Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to dip my toe into the world of electric motoring. I have spotted a very nice R90 for a good price.(2017 19000 miles &96% SOH) I have a few questions if anyone can help? Performance I'm not concerned about, 0-60times don't interest me in the slightest. As long as it can do 70mph on a motorway I'll be happy.

My question- I have an 80mile round trip to work. It is 99% on the motorway. I would like to do 70mph like I do in my ice car now. Will it make this journey on even the worst days?

I.E it's 4am. It's -5c outside and there is a few flakes of snow in the air. It's windy like a bitch too. I want to be heated and comfortable on my commute. Would the car make this without me getting panicky. I appreciate the scenario I just described is rare...but still.

I can charge at home, but not at work. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My summer average range with the ZE40 is 160-170 miles with a largely 70mph, 50 mile round trip and I'm fairly heavy footed off the roundabouts and junctions etc. In winter I would be very surprised to see that go below 120.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Realistically your looking at 3.6mpkwh at 70mph sustained. Which would be about 140mile terminal, you'll be stopping after 120miles to top up.

Your winter scenario, you will be seeing 3.0-3.1mpkw max on normal roads. Motorway more like 2.9mpkwh. You won't be using eco mode because you won't be warm enough, unless the car your looking at is a heated seat model.

The Zoe uses a heat pump, which is efficient in that it doesn't use much power to generate heat, but its not as effective as you might think. Turn on eco mode and its barely acceptable, you won't be toasty, but you'll generally still feel your fingers and toes. Normal mode can be pretty warm, but you'll never be roasting and thinking "oh I better turn this heat down".

·
Registered
590 Posts
70mph is the worst speed for efficiency, drop it to 65mph and you will see much better miles per kWh. At 70mph you could be cutting it fine if the car has sat in negative temps overnight and you are using the heater

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I was commuting 80miles pre-lockdown in my R90. In March it was using around 60% of the battery. I can't imagine you're going to have much trouble at all.

Is this the battery owned one that came up recently?

I have a sneaky suspicion you could have got it for an even better price had you been a bit quicker....

·
Registered
203 Posts
80 mile round trip should be no problem at all in a ZE40 at motorway speeds. Even better if you pre-heat (using app or button on key fob ) before you go, so your car will be defrosted / warm when you get into it!
My commute is much shorter, but my in-laws are an 80 mile round trip away (so 40 miles each way). In winter I can get to them twice (so there, back and there again).
In summer, when driving fairly efficiently, I could just about do two full round trips (total 160 miles) although I haven't tried that (the range indicator says I can). The trip is 35 out of 40 miles motorway & dual carriageway..

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,087 Posts
As long as you don't push the heating too hard to the point that it relies more on the resistive heater rather than the heat pump system, you'll have no problem with this even if its a few degrees below zero and theres snow and wind, even if you're not driving in the most economical manner.

Pre-heat before leaving home, make the car comfortable and warm rather than hot, and you'll still probably be looking at 100+ miles range even in the middle of winter.

Blast the heating out at max in the middle of winter and take it on the motorway and you may be pushing it right to the limit of the battery pack. At that point you'll he deciding between sacrificing heat, sacrificing speed, or pulling off into the services for a 5-10 minutes top up charge on the worst days of the year though.

Once you get used to the car you'll quickly learn to just adapt your driving style a bit, and find out what works best for your regular commute. I really don't imagine you'll ever really struggle for that journey with this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts