Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line & Hyundai Ioniq 38kW Premium
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

Just been out to clear the snow off my drive. The Zoe hasn't been used for around 48 hours.

I noticed a very quiet fan noise and fast clicking sound coming from the charge port. Is this normal? I would have thought that the car would be completely shut down. The key was no where near.

Thanks

Phil

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
If its plugged into AC it shouldn't be clicking, that suggests the solenoid isn't engaging.

Light fan noise could be normal if the car is plugged in.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
Car not plugged in. Just parked up for 48 hours.
Seems odd then. Does the ZE50 have active battery pack heating?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Reactions: pob42

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link.
Good to know I'm not the only one. Just really strange overall!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
Perhaps someone could routinely check their OS version and confirm if on the days when its ticking and whirring that it hasn't indeed performed an OTA update? I think I asked this last time.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ours does this too.. When it's cold, at the end of a journey it can make a loud fan noise for a couple of minutes after switching off. The nose also 'ticks'. I think it does this when it wakes up and connects to the servers. @pob42 did you happen to notice this behaviour around a time when you have a timed charged set for, even though it wasn't plugged in?

Reactions: Dave Barr

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
Maybe its just the exhaust cooling down after a run..... :eek::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Spike - I don't have any timed charges set at the moment. I hardly charge at home at the moment as my local Asda has free 50KW CCS available and we go there most weeks anyway.

I went out earlier and no sign of the noise at all. As you have suggested it may have just woken up for a while to connect to the servers. I'll try and check on it more frequently whilst parked up.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
On the occasions I have had this happen the car has not been plugged in, no timed charges/pre cons set, it just seems to wake which can happen when its sat unused for days. last time I left it for ~ 40 mins and was still clicking away, had to open and shut door to shut it down.

@Sandy I did keep an eye out for updates but unless it installs some smaller updates without notification its not that as you have to check for any OTA updates and then initiate them.

Reactions: Dave Barr and Spike

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
On the occasions I have had this happen the car has not been plugged in, no timed charges/pre cons set, it just seems to wake which can happen when its sat unused for days. last time I left it for ~ 40 mins and was still clicking away, had to open and shut door to shut it down.

@Sandy I did keep an eye out for updates but unless it installs some smaller updates without notification its not that as you have to check for any OTA updates and then initiate them.

Even back in Q210 days it was clear Renault can check your car whenever they please via the TCU and where they see fit roll out updates (although because it was edge connection they rarely did). They clearly collected usage data, they even used it in their famed (infamous) 23.3kWh video didn't they. Quoting how many miles Zoes had covered in total over a degredation graph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine also makes this sound " fast clicking sound " since I picked it up 8 months ago. Ive been observing it and it sometimes 'wakes up' when locked, probably to check 12V battery state, sometimes it used up around 2% during wakeup, which makes me belive it was charging the 12V battery for some time.
That clicking sound is there whenever it wakes up, if it wakes up to due to key getting close ( headlights* light up before unlocking ) it does it as well.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mine also makes this sound " fast clicking sound " since I picked it up 8 months ago. Ive been observing it and it sometimes 'wakes up' when locked, probably to check 12V battery state, sometimes it used up around 2% during wakeup, which makes me belive it was charging the 12V battery for some time.
That's a very good point, there have been numerous reports of low 12v batteries throwing up error messages on the 22 and 40kW Zoe's, so maybe the ZE50 is programmed to charge the 12v more often when the charge level drops.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That clicking sound is there whenever it wakes up, if it wakes up to due to key getting close ( headlights* light up before unlocking ) it does it as well.
Interesting - I noticed this morning the car was 2% lower than last night and wondered if it was simply settling overnight or if the car had been using the battery for something. I wondered if I was leaving the key too close to the car inside and that was upsetting it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Your 2% change is almost certainly due to temperature drop overnight.

·
Registered
Zoe R135
1 Posts
Interesting - I noticed this morning the car was 2% lower than last night and wondered if it was simply settling overnight or if the car had been using the battery for something. I wondered if I was leaving the key too close to the car inside and that was upsetting it.
Mine is also doing almost the same thing when left unused for a few days. I say "almost" because I would describe the very quiet fan noise as more of an electronic whine.The first time I thought it was a fault and would be draining the 12V battery, but found anything short of actually driving the car only stopped it temporarily. When we did drive it, things went back to normal.
The second time we realised it seemed to be connected with the car not having been used for a while. We took it for a drive after it had been clicking and whining for at least 3 1/2 hours, and noted there had been a traction battery drop of 2%.
According to Renault's website, when storing the car it is "best not to leave the battery completely empty ..., so that it can regularly recharge the small 12V battery that powers the car’s various accessories".
I take the point about a battery change being expected following a temperature drop, so it would be good to know whether the 12V battery is being charged or discharged by the activity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts