Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have created a video about the Zoe now we’ve had it a month.

In the video I manage to get air over a bump, do a couple of 0-60 runs, moan about the state of the public charging network and end up with egg all over my face as when I demonstrate how hard it is, everything goes super smoothly...

up to you if you want to watch it, but thought it might be of some interest..

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
I stopped watching after you moaned about lack of paint under the carpet.

Sounds like it’s the first ‘£30k’ car you’ve owned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame you didn’t carry on - later I describe the car as a £15,000 car with a £15,000 tech pack which to me reflects the build quality.

also I say that I think it’s a fabulous car, and all the faults, flaws and imperfections are things that I can live with, and that as a first BEV you could do a lot worse than a ZE50.

Not sure I understand your “£30,000” car comment - I’m a serial car buyer and have spent between £12,000 (Fiat 500 - so good I bought 3 between 2009 and 2014) and £109,000 (Range Rover Autobiography - the worst car I’ve ever owned!) on cars so feel pretty experienced and qualified to comment on reasonable expectations at different price points.

My current daily driver is a £30,000 Skoda Superb which - powertrain apart - is superior to the £30,000 Zoe in just about every aspect. I actually think the Superb is one of the best cars I’ve owned!

·
Registered
482 Posts
That pad does not charge the key! The key doesn’t have a rechargeable battery for a start!
The pad below is the phone charging pad...

My £90k Tesla isn’t painted under the carpets either!

also no cable bag, come on it’s not like you’re gonna put it in it anyway each time, it will just get thrown in the boot. Also my tesla didn’t come with a bag either

if your acid test for cars is a skoda superb and Fiat 500 then I don’t know what else to say.....

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
567 Posts
also no cable bag, come on it’s not like you’re gonna put it in it anyway each time, it will just get thrown in the boot. Also my tesla didn’t come with a bag either
No, but all our earlier ZOE's did come with very usable cable bags that could hang from the side of the boot, so expectations are set. At least the Tesla has a frunk / froot to throw your cables in.

I don't like the false floor that you can buy for the ZOE as I often use the depth of the boot, so I find it far better to have the cable stored in a bag to the side. And as we usually charge at home or at rapids with tethered cables it's quite rare to need to extract the cable from it's bag.

So that's the first disappointment when we pick up the ZE50 tomorrow.

Personally, I quite enjoyed Wolfie's video - makes a change from the aspiring vloggers chasing the clicks. But I do agree that it's actually a good thing to cut down the amount of paint applied wherever possible.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Our dealer was happy for us to keep our cable bag when we traded our ZE40 in. We also use full depth of the boot often, so the false floor wouldn’t work for us either. Why don’t you ask them, or just keep it anyway?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
567 Posts
We didn't keep the bag because we sold the ZE40 for a good price (far better than trade in) a few weeks before picking up the ZE50, and didn't know we wouldn't get a cable bag with the new one! What with that and the missing buttons on the new key fob ...

However, we do have a spare cable bag with velcro strips on the back that fasten to the side of the boot, in addition to a strap to go over the hook. That will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Our dealer was happy for us to keep our cable bag when we traded our ZE40 in. We also use full depth of the boot often, so the false floor wouldn’t work for us either. Why don’t you ask them, or just keep it anyway?
Yeah, when we part-exed our 40 we had left the bag in the car but the dealer asked if we would like to have it. Yes, please, we replied. Thank you!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That pad does not charge the key! The key doesn’t have a rechargeable battery for a start!
The pad below is the phone charging pad...

My £90k Tesla isn’t painted under the carpets either!

if your acid test for cars is a skoda superb and Fiat 500 then I don’t know what else to say.....
I stand corrected on the key thing then, thanks. It’s a it confusing as there is a printed key symbol with rays radiating from it stamped into the rubber matting, which to me looks like it charges the key 😂

Cable bag - horses for courses. I expect that we will put the cable away in the bag each use, but can also see that when it’s sheeting down with rain I’m not going to want to stand around while I put the cable neatly away, and will chuck it in the boot, so you are likely to be proved right from time to time...but it will deffo end up back in the bag at the earliest opportunity.

I think with the paint, I just feel a bit cheated. The paint was an expensive option and maybe my expectations that the whole car would be painted and not just the bits you see were unreasonable. But it’s my opinion and I stand by it 🤓

thanks for the feedback 👍🏻

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good to see your thoughts, a little bit of nitpicking I think though!

Just out of interest did you try and get the boot storage as part of the package? I didn't really bother and have bought a basic boot liner. Regarding a cable bag, they seem to coil up fine so do you really need a bag at all? And obviously when it's peeing down does anyone actually stand there coiling it up or do they just lob it in uncoiled.

Pre-conditioning works for me! 👌 Make sure you have all the updates installed.

For me the drive is comfortable. After a 2 hour drive I'm fine (y)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Dion Rust thanks for your feedback.

I did try to get a flat floor kit from the dealer as part of the deal, but didn’t get anywhere. I’ll probably fork out and get one, the boot will have enough height for our needs with the floor in (accepting that it will rob some of the space in the boot).

Great news on pre conditioning, I saw your post on “deliveries” and thought “ooh, looks like app is fixed”. So I’ll look at that later today. Happy days if it is fixed 👏🏻👏🏻

We also find the car comfortable, glad your enjoying your Zoe.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
One thing I did have to get was the central arm rest. For the longer journeys it's definitely necessary in my opinion. Will fit that today if I have time.
Armrest is very good but a bit less storage space under the lid than the ones I fitted to previous Zoe's.
As long as you have a pop rivet gun and 4.2mm drill its a ten minute job to fit.

I did not realise until two days ago the cushion part of the armrest actually extends forward if needed which I do as being small I have the seat quite far forward.

Regards the bag for cable, the cable on my ZE50 is thicker than the old cable so would need to be coiled quite tightly to fit the bag, I have the underfloor storage and even there need to coil it tightly to fit the storage sections.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
I've yet to see a fully accurate youtube video. But at least your honest.

Enjoy your £17k with a £30k price tag. The price of the ZE50 is a lot higher than the ZE40, personally I don't think the massive hike in price justifies the partial upgrade in trim and mild facelift. The price of batteries is dropping so why has the price of the Zoe kept going up. As you say the partial paintjob is just poor, but fairly prevalent on many cars. The untrimmed boot is unforgivable, it was pretty poor on the 2012 model but clearly down to a price, but now the price has increased so much it should be finished with a trim panel.

Also a smidge disappointing to see the 0-60. For info flooring the car in Eco mode isn't eco mode, it gives you full power, so the 0-60 won't be quicker in normal mode.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @Sandy .

I was surprised when the 0-60 was actually better than I’d expected in Eco, I had forgotten that Eco would probably be over ridden if you hoof it. I hadn’t meant to do the 0-60 in Eco, just with my usual ineptitude I didn’t notice it was on until I was midway through the run 🤦🏼

You echo my sentiments exactly about the poor finish. I will soon be doing a review of a £30,000 car and every panel is trimmed, there are no sharp edges anywhere, and unlike the Zoe, it doesn’t rattle from the trim.. (Zoe mostly doesn’t now that I’ve fixed it, but there is still a rattle from the dashboard on certain surfaces.)

I am a great fan of the BEV and currently see the motive power as being more important than the fit and finish, or indeed price.

But if there is to be wider adoption of BEVs I think we fans need to stop kidding ourselves that what we will put up with is not necessarily acceptable to the wider public.

For £30,000 you can buy for example an A4 Audi, (or lower down the range), a 3 series BMW (or lower down the range), various Hondas, Mercedes C class (or lower down the range), just about any Skoda and various VWs. Look at the fit and finish of any of those ICE cars at roughly the same money as a Zoe comes in at, and unless you specifically want a BEV, you’d laugh at the Zoe and buy something else.

Battery cost is falling so I think it is time manufacturer’s BEV offerings started to up their game, in terms of quality, or hacking the price back.

As I mention, I specifically wanted a BEV and am prepared to live with the quality: but I don’t delude myself that it is a value/quality for money proposition and my video simply reflects my feeling as a private punter who has parted with his hard earned cash!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
Battery cost is falling so I think it is time manufacturer’s BEV offerings started to up their game, in terms of quality, or hacking the price back.
Exactly this, if the 50 pack cost less to produce than the 40 pack, and you could get a 40 i model for £17k a year ago, is the ZE50 worth £13k more? For LED lights, a very mild nip/tuck and a dash refresh?

Reactions: Wolfieofbaildon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have created a video about the Zoe now we’ve had it a month.

In the video I manage to get air over a bump, do a couple of 0-60 runs, moan about the state of the public charging network and end up with egg all over my face as when I demonstrate how hard it is, everything goes super smoothly...

up to you if you want to watch it, but thought it might be of some interest..

I think thats a fair review.

What disappointed me somewhat was no cup holders in the rear, nor air vents. I didn't even check this when we viewed the car. The carpeting in the boot is terrible as is the carpeting in general for that matter. The screen, while larger than average has a fairly pants user interface, but that is quite easily solved using Android Auto or CarPlay.

Other than that, I think it's a superb little car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts