Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new ZE 50 today and am absolutely delighted to say the least. However,... (there’s always a “however”), when I set my iphone 12 Pro onto the inductive charging pad the display says remove metal from area to begin charging; and won’t charge my phone. It works fine with my family’s 3 other iphone 11. So I suspect the addition of MagSafe technology on the iphone 12 has rendered it incompatible with the Zoe inductive charging plate!

Any experience or knowledge?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
More likely, it's not compatible with the iPhone 12 on Wednesdays.

On Thursdays (as long as Capricorn is ascending), it will work flawlessly. Never on a wet Monday. Tuesdays you have to solve a riddle.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
You need to get the relevant Magsafe Charge connector and run that from a bullet charger from the 12v Aux. Why would you expect a 2019 design of car to be compatible with an iPhone 12 when Apple have the opportunity to flog you something else that's incompatible with everything else and worse than plugging in a plug?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More likely, it's not compatible with the iPhone 12 on Wednesdays.

On Thursdays (as long as Capricorn is ascending), it will work flawlessly. Never on a wet Monday. Tuesdays you have to solve a riddle.
😂🤣

·
Registered
476 Posts
its an iphone. u probably need their "apple branded" chargers or dongles. they make sure that nothing that is "universal" is compatible with their stuff.
If they ever make monitors with mounting holes on the back. they will make them VESA 99, just so your vesa 100bracket doesnt fit

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
its an iphone. u probably need their "apple branded" chargers or dongles. they make sure that nothing that is "universal" is compatible with their stuff.
If they ever make monitors with mounting holes on the back. they will make them VESA 99, just so your vesa 100bracket doesnt fit
Apple use the Qi open standard for charging.

Indeed they have pioneered many of the port standards before anyone else.

I did have an Apple monitor once and the Vesa mount worked just fine.

Now tell me more about Microsoft open standards...

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's probably something to do with the magsafe magnets in the phone causing the car to think there is something else there. I guess Renault may be able to fix it with a firmware update but Renault aren't exactly quick with these.

·
Registered
565 Posts
On a serious note, can a charging pad distinguish between different phones? I’m sure they can’t.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Apple use the Qi open standard for charging.

Indeed they have pioneered many of the port standards before anyone else.

I did have an Apple monitor once and the Vesa mount worked just fine.

Now tell me more about Microsoft open standards...
let me know when iphones come with the UNIVERSAL usb-c socket that every other manufacturer is FORCED to have instead of their own bespoke socket/chargers

·
Registered
821 Posts
My Pixel 5 and the previous Samsung S7 Edge both would display this remove metal warning occasionally. I've noticed however It's guaranteed to happen if the phone is on the pad before I've started the car, maybe a calibration issue?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
let me know when iphones come with the UNIVERSAL usb-c socket that every other manufacturer is FORCED to have instead of their own bespoke socket/chargers
You are free to buy an adapter. :)

The lighting port has been a pretty consistent standard.

Meanwhile I have a drawer full of different micro-usb cables.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Interesting as I have experimented with this recently too.

So (I asked Renault on twitter and they said they'd find out optimal charging location and then they never got back to me; but I've now figured it out) the inductive charging coil in the pad appears to be where the logo is. On the iPhone 12 the coil is exactly where the Apple logo is (and this is where the official magsafe charger will want to stick too). From my very scientific testing (read: I moved it around lots!) I learnt the following key facts:
  1. Once the remove metal items error comes up the pad will refuse to play ball until you remove and reinsert the phone.
  2. The most optimal position for the iPhone 12 is to place it in the middle (left/right) but also the furthest away from you (completely up.. deep into the charging cave). This might not feel right as you can't then see if the phone is charging easily so you probably have hesitated to push the phone as far into the charging cave as it will go.
  3. There is a lip at the top of the pad.. make sure your phone hasn't mounted the lip but is instead as furthest away from you as it can go.
  4. When using a lightning cable for carplay and the pad, make sure due to the height of the cable connector you haven't then mounted the lip of the top of the pad when you've pushed it deeper into the charging cave.
  5. When charging is happening a lightning bolt and phone icon appear on Easy-Link (you don't need to keep checking the phone).
  6. If the lightning cable is plugged into EasyLink AND it's on the wireless charging pad the Wireless charging appears to take priority over the "A to Lightning" cable. Which is ironic as normally a plugged in cable takes precedence (have not tried this with my cigarette lighter USB-PD adapter and C to Lightning yet). The A isn't really giving it much of a charge.
  7. The wireless charging pad is only active when either the car is semi started or is placed into APC mode. You're wasting your time positioning it around with the car off (yes yes I know I found out the hard way too; "why isn't this charging in the same place it was literally JUST charging before?!?")
  8. This might be a generic QI thing but you'll feel a slight attraction between the pad and the phone when it is charging and it won't want to be shuffled on the pad as easily once it is in its soft spot.. unfortunately however the remove metal items warning will ruin any proper experimentation above a gentle nudge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts