Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Had my ZE50 for about 4 months, 1500 miles. Noticed over the last few days that the wheel alignment is off, but definitely haven't hit a kerb or any major potholes etc. Tyres also at the correct pressures. Definitely wasn't like this when it was delivered. Did blow a tyre a month ago but it was one on the rear.

If I let go of the steering wheel it naturally wants to rest at 11o'clock (and car pulls to the left). If I want to keep the car in a straight line I need to keep the wheel at 1o'clock. Holding the wheel straight makes the car pull to the left.

Is this just an unfortunate thing with my ZE50 or have other people experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
507 Posts
That’s a strange one, considering it has been curbed or similar. I’d definitely take it to a local tyre place or dealers for them to check the tracking.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
563 Posts
It is an electrically assisted steering rack so it is possible for the system to fault and cause a wrong null position. I’d hardball nicely with Renault and get them to check it under warranty before your front tyres get scrubbed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a strange one, considering it has been curbed or similar. I’d definitely take it to a local tyre place or dealers for them to check the tracking.
It is an electrically assisted steering rack so it is possible for the system to fault and cause a wrong null position. I’d hardball nicely with Renault and get them to check it under warranty before your front tyres get scrubbed.
I'll give my local Renault garage a call I guess and see what they say. It's not my car so at the end of the day if Renault kick back about it I'll go via Elmo instead and get them to sort it.

Just wondered if it was just my bad luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi
Had the same after 2 months of ownership, I took it to Renault and they took it to a wheel alignment place, and it corrected the problem. I did not pay for it, it was part of the warranty.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Had the same after 2 months of ownership, I took it to Renault and they took it to a wheel alignment place, and it corrected the problem. I did not pay for it, it was part of the warranty.
It seems worse this morning, so definitely will call Renault and see what they say. I let go of the steering wheel at slow speed and it set itself to about 10o'clock and pulled left. Felt like I really had to work a little harder to keep the car in a straight line.

Did you report something similar?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, if I let go of the steering it would really pull to the left, like you I had not hit anything, but it just seemed to get gradually worse.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earliest my local Renault garage can do is 18th May(!!) despite the gentleman's concern, so going to call another one about 20 minutes away to see if they can do any earlier - otherwise I'm going to get Elmo to sort it instead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Second Renault Garage seemed a little more concerned and have advised me to just ring Renault Assist and not drive the car at all. So now waiting for the RAC to arrive.

May end up being recovered and me getting a hire car. Hopefully it's an EV otherwise the "who pays for my petrol" discussion is going to be fun.

Update: RAC arrived, drove car, technician not happy, so off to the Renault Garage it's gone. Renault have no cars to give me for a loaner, may be able to look at it tomorrow (big maybe) otherwise might not be until at least Monday. Urgh.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What if the wheel is turned full lock both ways. Would the system make a new null position (Where it should be) or does it have to be configured remotely?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What if the wheel is turned full lock both ways. Would the system make a new null position (Where it should be) or does it have to be configured remotely?
The RAC technician said it was probable that Renault would look at a wheel alignment first, as there was no obvious play in the wheel, arms, suspension etc and there was no damage.

I'm hoping that they do get to look at it today, and hopefully can get the wheels aligned to start with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue, constant pulling to left (steering wheel not centred) at low speed. Wheel alignment was fine but ended up sub frame needed adjustment, local dealership fixed it after months of back and forward.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heard back from Renault, apparently car is sorted and I can collect it in the morning. They say mechanically it was fine; they did a software update to the lane assist feature and then took it for a drive and that seems to have fixed it or so they say.

I’m not fully convinced but will see how I find it when I pick it up tomorrow.

My question though is why they didn’t bother to do ALL the relevant software updates when my car had the BMS SOH fix done?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heard back from Renault, apparently car is sorted and I can collect it in the morning. They say mechanically it was fine; they did a software update to the lane assist feature and then took it for a drive and that seems to have fixed it or so they say.

I’m not fully convinced but will see how I find it when I pick it up tomorrow.

My question though is why they didn’t bother to do ALL the relevant software updates when my car had the BMS SOH fix done?
You think they would but that's far too sensible for Renault.

Get them to check the sub frame if their fix hasn’t worked, what you described is exactly what my ZE50 had wrong.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You think they would but that's far too sensible for Renault.

Get them to check the sub frame if their fix hasn’t worked, what you described is exactly what my ZE50 had wrong.
Just picked it up. No reports of any software update on the paperwork. Was told it was the Lane Assist doing its job. Switched it off and drove out of the car park. Still pulls to the left. Not sure why lane assist would keep me away from the centre and force me in to the kerb.

Nice to have your intelligence insulted and for them to not actually do anything. Stupidly cancelled Renault Assist’s hire car offer this morning as well.

Going to leave this up to Elmo now, I’m not keen on spending any more time on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just picked it up. No reports of any software update on the paperwork. Was told it was the Lane Assist doing its job. Switched it off and drove out of the car park. Still pulls to the left. Not sure why lane assist would keep me away from the centre and force me in to the kerb.

Nice to have your intelligence insulted and for them to not actually do anything. Stupidly cancelled Renault Assist’s hire car offer this morning as well.

Going to leave this up to Elmo now, I’m not keen on spending any more time on it.
It isn't lane assist, they tried to fob me off with that excuse too!

Sent video evidence to Renault after the dealer kept saying there wasn’t an issue for months and visiting a number of other 'Renault recommenced' expert garages...who also said no issue (even though they all drove the car and experienced the pulling).

Renault contacted the dealer and told them what they had to do to fix, as said before sub frame was the issue.

In the end a simple fix that took way too long to get sorted

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It isn't lane assist, they tried to fob me off with that excuse too!

Sent video evidence to Renault after the dealer kept saying there wasn’t an issue for months and visiting a number of other 'Renault recommenced' expert garages...who also said no issue (even though they all drove the car and experienced the pulling).

Renault contacted the dealer and told them what they had to do to fix, as said before sub frame was the issue.

In the end a simple fix that took way too long to get sorted
Ended up driving my car back to Renault and leaving it with them, but not before videoing myself driving around a car park with the car pulling to the left. Pointless it sitting outside my house so at least it’s their problem again.

The lady I collected my car from was very apologetic and said it would be looked at first thing on Monday, but I’m not holding my breath. This is now the third time it’s been in for some work in less than 2000 miles. Now I’m starting to understand how the people in the VW ID.3 threads are feeling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts