Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a typical day of EV motorway driving and meetings combining Tesla range with ZeroNet charging (260 miles ~5 hours);

Bradford on Avon to The Moat House (Stafford) - 125 miles

Lunch meeting at The Moat House - Tesla on charge at 3kW, 7kW, or 16kW

The Moat House to East Restaurant (Leeds) - 107 miles

Dinner meeting at East Restaurant - Tesla on charge at 7kW

The East Restaurant to Best Western Rogerthorpe Manor (Pontefract) - 30 miles

Sleep - Tesla on charge at 7kW and full (200+ miles) in the early hours ready for the next day.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 18.31.48.png

What I love about this is driving at motorway speeds and charging while I'm meeting and eating :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the return trip the next day (350 miles ~6 hours) :)

Best Western Rogerthorpe Manor (Pontefract) to St Asaph - 124 miles

Meeting in St Asaph - Tesla on charge at 7kW

St Asaph to The Moat House (Stafford) - 98 miles

Dinner at The Moat House - Tesla on charge at 16kW

The Moat House to Bradford on Avon - 125 miles

Sleep!

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 15.48.19.png

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range may be getting cheaper
It really is... in 2010 245 miles (NEDC) cost just over £90K OTR and today thats £50K OTR :)

I dont see any of the car manufacturers taking it up, where are the 200 miles cars, there is a huge gap between tesla and everyone else
I think we are in a period of market disruption which will have a profound impact on the traditional ICE car makers and I don't expect many of them to survive :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Great stuff Kevin, it sounds charming and for someone who has technically retired you go to a lot of meetings! ;) its great to see it, I would love a Roadster although all those lovely places you stop to eat all the time might make it tricky for me to get behind the wheel! :p

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
This is great Kevin. It is indeed very possible to live a proper business life with an EV. Not as exciting as yours but my week so far:

Monday: Cheltenham to Reading office. Car complained of VLBC as I arrived. Charged it 7kw. Done by lunch. After work drove to Clacket Lane for QC. Didn't need the juice but SerpEnt has a hole in it around Dartford and no overnight charging. Went to Asda Greenhithe to pick up a couple of beers and charged 18 mins.

Tuesday: Pre customer coffee meeting with colleague at Asda. Car now full. Meeting. Drove back to office for quick catch up with colleague. Actually real reason was to check out the Model S that was in the office :). Did my expenses over coffee at Chievely while charged. Return to Cheltenham.

Weds. Lovely trip up to Shrewsbury. Drop car to @Greenhous to charge. Customer meeting. Lovely trip home to Cheltenham.

Popped over 6500 miles

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever tried video conferencing instead Kevin ?:)
For the last 20 years or so I've run my business virtually with the majority of employees working from home. It's good for the planet and the bottom line ;)

However, sometimes you just have to meet people and when that's required I combine several meetings to make the most of the trip.

Personally, I think most people should be working from home or local business hubs for some time each week.... seems the only logical and sustainable way forward :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Personally, I think most people should be working from home or local business hubs for some time each week.... seems the only logical and sustainable way forward :)

Living in Gloucestershire I am beginning to think that this is precisely what the guys fixing potholes are doing

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Happy to report 618 easy miles charging while I ate, met, and slept :)

Only ZeroNet locations were used costing me £0 to charge and the tax payer £0 to install ;)

Lots motorway driving and I averaged 51mph (251Wh/mi) over the trip which is amazing given the peak time traffic and extensive roadworks.

IMG_3784_Low_Res.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts