Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably one for @Kevin Sharpe I would assume.

I really like what ZeroNet appear to be doing, and the way their infrastructure is rolling out makes a lot of sense. But to me, what doesn't make so much sense is how to use the chargers?

Is there a standard fee? Are some free? What are the min and max chargeable rates (if any)? When are they available?

The only times (so far) I've seen ZeroNet as an option were unplanned charge top-ups, but because if this uncertainty on the road, I didn't go and gambled on further away charge points I know I have a card for.

Can anyone who's used ZeroNet explain how it works, or is there no "standard answer", which is why I can't find one?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Can anyone who's used ZeroNet explain how it works, or is there no "standard answer", which is why I can't find one?
There is no standard answer because the Charging Stations are owned and maintained by the host sites... however, I think we can safely say that 99% of the host sites will give you a free charge if you stay, eat, or play with them... some (like the Arden Hotel in Stratford Upon Avon) will even allow you to charge without using any other service for a nominal fee (£3 iirc at the Arden).

We encourage EV drivers to call when considering a booking for a stay, meal, or activity. The host site will then ensure the space is not ICE'd and that the Charging Station is turned on, etc. As the volume of EV visitors increases the host sites will expand their offering and change parking from EV priority to EV only with multiple parking spaces reserved. Unfortunately, today the volume of EV's is to low for any business to allocated permanent spaces.

It's also worth remembering that we update the OpenChargeMap database with Charging Station status using the reports that we receive and this automatically updates the ZeroNet website so you can check whether a host site is working. In the near future OpenChargeMap will receive these updates automatically via OpenVehicle hardware fitted to EV's and that will offer realtime status across all charging networks :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I just turned up at the Stratton's Hotel, Swaffham and asked for a charge. I offered to pay but they wouldn't hear of it and were all very helpful. I am sure they would have been happy for me to charge without buying anything but as I needed breakfast anyway I asked if I could buy breakfast and had an excellent breakfast while I got my free charge.

http://www.strattonshotel.com/

The only thing I would say about ZeroNet is that if you weren't going to buy their products or services of a ZeroNet location business anyway then it is their choice as to whether they will allow you to charge. However, every ZeroNet location I have used have been pleased to see me and pleased that EVs are using their chargers so I would expect you might get a good reception but if it were me I would try to always use their services or buy something anyway. They have supported us by installing charging and as I would never expect to get something for free so I would always want to support them by using their business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts