Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your German’s not great you can use YouTube’s iffy subtitling.

Either way Jens’s tests at motorway speeds are brilliant with a straight comparison between the two cars.

Verdict? Range is almost identical on both trips in both cars. He likes the larger cabin space and leaps in quality of the Zoe, but prefers the smaller 208.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
I guess the Zoe being taller evens things out at high speed.

130 km/h is 80 mph, so a bit of an extreme test. It’s unlikely you could do this on UK roads.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the Zoe being taller evens things out at high speed.

130 km/h is 80 mph, so a bit of an extreme test. It’s unlikely you could do this on UK roads.
79mph is where my cruise is usually set on motorways and 70mph open non congested dual carriageways.
That’s around 77 in reality which is within legal tolerances in the UK and only just keeps up with the rest of the traffic whilst not being aggressive towards those who want to drive slower.

Notably a lot of traffic still constantly sails past me but I usually catch up with it. Presumably because they’re not using cruise at 85/90 and get caught up behind slower moving traffic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My overriding impression of the e208 I tested was that economy at 70mph+ was pretty good but it was surprisingly poor at lower speeds. I suspected that it was using extra energy to heat the battery at the start of each journey but there may be other reasons why. I'd like to see a similar comparison at 65mph. I suspect the Zoe will fair slightly better.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,945 Posts
79mph is where my cruise is usually set on motorways and 70mph open non congested dual carriageways.
That’s around 77 in reality which is within legal tolerances in the UK and only just keeps up with the rest of the traffic whilst not being aggressive towards those who want to drive slower.

Notably a lot of traffic still constantly sails past me but I usually catch up with it. Presumably because they’re not using cruise at 85/90 and get caught up behind slower moving traffic.
Be careful if you ever get a Tesla. The speedo in Model 3 is much more accurate, so set it to 77 not 79!

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
197 Posts
That’s around 77 in reality which is within legal tolerances in the UK
The often quoted 10% +2 is the tolerance in how low your actual speed might be when your speedometer reads 70 mph. Police or speed camera people can come after you at 71mph (actual) if they so desired (and were using an accurate speed measuring device), even if the guidelines suggest they won't send you on a speed awareness course till you are going at 79. Zoe speedo for me under reads by up to 2 mph at 70.

One day you may well be caught out if you always go at 77. I know people with penalty points for only a few mph over (there were other factors in play also).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The often quoted 10% +2 is the tolerance in how low your actual speed might be when your speedometer reads 70 mph. Police or speed camera people can come after you at 71mph (actual) if they so desired (and were using an accurate speed measuring device), even if the guidelines suggest they won't send you on a speed awareness course till you are going at 79. Zoe speedo for me under reads by up to 2 mph at 70.

One day you may well be caught out if you always go at 77. I know people with penalty points for only a few mph over (there were other factors in play also).
Jeez...? Yeh, thanks “Dad”! ?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,509 Posts
I was in a hurry the other day and 'exceeded the speed limit' momentarily by a couple of 'mph'. :oops: :oops: o_O:cautious::censored:

TBH I was shocked that in that strange new world of driving faster than the law permits, I was merely, and only, keeping up with the traffic ahead. Seems to be routine and completely normalised to speed.

That being said, it was sunny and dry. I have noticed when it is wet and dark people ahead then seem to struggle to keep their speed up and I am having to slow down for traffic ahead.

Sigh. These soft chubby hominids are cute when they attempt to think logically on their own, only to fail in a hilarious pile of self-contradictions.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
That’s around 77 in reality which is within legal tolerances in the UK
what’s a legal tolerance?

the law is 70mph

what level the local authorities decide to take action at is down to them. This 10% thing is made up!

the only “tolerance” is around being suitable for a speed awareness course and that’s 10% + 7mph

JJ

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The tolerance thing is to do with trust,
You're expected to trust your speedo not to Drift by more that 5% between mots.
And the police are expect to not be able to trust thier equipment to be under 5%
If you get in court and your speedo is 5% out and your you can argue thier gun was 5% out you will get off.

The police don't like losing cases.

Thus they avoid such cases, however average speed check are a lot more accurate.

Reactions: Jelleebeen

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're expected to trust your speedo not to Drift by more that 5% between mots.
Speedos are set that any drift will still keep them over-reading, so if they read "70" you will not be going more than 70. The specs say the adjustment can't be more than 10% + 2 below the actual speed. So you could be going 61.9mph, with it reading 70, and everything would be within tolerance. If you were doing 71 and it read 70, your car is legally not road worthy. MOT is only a test at a particular point in time and doesn't guarantee your car is road worthy afterwards. I don't know if it checks speedo anyway!

·
Registered
197 Posts
the only “tolerance” is around being suitable for a speed awareness course and that’s 10% + 7mph
I understand that is authority / police force determined. There are recommendations, but its up to individual forces what they do, and an individual constable can ignore them and refer you for prosecution / points anyway if they so choose.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,158 Posts
New rules provisionally agreed by the EU mean that speed limiters will become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022.
In a move which campaigners hope will revolutionise road safety, all vehicles in the EU would be fitted with a system that restricts them from breaking the speed limit.
The Department for Transport say that the UK will follow suit even after its withdrawal.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,921 Posts
Still propagating the one third lie I see. Accident rates for exceeding the prevailing limit is about 3% it's not going to do anything like the predicted results. Fatalities caused by exceeding a speed limit is about 12% and generally includes criminal behaviour.

I wonder who carries the can for any automatic braking when it misreads a speed limit and it causes a pile up?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,509 Posts
Accident rates are inversely proportional to speed. The logic being .... ?

Speed limiters need to be introduced wisely. There needs to be an option to exceed for a few moments, traffic all gets tangled up if they are forced to the same speed. Just watch trucks on a dual carriageway. The same will happen with cars, just at a faster speed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To everyone who hammers their Zoe at 75-80mph on the motorway - how many miles do you actually manage at that speed?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Accident rates for exceeding the prevailing limit is about 3% it's not going to do anything like the predicted results. Fatalities caused by exceeding a speed limit is about 12% and generally includes criminal behaviour.
Those figures sounds about right to me - no idea where the group quoted by the RAC got 30% reduction from.
My experience of the GPS / Speed sign recognition system (when driving hire cars) has been pretty poor - as although it works 90% of the time, the other 10% is really annoying (warnings you are speeding when in an unrestricted zone). Failed when a side road had a speed restriction which the camera incorrectly picked up; not de-restricting speed at the end of road works; not dealing with temporary speed restrictions like when there are flashing lights at schools; not dealing with long term road works being removed (gps based)...
The speed limiter system which is opt in can work - it detects a speed and you press a button to auto-limit to that speed, unless you put foot to the floor to override.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
To everyone who hammers their Zoe at 75-80mph on the motorway - how many miles do you actually manage at that speed?

Dunno about 75 to 80 but usually do 65 to 70 (average is probably in between) and I see 3.2mpkWh in winter and 3.6mpkWh in summer. At 70+ its 3 at best.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dunno about 75 to 80 but usually do 65 to 70 (average is probably in between) and I see 3.2mpkWh in winter and 3.6mpkWh in summer. At 70+ its 3 at best.
Thanks. Usually tick over at 65, but was curious to see what you’d get pushing it a bit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts