Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I sincerely hope you'll get the My Renault app soon in the UK. Renault Germany have been great at finally getting Connected Services to work between the phone and the car, and so I'll tease a little bit the "send route to car" feature. There are some gaps though, don't have too high expectations

Note: the German app is only in German. My phone is set to English, but the app doesn't give a crap about it. Also, sometimes it returns errors in French, which is hilarious.

App starts, here's the main page:

You get the current state of charge, and when it was last checked. I haven't toyed with it too much, but it looks like the request is done by the phone on a minute by minute basis when the app is active. Car is unplugged and did 4483 km so far. In a month!

"Klimatisierung" is for climate control, but I haven't truly figured it out yet, I'll give it some time to understand it. It seems you need to program it and will not start if the car is not plugged in. There's also another option below for programming the charging, but I'm not going into it because I don't charge at home, so I can't really test it.

Anyways, at the bottom, tap on the map pointer and you get the map; I hid where my car was at the time (privacy)

Top right buttons, in order from the top: show charging stations in the area, show Renault dealerships in the area, the plus sign means further options which currently allows you to show gas stations.

Bottom buttons, in order from the left: my current location, my car's location, (marked with blue below) state of charge and range area:

I'm hoping soon to travel to Dortmund soonish, which is just shy of the range of the car:

Hit the blue arrow at the bottom of the map and you get two options: route and send to car:

First I choose "route" in app:

Shows distance and travel time 3h9m, including 35 mins of charging, plus the arrival time. Additionally, swiping up will show the required charging stops (you can define with which range you want to arrive at charging stations and at the final destination; I chose 50% at the destination, 40% at charging stations):

Tapping on each charging station will show the plugs needed and who the operator is; you cannot start charging from here. Tap on the blue arrow with car at the bottom to send it to the car:

At the top, the green message states: the route has been sent to your Renault. 5-10 seconds later it's in the car as a message at the top of the multimedia screen:

And here are where the issues start. If there are charging stations on the route, it will send the route only up until the last charging station - not good at all. Meinerzhagen is the last waypoint on the route calculated correctly by the app, but it's sent as destination to the car. I tried other routes too, but always did the same.

Tap on Go and the route is activated in the car's navigation system:
IMG_5516.JPG

Also, it seems it is not sending the charging stations from the route, as calculated by the app, as waypoints, which is a real bummer. I think there's potential for improvements right there and hopefully they'll fix some of these before it comes out in the UK.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Note: the German app is only in German. My phone is set to English, but the app doesn't give a crap about it. Also, sometimes it returns errors in French, which is hilarious.
I can fully believe that, although I can confirm that there are a reasonably-full set of translations included in the app... I guess they've just literally hardcoded it to the language of each region they make the app available in.

hopefully they'll fix some of these before it comes out in the UK.
I hope for their sake the bug's in the app or their server code, and not the on-car software!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope for their sake the bug's in the app or their server code, and not the on-car software!
I believe that it's an app issue. It probably is not configured to send waypoints in the jSON/XML data to the car. I would avoid, as a sub-par programmer, to send data that cannot be used by the client.

And I believe they just re-use the code from Clio/Kadjar (they use the same app actally), in which case... sending a petrol station as a waypoint would be pointless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts