Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've now donated just over 550 Charging Stations in the UK and here's the latest news;

(1) All of our Gen 1 "commando" charging locations have been offered a 32A Type 2 upgrade. If you have a favourite location you'd like to see upgraded then please contact them and tell them why they need to move quickly on this time limited offer :)

(2) Mainpine are currently upgrading 100 32A Type 2 Charging Stations and once completed these will be donated to ZCW to allow the donation project to continue. If you would like charging installed at a favourite location then please contact them and tell them why they need to become part of the EV revolution.

Full details can be found here http://zerocarbonworld.org/free-charging-stations

(3) Mainpine will donate 32A Three Phase (22kW) Charging Stations to ZCW for use at Tesla SuperCharger locations by EVs that don't support SuperCharging.

(4) Trustees @Alexander Sims @nuWorld Energy and I are meeting with various organisations to promote the concept of simple and reliable charging. We hope to announce some exciting collaborations in the near future including potential expansion into Europe :)

(5) with @Cara Naden's new car we will have five EVs in daily use running on renewable energy :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ah, ok - shame but amazing in itself that EV charging got installed 5 years ago!

Still just about usable @16A with the DIY EVSE and a 16A/32A adapter or 13A at the plug socket but a pain for non-locals, unless the poor souls really want to spend all day at the shops :eek:

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, ok - shame but amazing in itself that EV charging got installed 5 years ago!
Yeh it was an amazing achievement and I've never had a problem charging at all the 'dumb' locations across the city. Unfortunately, Bristol has been seduced by the RFID crowd and once fees kick in I suspect public charging usage will drop like everywhere else :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Define Bristol; I'm guessing there's a difference between council provided charging which is currently free vs commercial.
I'm not sure I follow. I can't tell the difference between council provided, source west provided, and commercial. :oops:

AFAIK, yet to be announced, these look like Source west Rapid CHAdeMO/CCS/AC chargers which CYC have a £4.50/hour charge listed against on their map.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What would be REALLY good is for some dedicated charging points at Aztec West; thousands of cars commute here every day. Unfortunately each company has dedicated parking rather than shared, so I can't see it ever happening.
We can always lobby Starbucks ([email protected]), or Aztec Hotel to drop in some ZCW - hint hint @Kevin Sharpe ;)

I'm working on my Aztec West based company to put something on the public side of our barriers, or allow the public through the barriers (24x7 access) like Nissan HQ do apparently. Not hopeful of success, but it would be useful and beneficial to our public brand, and within spitting distance of the M4/M5 interchange (though very little to do for passers by....).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you ZCW, just received this email from The Mall at Cribbs Causway:-

Dear Mike

Thank you for your email.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our charging points to the latest European standards. We hope that you find an improvement to them on your next visit.

Kind regards

Sara

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are currently in the process of upgrading our charging points to the latest European standards. We hope that you find an improvement to them on your next visit.
Yeh, it's all going RFID and fee based... missed opportunity for Bristol to do something different :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thank you ZCW, just received this email from The Mall at Cribbs Causway:-

Dear Mike

Thank you for your email.

Kind regards

Sara
I was in Cribbs earlier today for an hour or so over lunch. Plugged in for a quick top-up. Lady from the downstairs office came out to see us on returning to the car. Interesting chat.

They'd like users of these points to sign in with them in the nearby office downstairs - they've noticed usage has picked up quite a bit "since the one lady that had them put in and used to come here and plug in" (no prizes for guessing who - well done @aminorjourney ). They are aware that these points are now quite outdated and new EV drivers don't always have the right cables to connect. As a result they're looking at expanding/changing if the demand is there.

Nice little chat, they weren't aware of the ZCW initative but were very interested so I left the website address with them. Over to @Kevin Sharpe @Cara Naden and the team :)

So bottom line, if you use these - please sign in with the office nearby and do your best EVangelical 5-minute pitch for ubiquitous RFID free Type2 32A.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Where's the office at Cribbs ? I might pop in and ask them about EV charging, the more the merrier.

By the way @Paul Morris I don't suppose it was you I saw at Aztec at lunchtime, chatting to someone about superchargers as I wandered past ?
Don't think so. Lunchtime at Cribbs then dropped into a technology demo truck at one of our buildings then bumped into an Outlander PHEV in the car park that Arval had brought along as an unscheduled extra for a company test drive event. Seemed to be attracting quite a bit of interest. And quite irksome looks from Volvo & Lexus sales guys trying to peddle their hybrids.

Office at Cribbs I'm talking about is near the charge points. Car park K, underground far end near lift. I think it's the mobility scooter place.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kevin can I ask a question about these charging stations. I see they have been donated and the client just pays for the install. Is that based around some government grant scheme? I think it's great but I was wondering how the whole process could be financed as we all know charging stations are not cheap.
Please ignore if this is rude question.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
see they have been donated and the client just pays for the install. Is that based around some government grant scheme?
No it's not a government scheme. I personally funded the original purchase of the first 500+ Charging Stations and the ZCW staff required to administer the scheme.

Today, my US company Mainpine, Inc. and my UK company Mainpine Ltd donate the charging stations and one member of staff (@Cara Naden ) to continue the projects.

ZCW has also received a number of small donations from individuals for which we are very grateful.

I believe the best way to achieve transition is to roll up my sleeves and get on with the work rather than wait for government or anyone else to do this for me :)

Please ignore if this is rude question.
its not a rude question at all... We're very transparent about this and chose the charity model to provide a legal framework for our work.

Personally, I wish more people would ask these questions of the companies they purchase goods and services from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts