Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... well that's a bit exaggerated - its OK .. pretty good actually if I have eco button off and dont turn the blower up too high - its just the footwell heater setting that seems to be a bit rubbish in my car.

let me explain. If I put the climate control on 'auto' and set the dial to 21 the cabin heats up pretty good ... but the upper part of the interior , so me head and my top part of body is warm but me bleeding legs are freezing .

So as a test I then press the down arrow on the climate control to direct it down to my feet - I can hear the flaps changing / moving .. so I think they are OK . - But if I feel down below (in the footwell area that is lol :D ) I can feel the tube there but there does not seem to be that much hot air that comes out to be honest .

So, any ideas or is it just the footwell area just dont get that hot when the heater is on in these Zoe's ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had this in my Dacia Sandero, didn't have long trips yet with the Zoe in cold weather but wouldn't be surprised it's just the way it is designed.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,155 Posts
The eco thing is well known. Don't bother with eco mode especially in the winter as it cripples the heating system to the point where it basically stops working.

As for the fan power, this is the case in most Zoes, until you get VERY cold weather (4°C and below, from memory) and the heating element starts to work too, alongside the heat pump. This will use more power, but it kicks out more heat to the point where it can keep up with full fan power. It's the one time where I would consider Zoe to get hot rather than warm.

If you set the heating to blow exclusively into the footwell, maximum temperature you will get some heat but not a great deal down there. I think that's just how Renault cars and vans are unfortunately.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, i suppose a lot of people want the most efficient to head towards the screen area in the winter time to defrost it so they most probably didnt put in the extra design time for the footwell.
I did notice that when I press the down arrow the levers/directors move in the heater and the air stops blowing out of the face vents ... but I feel , not totally, theres still a bit of air comes out of them

. So maybe thats it. Maybe the key is to close all them face vents (the 2 in the middle of the centre console and the 2 outer ones on either side of the dash) maybe shutting them might direct more heat to the feet area . - or I might do a search on the internet and see if I can Calibrate somehow the heater flap mechanism.
I have DDT4ALL and used it numerous times and there is a HVAC area so maybe there is a setting to test/calibrate in that. I shall have to have a look.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
22oC is the sweet spot seating for Zoe heating system. As you’ve discovered, slowing down fan speed can improve heat a bit, but 22oC doesn’t really mean cabin temp of 22 as far as I could tell, just comfortable. Eco mode emasculates the heat pump, only use it when you really need to.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
Firstly never believe your cleverer than the Zoe heat pump, if you do you'll never get good heat.

1. set it to desired temp, as above 22 seems to work best, although its definitely not 22 degrees in your car, its more aspirational than that lol.
2. Press the Auto button on the temp dial and let the car do its thing. It should cycle from feet/centre/vents all by itself if you let it. Or windscreen only if your misting up. You can pick all three feet/face/dask vents at the same time, but the car can't do it so it do this weird thing where it seems to make a lot of noise but a much reduced volume of air out of all vents (almost like its closed all flaps to damn you).
3. Don't turn AC off or it'll turn auto off (unless you go hunting and find my Auto with AC off guide on here, Its been 8 months since I last drove a Zoe so my muscle memory for the button presses has lapsed lol).
4. Never use ECO mode. Although if you crank temp up to max and Auto it will be warm ish... say 16ish degrees in reality. You won't freeze but you also won't be going anywhere without a coat on.\
5. You'll have to accept that the Zoe will flip flop from heating to AC and back again. Its a single heat pump it can't run both directions at the same time. Yes you can use my guide to turn off the AC aspect but if its wet outside or you've got wet shoes the car will steam up (so pointless on those days).
6. Don't touch the fan speed dial, it will turn off auto, its just a knob there to taunt you.

Reactions: Andy-Zoé-User

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firstly never believe your cleverer than the Zoe heat pump, if you do you'll never get good heat.

1. set it to desired temp, as above 22 seems to work best, although its definitely not 22 degrees in your car, its more aspirational than that lol.
2. Press the Auto button on the temp dial and let the car do its thing. It should cycle from feet/centre/vents all by itself if you let it. Or windscreen only if your misting up. You can pick all three feet/face/dask vents at the same time, but the car can't do it so it do this weird thing where it seems to make a lot of noise but a much reduced volume of air out of all vents (almost like its closed all flaps to damn you).
3. Don't turn AC off or it'll turn auto off (unless you go hunting and find my Auto with AC off guide on here, Its been 8 months since I last drove a Zoe so my muscle memory for the button presses has lapsed lol).
4. Never use ECO mode. Although if you crank temp up to max and Auto it will be warm ish... say 16ish degrees in reality. You won't freeze but you also won't be going anywhere without a coat on.\
5. You'll have to accept that the Zoe will flip flop from heating to AC and back again. Its a single heat pump it can't run both directions at the same time. Yes you can use my guide to turn off the AC aspect but if its wet outside or you've got wet shoes the car will steam up (so pointless on those days).
6. Don't touch the fan speed dial, it will turn off auto, its just a knob there to taunt you.
(y)
oh good thanks for all that info - i will have to do a search now for your 'AC off whilst auto on' trick - cause that has me scratching my head not knowing if the AC is on in 'auto' mode.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to try and find the PTC setting in DDT4all (I know PTC apparently eats into the range more than heat pump) but I want to see , say if the PTC kicks in at 3'c or something - try changing that to something like around 10'c to try and get the PTC to work to supplement the HP heating.

I dont know if I have discovered it and here it is, or if its somewhere else .

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,188 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
I've spent about a year now trying to get to the bottom of this, a few times I've managed to get auto heating mode with AC switched off.

Here is the way to set it up (Kudos to all the members on RZOC who tested my various iterations of this while I was trying to work out the hack).

1. Start car.
2. Dial desired temp and press auto
3. Press AC off and wait a minute.
4. Switch car off, lock up and go away for a while.
5. Go back to car, unlock, start car.
6. Press windscreen max and then press it again.

Once in place this hack will remain persistent on restarts, you can change temp but if you press any other heating buttons it will go back to normal and you'll need to follow above process again if you want auto with AC off.

It's the delay and locking the car that makes it work. View attachment 15426

Reason to use this hack?

Well I think it perhaps heats up a little quicker and it uses a smidge less power over a trip. but that's just my gut feeling. why not try it yourself and report back.

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Start car.
2. Dial desired temp and press auto
3. Press AC off and wait a minute.
4. Switch car off, lock up and go away for a while.
5. Go back to car, unlock, start car.
6. Press windscreen max and then press it again.
ah right thank you - pretty 'faffy' - I might just leave it with AC on :D - good though you found a workaround

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
ah right thank you - pretty 'faffy' - I might just leave it with AC on :D - good though you found a workaround
Once you've activated my hack it remains in place until you press a button, adjusting temp doesn't turn it off. But its only really worth using if its cold and dry, cold and wet and your driving in a sauna.

Reactions: Andy-Zoé-User

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once you've activated my hack it remains in place until you press a button, adjusting temp doesn't turn it off. But its only really worth using if its cold and dry, cold and wet and your driving in a sauna.
you can bet that I (or someone else) will press that 'other button' and it will have to be done all over again! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 65 plate is back at the dealer for the second time in six months to fix an air con system leak under extended warranty.

Totally mental how easily the Zoe system leaks out. My car only has 14k miles on it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 65 plate is back at the dealer for the second time in six months to fix an air con system leak under extended warranty.

Totally mental how easily the Zoe system leaks out. My car only has 14k miles on it.
thats disappointing isnt it - a little suggesting to them 'if they can use dye to see where its leaking from' is good . apparently the special dye shows up the smallest amounts of leaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah they're apparently having to drop the battery out and really hunt for this one, they did put the dye in but it's leaked in a new place now, hidden somewhere. It's been in the garage for three days now.

This would have been two £600 repairs back to back without the extended warranty so I recommend nobody ever buys a Zoe out of warranty, very bad idea.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep I had my used one done under warranty. so, so glad. The poor (non renault) dealers must have shelled out a bomb to renault to get it fixed ... most probably never made any profit on selling the car to me .. in fact wouldnt be surprised if they made a loss selling it to me ... and it was their first ever used EV they had ever sold!

If its to be believed in emails back and forth to me it had to have all 4 seals replaced , a new aircon compressor unit and a special fuse! (??)

At least when I got it back it was blowing out cold and hot air ... before I left it in all it was blowing out was ambient air .. whatever the temperature that it was outside!

Now its winter thank God I got it repaired otherwise no heat at all and its 2'c out there tonight! - I would be freezing me nuts off driving it!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah they're apparently having to drop the battery out and really hunt for this one, they did put the dye in but it's leaked in a new place now, hidden somewhere. It's been in the garage for three days now.

This would have been two £600 repairs back to back without the extended warranty so I recommend nobody ever buys a Zoe out of warranty, very bad idea.
at 289 a year and being able to extend up to 10 years/100k miles is a NO BRAINER. you basically get everything under warranty , all eletrics, heaters, etc warranted

·
Registered
949 Posts
Every couple of years they adjust the extended warranty price upwards so renewing it when the car was 5 years old cost me £339 per year. At that price I still thought it was worth it though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts