Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the current list 68 Best Western Hotels in the UK that have ZCW Charging Stations installed :D

Annesley House Hotel
Aston Hall Hotel
Banbury House Hotel
Beaumont Hotel
Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel
Best Western Centurion Hotel
Best Western Henbury Lodge
Best Western Hotel Bristol
Best Western Hotel Group
Best Western Kinloch Hotel
Best Western Monkbar Hotel
Best Western Mount Pleasant
Best Western Plus Windmill Village Hotel
Best Western Premier Moor Hall Hotel
Best Western Premier Yew Lodge Hotel
Best Western Restormel Lodge Hotel
Best Western Tiverton Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Bruntsfield Hotel
Cheltenham Regency Hotel
Cliff Head Hotel
Connaught Hotel
Cresta Court Hotel
Dean Court Hotel
Derwent Manor Hotel
Forest Hills Hotel
Forest Lodge
Frensham Pond Hotel
Glendower Promenade Hotel
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Heath Court Hotel
Heronston Hotel
Hotel Gleneagles
Hotel Royale
Keavil House Hotel
Kenwick Park Hotel
Kings Manor Hotel
Knights Hill Hotel
Lancashire Manor Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Lee Wood Hotel
Leicester Stage Hotel
Llyndir Hall Hotel
Lovat Hotel
Milford Hotel
Mosborough Hall Hotel
Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Complex
Nottingham Derby
Old Tollgate Restaurant & Hotel
Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
Parkmore Hotel & Leisure Club
Parkway Hotel
Philipburn Country House Hotel
Pinewood on Wilmslow
Roebuck Inn
Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel
Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Russell Hotel
Swan Hotel Wells
The Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa
The Bell Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
The Grange at Oborne
The Red Lion Hotel
Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club
Wroxton House Hotel
York Pavilion Hotel

Best Western are currently adding EV charging to their maps and online Hotel selection tools.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I've used several of this points, with only one hiccup.
You need to respect the protocol of checking in at reception and getting permission. Whilst it is no necessarily an obligation to night stop - I would suggest that you should at least take a snack. I can be rather pleasant having 'tea and scones' whilst reading your Telegraph (or Guardian) as the amps trickle away! I have occasionally been asked for payment - that is for your discretion. If I take my snack, I wouldn't expect to pay!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I will Kevin. Thanks.

Just to say though that I felt the position was perfect. Not a marked bay so no one would think of parking there and right at the front by the entrance. Friendly service too even calling me proactively to confirm its availability.

My only comment... they charged £5. I am not against them charging at all if that is what they want to do but I would hope that hotels would see the amount of electricity as insignificant and offer it for free to guests. Perhaps free to overnight guests but chargeable to day visitors? Either way, whether they charge or not, I would use them again and I appreciated their service. No complaints at all.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to say though that I felt the position was perfect. Not a marked bay so no one would think of parking there and right at the front by the entrance. Friendly service too even calling me proactively to confirm its availability.
That sounds great, thanks! We've been working hard with the installers and many now think like EV drivers :)

My only comment... they charged £5. I am not against them charging at all if that is what they want to do but I would hope that hotels would see the amount of electricity as insignificant and offer it for free to guests.
That would be valuable feedback for Best Western HQ. I fully agree and know at board level they want free charging for paying guests and intend to build it into their future franchise agreement.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Hotels like to receive accolades via Trip Advisor. I did it for the BW Pavillion in York, when I used the ZCW.

They spotted the TripAdvisor entry and GM e-mail to express appreciation for the 'bouquets'.

If they invest in a charge point (hardware donated by ZCW) - then its great politics to make sure it gets noted a 'business advantage'.

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
280 Posts
And a big thank you to Parkway Cwmbran and ZCW where I got my first public charge !!
I was asked to meet there middle of the day ( isn't it irritating when work interrupts your charging schedule ;) !!) then remembered this post and thought I'd give it a try.
The spaces weren't marked but my luck was in and one bay was free. Just needed reception / maintenance man to connect up and all sorted.
I got a few extra miles they got 2 rounds of coffee orders. Will go again for sure ! :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
I saw the two points that are installed at the Red Lion Salisbury. At the time they did not appear to be very public being behind locked gates and both Iced.
Geoff

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw the two points that are installed at the Red Lion Salisbury. At the time they did not appear to be very public being behind locked gates and both Iced.
Did you feedback to ZCW or the Red Lion? Without feedback it's hard to improve the service :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure what constructive feedback I could have given as parking is obviously at a premium and it would have been unreasonable for me to expect their guests to move so that I could park not being a guest myself. It is good to see that Best Western have installed these points but it seems to me that in reality they are for patrons only and not public use. But I may have been wrong in my assumption.
Geoff

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is good to see that Best Western have installed these points but it seems to me that in reality they are for patrons only and not public use. But I may have been wrong in my assumption.
Best Western are providing charging for the patrons of their hotels and restaurants. My advice is to call ahead if you wish to use the charging... you'll then be fully informed about the requirements and they will ensure the parking space is free :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
I've had good experience with BW and some less so. You need to be aware that all these hotels are franchises, so there is no BW-wide policy on charger availability, or pricing. Most are 'over-managed' and things like EV connecting to their power will ripple up to the highest level!
I think its fair to say - that you should only use them - if you are giving custom! It does not need to be a night-stop - a meal, or snack - should suffice.
Whoever visits a BW facility will be 'one of the few' that has ever used them - so your demeanour will count for a lot, in terms of keeping the facility available long-term.
Frankly - the charging will invariably take hours, so fork out for a light meal, read the newspapers in the lounge, and enjoy the experience!
EV-driving should be pleasurable, after all!
PS I keep hoping BW (or one of their hotels) will come up with a 'deal' for EV Drivers!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My only comment... they charged £5. I am not against them charging at all if that is what they want to do but I would hope that hotels would see the amount of electricity as insignificant and offer it for free to guests. Perhaps free to overnight guests but chargeable to day visitors? Either way, whether they charge or not, I would use them again and I appreciated their service. No complaints at all.
I'm confused about that (thinking of staying there soon). Their website is quite up-front about the £5 fee (though it doesn't say whether that is per charge or per stay), but Wi-Fi is advertised as free and the Zero Carbon World site says "We have a fair play pricing policy on charging. Most ZeroNet locations offer charging to their customers for free in exchange for custom and those that don't do not charge more than they do for wifi access."
So is there a ZeroNet fair play pricing policy or not?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Duncan I thought it was £5 per night of stay that you wanted charging. So, I had assumed (though I might be wrong) that if you stayed 2 nights and charged both nights then you would be charged £10.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
@Duncan I thought it was £5 per night of stay that you wanted charging. So, I had assumed (though I might be wrong) that if you stayed 2 nights and charged both nights then you would be charged £10.
I expect that's what they meant, so I've written to them asking them to clarify, pointing out that a £5 fee saves me nothing over buying petrol (and costs a lot more if I stay more than one day and only need a part charge) and suggesting that (as per ZeroNet's aspirations) I would willingly pay as much for a charge as they charge for WiFi. I'll report back on their reply.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts