Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
3,684 Posts
This might be a Mode 1 cable and have no PWM circuitry. I'd heard rumours that the ZOE supports Mode 1 but don't know about the Model S (afaik Leaf does not).

Suggest you get it confirmed before you spend your money :)

· Banned
3,684 Posts
Looks like it's just just an RCD on a cable
yeh, it does :(

@Eunicholas did this actually charge your ZOE or did you just plug it in to see if it fits? I'm really interested because the ZOE is rumoured to support Mode 1 charging but I've never seen that confirmed and would love to know for sure (and what charge rate it reports when using this cable).

· Banned
3,684 Posts
Ideal starter kit for a DIY EVSE box though.
Not sure where you'd fit the comms and contactors :rolleyes:

Are mode 1 cables legal in the uk? live pins in the mennekes?
Mode 1 charging up to 16A is fully supported by the IEC standards, IET, BEAMA, etc. It's wonderful because you don't need a 'brick' EVSE in the cable :D

However, most EV's simply don't work with Mode 1 which is why I'm keen to understand what's going on with the ZOE.

· Banned
3,684 Posts
I have no doubt this is a Mode 1 cable with inline RCD. Please ensure it is compatible with your EV before you part with any money.... most cars do NOT support Mode 1 charging which is why you have 'bricks' in your EVSE cables today.

Here for information are two Mode 2 cables manufactured by Mennekes;

Technology Electronic device Electronics

Electronic device Technology Wire Electronic component Cable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.