Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,682 Posts
IMO, chasing after the 0.1% is a waste of time and effort.

Instead, a better approach may be some kind of renumeration rule, which ensures that employees are appropriately rewarded for the value they create. This would distribute the tax burden more broadly and keep more money in the economy. Like this guy:

That's very impressive!

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
290 Posts
I think we might be about to catch up on you in Sweden, with social care being integrated with the NHS, instead of being privately funded.
No need to catch up with Sweden at all. I honestly don't believe we have so much better health care or social services than UK. I envy the German system, but even there, it is mostly tax financed as far as I know. The thing is, there are many areas which are tax financed, even areas which everyone, even the richest, are using, like fire fighters, roads, police, military and so on... We need the VAT on luxury items like EV.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Without some form of subsidy and/or legislation there will be no switch to EVs. Manufacturers are secretive about the numbers but it seems that at the moment there is no profit in EVs. Even with the UK subsidy a battery car of family size is up to £10k more than the ICE equivalent and this is only partially offset by fuel cost savings. The time to remove subsidies is when there is clear evidence that EVs are commercially viable without fiscal intervention.

Kia Nero Self charging £25k
Kia Nero Plug-in Hybrid £30k
Kia Nero EV £35k (incl. grant).

·
Banned
843 Posts
Without some form of subsidy and/or legislation there will be no switch to EVs. Manufacturers are secretive about the numbers but it seems that at the moment there is no profit in EVs. Even with the UK subsidy a battery car of family size is up to £10k more than the ICE equivalent and this is only partially offset by fuel cost savings. The time to remove subsidies is when there is clear evidence that EVs are commercially viable without fiscal intervention.

Kia Nero Self charging £25k - ongoing lifetime parts and servicing profit, mechanical repairs profits, brake pads, exhausts, DPF, oil and filters.
Kia Nero Plug-in Hybrid £30k - ongoing lifetime parts and servicing profit, mechanical repairs profits, brake pads, exhausts, DPF, oil and filters, but slightly less due to battery.
Kia Nero EV £35k (incl. grant). - No maintenance profit, very few parts sales, brake pads last 100k miles. Ok, lets make our profit in the initial sale then
Explanation! Simples. Ta Da.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Having now left EU the UK could change VAT on EVs unilaterally, but would need to be careful it wasn't seen as benefiting Porsche buyers (etc.) too much. Perhaps 5% on first £30K and then 10% on up to £50K max? We still want to encourage people to buy more expensive EVs (Tesla, Polestar, etc) vs ICE so best to offer something? This would reduce cost of £30K car to £26,250 so a bit more than PICG.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I can't see there being any tax cuts now.
I agree unlikely UK will do it, but was suggesting they could and loss of revenue would probably not be that much more than cost of PICG. With the new Zoe and e208 around £30K before PICG there is no real sign of prices coming down, so hopefully that will continue for a while.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts