Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the end of the week I'll be embarking on another ~1500 mile trip in the Tesla Roadster from Bath to Nairn in the Scottish Highlands. As usual I'll be avoiding all the government funded and unreliable charging locations, and use ZeroNet exclusively.

While it would be very easy to drive the ~550 mile trip north with just three charging stops, I'm going to make the most of my vacation and visit a number of ZeroNet locations en route, including a significant diversion into The Lake District :)

Edit: just realised that when I leave on Thursday it will be three year to the day that @dpeilow and I drove End to End in the Tesla Roadster (22nd May 2011) :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land's_End_to_John_o'Groats#Motoring

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
Kevin

Is it possible to have a sticky at the top of this forum to show where to access the locations?, Website, Android, iphone app etc? What is your preferred method of locating a charger for your trip and of detecting its current status?

That would be helpful I think.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trip north is now ~630 miles and includes a couple of meetings and a ZeroNet photo-shoot :)

The exact timings and overnight stop will be decided by circumstances on the day. The maps represent the three main legs of the trip at 304 miles, 175 miles, and 142 miles.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 19.18.58.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 19.19.10.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 19.19.24.png

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In total we drove 1509 miles using ZeroNet charging locations only. We consumed 395kWh and the total cost we paid for electricity was £0 (would have cost host locations £59 at 15p per unit).

I have no doubt that cars like the Model S, with longer range and 22kW three phase charging, will make these trips possible for everyone without any dependence on rapid charging :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So long as we all have 70000+ pounds to spare ;)
yawn... such a boring and predictable argument... FYI the Tesla 60 kWh Model S can do the same trip for £50,280 OTR today... in a year you'll start seeing 2nd user cars for ~£40K which will increase the number of people making EV road trips :D

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not sure if I agree. If you've got no home charging, and can't sit around in a car park for ages waiting for a big refill, surely rapid charging is the only choice your have?
My comments relate to the trip which I've just undertaken where no rapid charging was used... "I have no doubt that cars like the Model S, with longer range and 22kW three phase charging, will make these trips possible for everyone without any dependence on rapid charging"... obviously, if you have a Model S with rapid charging and access to a suitable rapid charger then that would increase the number of options for the driver on a long distance trip in Europe.

For me personally, a little more range and 22kW charging would transform my Roadster ownership experience and make any trip in Europe possible.... once out of warranty those are the two mods I will pursue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts