Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this offer from Carwow. To me it seems like a bargain, am I right?
Is it possible to guess the car value in 2 years time, or is that impossible. Trying to decide whether to lease fo purchase outright.
Many thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Try and get a quote from Smiths Renault Online. They are a bit cheaper at £21,111.

Lack of CCS might make it less desirable on the used market. I had a quote for a GT Line with metallic paint and CCS for £24,900. Might be worth the extra cost?

Are you really only wanting it for 2yrs...? Do you not need a car after that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'd want it longer than 2 years, but if the cost of a lease is less than depreciation, I'd be tempted to go for that, especially as the GT Line lease offers are not much more than the Play.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The lease deals were good to 31.1 but from what I can see have jumped up a lot. You need to look at cost of lease over the duration and decide if the security of fixed cost is better for you than risking the used market. It could go either way - demand continues to increase and used values stay strong. The alternative view is that there will be oversupply by 2022 (VW etc) and buyers won't want them so deals will abound. I am probably 60-40 towards former. A PCP insulates the buyer from a lot of this as they can just return if values are poor but have equity if they are good. Downside is higher finance costs especially for those able to pay cash.

A 2 year lease skews things as cars always depreciate most in the first 2 years. Personally I tend to keep cars 4 years and the 5 year warranty on new Zoe would certainly encourage me to do so. Selling privately after 4 years with 1 year warranty should be piece of cake, but nobody can predict value - past performance is definitely no guarantee!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
No I'd want it longer than 2 years, but if the cost of a lease is less than depreciation, I'd be tempted to go for that, especially as the GT Line lease offers are not much more than the Play.
So are you looking to buy the lease car at the end, or just buy a used ZE50 and hand the lease car back?

If the lease costs are around £8k, then I would be pretty confident that it will cost you more than £17k to buy a 2yr old GT Line with around 15k miles from either the lease company (if they offer it) or on the second hand market.

But, up to you. Depends what the exact costs are given the specification and mileage you want.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've got a quote for a GT Line of £6410 for a 2 year lease.
Is that the rapid charge model with CCS? If not, do you think it's something you would want?

The GT Line with no metallic paint or CCS would probably be around the £23k mark to buy. Not sure how the non-CCS models will fair on the used market, so might be worth going the lease route if CCS is not crucial.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Note that Renault currently have a money-off voucher scheme running because they won "Manufacturer of the Year" from Top Gear.
(Web form. Requires nominating preferred dealer. No need to accept marketing messages. Voucher arrives by email from [email protected])

Small print:-

Retail customers at participating dealers only. £1000 Cash offer towards New ZOE and £500 towards other new Renault cars (excludes Twizy, Trafic and Master Passenger models). Order and register by 31 March 2020 (register by 30 June 2020 for New ZOE). Offer available with other Renault retail offers.
I don't see any mention of a start date for orders though. Wonder if it'll work on orders already in place?
Note that the voucher does stack with other offers (see bold)

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Note that Renault currently have a money-off voucher scheme running because they won "Manufacturer of the Year" from Top Gear.
(Web form. Requires nominating preferred dealer. No need to accept marketing messages. Voucher arrives by email from [email protected])

Small print:-

I don't see any mention of a start date for orders though. Wonder if it'll work on orders already in place?
Note that the voucher does stack with other offers (see bold)
I believe voucher is only for cash purchase so you can't also get the finance contribution. @Badger in Black Might be able to advise?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If OP is looking to keep a while then the DSG 4 year PCP offer seems a reasonable option. The GFV at 4 years is almost £13K (optimistic IMO) but keeps payments low.
Going PCP keeps payments lower, but increases the cost by £4,790 in interest charges. Not only that, but cash discounts are strangely higher than PCP. That DSG is offering a GT line with CCS for £26,500, and most dealers offer the same on PCP. However, Smiths Online is offering outright purchase at £24,908 including metallic paint.

So not only is the car on PCP around £1,500 more to buy, but also adds on £4,790 in additional costs as well. Makes far more sense to pay cash, or borrow cheaper from a bank and buy outright. The GFV is pointless if it costs over £6k extra to get it!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
If prices are cheaper elsewhere I am sure DSG will compete. This was really just an illustration of the GFVs and how PCP might work for some people who are concerned about residuals. I know you don't like finance ;)
borrow cheaper from a bank and buy outright
Yes that is an option for some people. £1000 down and £430 month over 5 years with TSB - 2.9% APR assuming excellent credit score. A lot of money a month for a small runabout and not everyone can afford it.

Anyway, can we please not get back into a huge discussion again about buy cash vs. PCP?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This was really just an illustration of the GFVs and how PCP might work for some people who are concerned about residuals
Which is fine, but in this particular case, using PCP would have no economic benefit if residuals were to drop even as low as £7,000. You need to look at each case individually. The idea that PCP's are always great for protecting against unexpected depreciation is simply not true. More often than not, it doesn't.

Anyway, can we please not get back into a huge discussion again about buy cash vs. PCP?
You brought it up...the OP asked about leasing vs Cash :p

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The £1k voucher works for PCP as well. They had a similar offer already but end date for orders was 28 Feb.
The cynic in me says they will just reduce finance contribution by £1K to match.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Since the close date on the voucher when used with Zoe is the end of June, and it makes no mention of "new orders only", I think I'll try handing it in when they ask me to pay the £3k remaining on my deposit. :sneaky:

·
Registered
149 Posts
The cynic in me says they will just reduce finance contribution by £1K to match.
Surprisingly with the quote we had for the GT it also included the £1500 dealer contribution. Also for those who consider PCP ok for them you might find a GT can be cheaper than an Iconic, especially if you want Rapid Charge, because of better residuals.

I suspect as usual the response people get will depend on how good your dealer is. In our case v.good especially with a trade in Zoe.:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts