you can optionally select areas) onto the USB stick.

Before inserting the USB stick back in the ZOE, I removed a second USB stick (containing music files) from the car. I don't think the update works if you have second USB stick in place, but might be wrong.

I then inserted the USB stick containing the update and, after a delay, the update of the maps commenced and took about 25 minutes to complete. I left the car with continuous APC activated (the DC/DC convertor to charge the 12V battery stays on) by pressing and holding the Power button until the message came up. The system said the update was complete.

However, when I check the map status they are still dated March 2020!!!! :( I've no idea if anything has been update in reality.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
555 Posts
I've just been through the loop to 'update' the maps on my ZE50. The link to download the Connect toolbox is still broken, so I downloaded it from the French website, as suggested by @Matthew. (I think I had to use the login from my UK account?)

Prior to the 'update' the maps on the RLink were dated March 2020.

I have a USB stick that I have previously inserted in the ZOE. I believe that this act formats the USB stick in some way and adds files including the VIN of the car (see the opening page of the Connect toolbox). I used the Connect toolbox to download all the update files (you can optionally select areas) onto the USB stick.

Before inserting the USB stick back in the ZOE, I removed a second USB stick (containing music files) from the car. I don't think the update works if you have second USB stick in place, but might be wrong.

I then inserted the USB stick containing the update and, after a delay, the update of the maps commenced and took about 25 minutes to complete. I left the car with continuous APC activated (the DC/DC convertor to charge the 12V battery stays on) by pressing and holding the Power button until the message came up. The system said the update was complete.

However, when I check the map status they are still dated March 2020!!!! :( I've no idea if anything has been update in reality.
Do you have the option to select maps as the ZE40 does? I wonder if the update is actually a new map as it was from the French site, and needs to be selected? I bought a Western Europe map for my ZE40 and can use either that or original the GB & Ireland map.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
746 Posts
Do you have the option to select maps as the ZE40 does? I wonder if the update is actually a new map as it was from the French site, and needs to be selected? I bought a Western Europe map for my ZE40 and can use either that or original the GB & Ireland map.
I had a ZE40 before the ZE50. The two systems have totally different interfaces. I have three years free mapping for Europe from purchase so haven't had to find out how to purchase an extension yet.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had asked Renault customer support about the broken links before posting on 22nd April. I've had a reply from them giving me direct links to the executables, so you can download without going through the French website:

For Windows: https://tbxhostingprodcustomer.blob...indows/exe/Renault CONNECT Toolbox-latest.exe

For Mac: https://tbxhostingprodcustomer.blob...lt/mac/dmg/Renault CONNECT Toolbox-latest.dmg

I've let them know that the links on the UK site are still broken (at least for me on Chrome on a PC). I've also asked for clarification on OTA updates for the maps.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,382 Posts
BREAKING!!

Renault Connect Toolbox just self-updated successfully when I started it. It also successfully recognised a typed VIN! 🤯

It's currently downloading (surprisingly slowly on 35mb broadband) map version 2020.06

·
Registered
746 Posts
BREAKING!!

Renault Connect Toolbox just self-updated successfully when I started it. It also successfully recognised a typed VIN! 🤯

It's currently downloading (surprisingly slowly on 35mb broadband) map version 2020.06
I've downloaded it and the '2020.06' maps.

Having installed the maps on the car, the settings page says that they are version 2021.01. Go figure!

Still updates at a six-month interval, delayed by 5 months from publishing date.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts