Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at lease prices on leasing.com (which seem by far the cheapest model of 'ownership' over 2 years). R135 GT Line without CCS = £5728 or £238 per month total. With CCS = £7211 or £300 per month.

I guess that there's minimal demand for a 50kWh car without rapid charging. Seems odd though that they can't just add the CCS charger to more cars. In any case, I won't be paying that much extra, and I can't face living without CCS. I'll just have to wait for better deals later in the year.

·
Registered
454 Posts
RCI’s lease costs are odd. Not even the main dealer we’ve leased the wife’s GT Line through can explain it. Ordinarily a lease customer will end up paying a maximum of 100% of the value of an option where the funder doesn’t believe it adds anything to the resale value of the car.

This was certainly the case with BMW funded i3 leases. LED headlights and professional navigation were a small increase, equivalent to only a proportion of their list price. Whereas I had to pay the full cost of the Harman Kardon hifi upgrade over the 2 years.
They wouldn’t lease them without metallic paint and not having CCS spat back a quote that was more expensive than having it.

When we messed about with the spec on the Zoe, the wheel upgrade added nearly a grand And similarly Bose was more than its list price.

The wheels specced with the Winter pack made the Winter pack more expensive than it was on its own.

In the end we observed our usual rules of leasing and stripped the quote back to solid white and Winter pack. The car will be brown outside from end of day one anyway.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
509 Posts
I am pretty sure that more non CCS were coming to the UK than CCS in the first instance, hence it may just be that they are pricing to make sure the non CCS get sold.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
This will bite RCI on the ass when they are coming back off lease and the non CCS ones take much longer to sell and for much less.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Plenty of takers for a true 200+ mile range EV and no CCS. Hits the sweet spot for most with a 7kW wall charger at home and cheap rate electricity. Or those with a destination charger at work.

Renault have been in the EV market longer than most. Pretty sure they know what they’re doing.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Time will tell but I can't see it being a winner when it comes to resale price as you hard limit the cars range.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Me neither

Its bonkers to offer a car with range outside the city driving constraints and not have the ability to rapid charge!!

unless we are saying 200+ miles range was only needed because people couldn’t be arsed to plug in at home more than a few times a week :)

JJ

·
Registered
454 Posts
Me neither

Its bonkers to offer a car with range outside the city driving constraints and not have the ability to rapid charge!!

unless we are saying 200+ miles range was only needed because people couldn’t be arsed to plug in at home more than a few times a week :)

JJ
Fits perfectly into my wife’s lifestyle. Commutes 40 miles a day, so not the shortest or indeed longest average commute. Regularly does a 150 mile round trip.
Occasionally does a 300 mile round trip over a weekend. Can charge on the granny at destination or a splash and dash 22kW top up and coffee break to get the range she needs just to get her home to the wall charger.

It’s great to have the choice. Those who need CCS can choose to have it. Those who don’t get the car for less.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think people over estimate how many people need rapid charging.

If you own any sort of car now at all, tell me how many miles/journeys that are completed from the yearly total that are more than just commuting average daily use? If you buy a car due to doing a lot of miles then the £1,500 option might be a no brainer decision, but for others not so much.

As my mother would say, just-in-case is not a reason, rather an excuse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Agreed. Our R240 does over 12,000 miles a year, but it's never been charged anywhere other than at home.

If we had a longer range, SWMBO could use it to visit her mum. But she currently uses the worthless old diesel Yaris that the DDs use when they get home, which needs a good run every now and again rather than sitting idle for weeks on end.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Fits perfectly into my wife’s lifestyle. Commutes 40 miles a day, so not the shortest or indeed longest average commute. Regularly does a 150 mile round trip.
Occasionally does a 300 mile round trip over a weekend. Can charge on the granny at destination or a splash and dash 22kW top up and coffee break to get the range she needs just to get her home to the wall charger.

It’s great to have the choice. Those who need CCS can choose to have it. Those who don’t get the car for less.
sounds like your requirements can be met by a ZE40 at 50% the price - so why the ZE50?

JJ

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Plenty of takers for a true 200+ mile range EV and no CCS. Hits the sweet spot for most with a 7kW wall charger at home and cheap rate electricity. Or those with a destination charger at work.

Renault have been in the EV market longer than most. Pretty sure they know what they’re doing.
I expect Ranault's home macket has many more 22kw "charger" then we do. (They also have a great intercity train service that is as cheap as driving.)

·
Vendor
1,650 Posts
Looking at lease prices on leasing.com (which seem by far the cheapest model of 'ownership' over 2 years). R135 GT Line without CCS = £5728 or £238 per month total. With CCS = £7211 or £300 per month.
What profile and mileage?

·
Vendor
1,650 Posts
ts bonkers to offer a car with range outside the city driving constraints and not have the ability to rapid charge!!

unless we are saying 200+ miles range was only needed because people couldn’t be arsed to plug in at home more than a few times a week
The main thing is everyones needs are different, there a lot of people that need CCS and also a lot of people that will never use. The numbers are happily large enough to not massively effect future resale. The same people who don't need CCS now will be the same kind of people who wont need it in 2 years time.

sounds like your requirements can be met by a ZE40 at 50% the price - so why the ZE50?
If everyone bought what they needed and not what they wanted I would have a much smaller choice of cars in my showroom!

·
Registered
454 Posts

JJ

JJ
The interior.
Tech
Kit
Power
Handling and road holding
Quality of finish

If I’d taken the Mrs to see an “old” Zoe she wouldn’t have wanted it.
The new one is a vast improvement.

Also I’m really not interested in buying EVs at the mo. Too risky with so many new models, ever changing tech and improved range and efficiency.

Plus the improvement in range over the 40 does deliver a tangible improvement in flexibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is quite feasible if one takes in the interest etc over the 4 years.
If you buy the ZE50 with the CCS option outright, it is £750.
That is the list price for CCS on the official Renault price list

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is quite feasible if one takes in the interest etc over the 4 years.
If you buy the ZE50 with the CCS option outright, it is £750.
That is the list price for CCS on the official Renault price list
The Lease I'm looking at are 24 months. Presumably that £750 option would add at least something to the residual value, so I would have thought that it would maybe only add £500 to the price. I'm surprised that there aren't more competitive prices available with CCS.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,860 Posts
I am looking but can't see that. Oh, right, 5k mileage. Says £5879 total at the moment.

The question, though, is not whether the car is useless without 43kW rapid charging, but whether 22kW charging is insufficient for those rare occasions? The charging profile also drops way off over 50% o CCS, in fact more like 22kW, from reports to date. If saving 20 mins for those two rare charges-far-away-from-base a year is really important, I guess I understand. I'd take a £1500 bung and hang around for a few more minutes once or twice a year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts