Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m thinking of upgrading from my C Zero to Zoe 41kwh (2017ish) or Leaf 2. How does Zoe2 compare for reliability battery pack drive train etc should be well sorted by now? Heat pumps electrics charging etc not sure ? Budget is very limited so Leaf2 a bit out of range but I can prob stretch to 2017 Zoe 41kwh. I can do most diy brakes suspension etc but want to run a car for many years trouble free …. Like C zero. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
951 Posts
No DC fast charging on the ZE40 kind of makes it difficult now that Gridserve have downgraded the available AC Type 2 charging. Unless your needs are different I would look at a classic Ioniq 28kw with CCS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No DC fast charging on the ZE40 kind of makes it difficult now that Gridserve have downgraded the available AC Type 2 charging. Unless your needs are different I would look at a classic Ioniq 28kw with CCS.
Thanks for pointing this out re Gridserve, it is a factor but for me probably less than 10% of trips, i need to think about it, so thanks. Ioniq yes but probably out my budget at the moment , still working on it though .

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
951 Posts
Well if you’re happy to AC charge then the actual car is ok. The R110 seems to have had the least amount of problems to my knowledge only thing gone wrong with ours is dirty charge port and anti-roll bar bushes so nothing major. At 3.5 years old and 48k miles battery SoH is 90% and I get a solid 160 miles at 60mph down the motorway. Occasional warm days like yesterday 180 miles. Depths of winter 130 - 140 miles.
The R110 has PTC heater to boost the heat pump and can even preheat the battery using the comfort timer when it is plugged in.

Best way to charge on a motorway run is to get it below 50% and charge back up to 80% to get a constant 22 Kw warm battery helps. And stay away from Gridserve AC posts, they suck only use the dedicated chargers with the additional AC socket. Osprey chargers only do 15 KW when not shared, 11KW shared and BP pulse are ok if the dam charger still works 😅

·
Registered
178 Posts
Our 2017 is now on 56k miles, battery reports at 92% SOH which seems pretty good.

Heating is crap in my view, but it just about does the job. AC is adequate. Headlights were bilge but a decent LED set fixed that (and passes MOT so no drama).

No unreliability issues. Suspension components appear to be made of cheese - just had to replace various different bits which were clunking and thumping and it feels like a new car now.

Once in a blue moon is the lack of DC charging an issue to us, and (at the moment at least) it's still reasonably straightforward to find units with "upto" 43kWh AC of which the Zoe can accept 22kWh, and while it's not ideal it's been workable. I treat it as a "local/regional" running around car and leave longer trips to the eNiro.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
951 Posts
Yeah forgot about the lights, I had to replace the stock bulbs with brighter Philips halogens, but LED upgrade would probably be better. Can also add Shell Recharge as being decent solid 22kw charging after a run down to Stafford and back today. Have done 700 miles of driving in last three days so if you love the challenge of AC public charging then you won’t go wrong with a Zoe. Upgrade the windscreen wipers to Bosch as well the Renault ones are rubbish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @Rooster-x and @NGee good to hear your real life experiences of range and charging, really useful. Would probably work well for me, range is better than I thought , better than Leaf2 , and certainly a step up from C Zeros 60 around town, SOH very reassuring also , thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts