Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ZCW shop will be closing this month. We have been so successful at selling EV components that we are in danger of transforming the charity into a commercial business which is not part of our long term plan. The products we have developed will in future be sold by Mainpine through it’s global network of resellers and distributors, while ZCW continues to expand it’s charitable electric vehicle, renewables, and reforestation projects.

If you've been considering OVMS or a home build Charging Station now's the time to buy :)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
So, will the general public still be able to buy from Mainpine?

Will costs now go through the roof?

Will ZCW still be able to supply warranty replacements?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, will the general public still be able to buy from Mainpine?
Mainpine does not sell direct to the general public. However, customers will be able to buy from a network of resellers and distributors in local countries and local currencies. I expect to announce the first resellers next week although the major Mainpine EV announcements are scheduled for the end Q1.

Will costs now go through the roof?
No reason they should... Mainpine technology is already in a large percentage of UK Charging Stations and IMO we've driven pieces down despite OLEV's best efforts ;)

Will ZCW still be able to supply warranty replacements?
Yes. ZCW is now being run by volunteers and the trustees without any paid staff.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
No reason they should... Mainpine technology is already in a large percentage of UK Charging Stations and IMO we've driven pieces down despite OLEV's best efforts ;)
My worry is that we were lead to believe that the ZCW model was:

* Minepine make and sell to ZCW at small or no profit
* ZCW sell to public at small or no profit

Now:

* Mainpine sell to resellers at (modest?) profit
* Resellers sell to public at (healthy?) profit

Sounds more expensive.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Nothing stopping you or anyone else from setting up a business and competing if you think the prices are too high :)
I think you misunderstood - I just meant that going from a model that was based on a charity that had a stated aim of increasing EV uptake, to a "business" based one driven by profit is likely to increase prices.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Sorry the shop is closing Kevin but thanks for letting me know, have been meaning to get round to getting a cable for a while now as it may just save my bacon at one of these rapid chargers one day :) just placed the order, cheapest place that I have seen for one of these cables, I dont like the look of the orange cable on Ebay.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I received my OVMS kits yesterday.

Great price and delivered NEXT DAY for free!!!

It will be a shame to see the ZCW shop close. I also bought my type1/2 cable from ZCW and if anyone is thinking about getting a cable or OVMS kit then don't think - DO IT before they close!

I can see how having a shop and employed staff could be difficult for a charity so I can understand why this might be necessary. :(

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes I can understand the reason for it shutting too, the cable they sell is better than the orange cable and it is 50 quid cheaper than you can get anywhere else, I dont ever level 2 charge but the cable will pay for itself if I only ever need it once, so if anyone like me has been putting off getting a cable now is the time to get one as I can only see the price going up after this.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I guess that forces my hand on the type 2-1 cable I have resisted for so long, also. On the other hand - I've managed without for so long now, and it will never pay for itself. decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
yes I held off for ages thinking I wouldn't need one, the second hand ones on eBay were holding their prices really well too. So I would get one if you find you dont need it or use it you won't have any problem selling it.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully I will get some advice regarding the SIM and set-up if needed?
a nice bunch of people work on the OVMS project and you'll never be on your own... I'm sure @Paul_Churchley will be an invaluable resource once he's up to speed on the Ampera and Leaf. We also have Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield with OVMS in both a Volt and Leaf :)

I've started thinking about the next generation hardware. I would really like it to support both OVMS and GEVCU so that we have a much larger group developers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Following 2 failures of charging in Milton Keynes using the Vauxhall Ampera supplied 10/5amp charger and the forth coming closure of the shop at ZCW have ordered a type1 to type 2 cable from ZCW today.
Sorry to see the shop go, have been contemplating ordering one for some time due to the lack of 13amp posts and the closure was the final push for me to go ahead.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have the kit and sim now so I am hoping to install on the Ampera Monday or Tuesday next week.

I have decided to go with GeoSim. The credit never expires and the sim can be kept active for just £5 per year.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
I am just looking at the GeoSim website. Am I right in thinking it is the 'UK GeoSIM including £10 credit' that will do? Obviously I do not want to run up extensive bills and i would hope that the data transfer will be small and that the £10 should last quick some time depending on usage.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts