Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Out this morning to blue skies and full sunshine. I was on the way into the office at Penrhyn when I had to stop. See why above! Richard the General Manager was on his way in and we stopped to have a chat about the latest edition to the property. The new Nissan Leaf was busy consuming the electricity from the 50kw on site PV array. Feels like the future has arrived!"

http://ntenvironmentalwork.net/2014/03/24/national-trust-penrhyn-castle-looking-stunning-this-morning-but-so-is-our-new-nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle/

penrhyn-dafodil.jpg

nissan-leaf.jpg

plas-newydd-pv-install-3-00.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is of great interest to me as I've often pondered how one would make a trip into a national park and back again on a single charge.

This is especially true here in the north west at the moment. If they start plonking these down at popular hiking destinations that would be fantastic!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wrote to NT four weeks ago and suggested that they should be looking at installing chargers at their properties. They said they would look into it. I'm delighted that something is happening. Please keep us informed Kevin.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a current map but here's the first deployments we undertook in January 2013;

national-trust-electric-vehicle-charging-wales.png

NT are keen to roll out charging across the UK but IMO it's unlikely to get funding for several years because it's not a priority. Maybe EV drivers could fundraise so that ZCW can donate more :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
kevin I love what you are doing and I dont want you to take this the wrong way, but I personally would prefer every penny of fund raising to goto people who really need our support, EV charging is nice but I would rather the money went to rehabilitation of injured service men or other worthwhile causes.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It is a worthwhile cause it's saving a plant, when I die it will be nice to know that people like Kevin and company's that have this worlds best interests at hart so my kids will have a nice place to live. Good air will saving peoples lives.

·
Registered
538 Posts
...I would rather the money went to rehabilitation of injured service men or other worthwhile causes.
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Indeed its a worthwhile cause, but not one I currently feel compelled to contribute to. For that I am glad we don't have any kind of "centralised charity pot" that all fund raising goes into with someone else making the decisions about where funds go.

During the course of our lives we will all be effected by different events and we will all have different views about what is worthwhile. Most likely these views will change as our lives unfold.

I'm an NT member, and I'd quite happily add another £5/£10 onto my membership next year or get involved in some fund raising campaign if it was to boost EV Charging installations and raise the profile of the overall bigger picture of climate change and renewables.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
don't get me wrong I am not saying its all or nothing, I fully support everyones choice to support or not support charities in any way they feel appropriate. In my case as an ex serviceman I cannot in good conscience support a charity for EV charging for the use of a few middle class people, even when I am a direct recipient of its great work, when people are suffering for doing a job most of the population would not do.

Like I said personal choice and I fully support it, and your right to disagree with me :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The National Trust is a charity thats committed to a wholesale transition to renewable energy and electric transportation... are you saying they are wrong to invest in all our futures?
not at all its a matter of limited resources and unlimited good causes. See my post above, love what your doing, fully support the idea but feel there are others who need the money more than a few middle class EV drivers.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my case as an ex serviceman I cannot in good conscience support a charity for EV charging for the use of a few middle class people, even when I am a direct recipient of its great work, when people are suffering for doing a job most of the population would not do.
You're mistaken in your belief that EV's are for a "few middle class people" and as I said the National Trust are undertaking a wholesale transition to renewables and EVs which is for the benefit of us all. If you wish to get philosophical then ask yourself whats the point of those service personnel fighting for a world that has no future?

I might also argue that we put people at risk because of our dependance on oil.... maybe if we addressed that issue (like the NT are trying to do) we wouldn't need charities for ex-servicemen.

I would suggest we move this discussion to a more appropriate thread.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I agree I have pulled this off topic, lets not discuss the futility of service personal fighting as most dont get the choice, they do the job that is asked of them.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry, I realise that it is off-topic and I will not engage further in taking it off any further but I really baulked at the phase
for the use of a few middle class people
It is rather short-sighted IMO to use that phrase. I hear that sentiment quite a bit when discussing EVs and I am hugely surprised and disappointed to hear it from someone so supportive of EVs as @jontracey .

It might have been an argument 2 or 3 years ago when they were so expensive and the benefits were little known or discussed by the public. Now it is clear that whilst prices haven't yet reduced to the point where anyone can buy an EV it is almost there (Leaf for £10k is not out of the question). We now more understand be environmental benefits too. EVs are a transition for everyone and yes, the middle-classes (whoever they are!) are at the leading edge right now because they are the ones that can afford it right now, but I see this transition as just as important in the long-term as national security and the respect and responsibility we should have to our service personnel.

IMO they are both important to us as a nation and to us as humans on earth.

So Jon, I don't criticise you for supporting the charities and good causes of your choice. We all have limited funds available for such good causes and we choose to put them where we feel we want to personally make a difference. However, I do think you are mistaken when considering just who the beneficiaries of funding the work of the NT and other such charities involved in transition because it sure isn't just "middle classes"... it is all of us! :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Well next week I shall be visiting a National Trust property which does have a charger. I fully intend to use it. Thank you Kevin & ZCW for supplying these.

I wonder whether you have a list of the NT properties which are installed to date please Kevin? I suppose at some point they should update their website & book in order to track this as a feature,

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well next week I shall be visiting a National Trust property which does have a charger. I fully intend to use it. Thank you Kevin & ZCW for supplying these
No Problem :)

I wonder whether you have a list of the NT properties which are installed to date please Kevin?
I've asked Cara to join us here and update everyone... she manages ZCW day to day .

I suppose at some point they should update their website & book in order to track this as a feature,
Lots of interesting things happening with NT behind the scenes... do feedback to them that you want this on their website and book :D

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Thanks Kevin for that.

We are great likers of National Trust, although we don't use our NT cards nearly enough.

As a family, something which we would really like to see would be places where one would likely spend a good few hours having charging points installed - days out venues really (and I don't mean IKEA). National Trust, LEGOLAND, steam railways, museums, that kind of thing would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts