Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
We shouldn’t forget that the owned outright car could develop an expensive fault, such as the OBC, which would be £4K to fix. Meanwhile, the leased car is someone else’s problem. ;)
the owned car has a warranty you know?

·
Vendor
1,630 Posts
battery owned top spec with less than 12k miles and mint bodywork, surely you can easily sell it for 19k, the current cheapest used i-sig 41kwh nationwide is £21k.

now heres a bit of gambling for you: If a jealous idiot puts a scratch or a dent on your leased £6k car 1 week before you hand it back, you will have to fork out a proper repair job or potentially new panels to replace the ones you "damaged", can cost you from £200 to £2000 depending on what panels are damaged.
You break the charging flap, costs you £800 to replace. List goes on If an idiot puts a scratch or a dent on my owned car, I sell it for £100 less. if the flap brakes, i replace it with a £5 cover off ebay.
youre also not penalised for going over the mileage limit on ownership too. I also have the option to sell it on earlier or keep it if i fancy

So leasing also has its risks.
We are selling delivery mileage 69 plate Dynamique Nav ‘l’ models for £18,990.

doesn’t matter how a car was purchased, if it is scratched it costs the same to repair - your logic that it would cost more to repair a leased car makes no sense.

based on today’s market a 2 year old GT Line would be worth £19k easily, problem isn’t you are not trying to sell it in today’s market. The max number of 2 year old EVs that could be sold this year is circa 15,000 (if every single owner decided to change!), however in 2 years time there will more like 80,000, plus a good 40,000 3 year old ones. Then add a greater choice of new EVs witheasy supply and yet harder emissions targets for the manufacturers. I wouldn’t take the risk if I was thinking of changing in 2 years

·
Registered
275 Posts
We are selling delivery mileage 69 plate Dynamique Nav ‘l’ models for £18,990.

doesn’t matter how a car was purchased, if it is scratched it costs the same to repair - your logic that it would cost more to repair a leased car makes no sense.

based on today’s market a 2 year old GT Line would be worth £19k easily, problem isn’t you are not trying to sell it in today’s market. The max number of 2 year old EVs that could be sold this year is circa 15,000 (if every single owner decided to change!), however in 2 years time there will more like 80,000, plus a good 40,000 3 year old ones. Then add a greater choice of new EVs witheasy supply and yet harder emissions targets for the manufacturers. I wouldn’t take the risk if I was thinking of changing in 2 years
My point is that you can choose to not repair the owned one. the lease you have no option. You break the charging flap, you need the whole new charging assembly new (£800).Leases aren't "risk free". and i dont think im "risking" when i assume that my ze40 battery owned will be worth more than £12k by the end of 2021 as that's what it has to be worth to be a better deal than a lease (without even accounting for the free home charger i got, without counting excess mileage i'd have to pay on the lease, etc).

·
Vendor
1,630 Posts
My point is that you can choose to not repair the owned one. the lease you have no option. You break the charging flap, you need the whole new charging assembly new (£800)
Again this makes no sense, if you have damage and don't repair then went to sell/trade your car in the value is reduced by the cost of the repair. Also if your charging flap breaks it is no where near £800, no idea where you got such a ridiculous figure from.

i dont think im "risking" when i assume that my ze40 battery owned will be worth more than £12k by the end of 2021 as that's what it has to be worth to be a better deal than a lease
Depends on mileage and age at the time, no guarantees. Also depends on whether you are planning on trading in or selling privately. Also worth noting that everything thing depends on the lease offer at the time, with the ZE40 the lease offers were not very good, with the ZE50 the lease offer is very good. Your sweeping statement that lease is always worse is wrong.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Again this makes no sense, if you have damage and don't repair then went to sell/trade your car in the value is reduced by the cost of the repair. Also if your charging flap breaks it is no where near £800, no idea where you got such a ridiculous figure from.

Depends on mileage and age at the time, no guarantees. Also depends on whether you are planning on trading in or selling privately. Also worth noting that everything thing depends on the lease offer at the time, with the ZE40 the lease offers were not very good, with the ZE50 the lease offer is very good. Your sweeping statement that lease is always worse is wrong.
Renault doesn't sell the charging flap alone, you need the whole charging assembly and charger as a single piece.
I don't think if I own the car and the flap breaks that is going to devalue it on the used market with a £5 rubber cover as much as it would cost fixing returning a lease.
Also good or bad, I haven't seen any battery owned Zoe devaluing £7k over 2-3 years. Most were and are sold instantly for little less than brand new price. and its not a "risky sector", ev's have been with us for nearly a decade, isnt that much of a risk anymore,BUYING a combustion car is a risk, an ev? not really.

·
Vendor
1,630 Posts
Renault doesn't sell the charging flap alone, you need the whole charging assembly and charger as a single piece.
I don't think if I own the car and the flap breaks that is going to devalue it on the used market with a £5 rubber cover as much as it would cost fixing returning a lease.
Also good or bad, I haven't seen any battery owned Zoe devaluing £7k over 2-3 years. Most were and are sold instantly for little less than brand new price. and its not a "risky sector", ev's have been with us for nearly a decade, isnt that much of a risk anymore,BUYING a combustion car is a risk, an ev? not really.
I run a Renault dealer, I have a much better idea of what can and can't be ordered and what the cost than yourself. It is nowhere near £800 and generally it is covered under warranty. If a used Zoe was traded into us with a £5 rubber cover instead of the correct charging flap of course you would adjust the value for that since when selling it on someone would expect the correct flap.

I will give up arguing about the risk inherent in the sector and let you live in your own blissful bubble.

·
Registered
126 Posts
An interesting thread although I'm not sure I'm any the wiser as to what to do as I research my options. But I would say, BiB, that I do understand where X4dow is coming from. Currently I own a 10 year old hatchback and I've no reason to change it apart from hankering after an EV and keeping aged parent happy as they'd like to see me in a better car. So I understand the idea of not bothering too much about tiny scrapes or damage that would be par for the course if I sell it as a banger. My mind set would obviously change with a new(er) car and I've seen it with friends with their concern and paranoia about their new cars , whereas my attitude would currently be a bit more laid back. Nor have I ever worried about depreciation. A rough calculation gave me about 15p a mile capital cost on my current car and looking at leases it seemed to be around 60p..

I could afford a new(er) car, but as you point out, the supply into the second hand market, as well as the new competition is changing rapidly. My normal way is to keep cars a long time and, if I buy new now, after 10 years would I be to bothered that cars have more toys or longer range? It certainly hasn't bothered me before. My big question then is whether to lease for a couple of years, and have the worry X4dow talks about, and then buy S/H. Or do I buy outright and keep forever? Although I'm not bothered about having a new car I still want to make the best choice financially.

I think as someone in the trade you, those with company cars and motoring journalists don't always appreciate that not everyone has the same cycle of ownership, the same concerns or desire to have that bigger infotainment screen. Think I'd agree about CCS though. :)

·
Vendor
1,630 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time then the best option would be a cash price financed via a low rate personal loan.

if the idea of a new car every couple of years appeals then go for a PCH. Although long term this approach will of course cost more but you do always have a newer car.

Where @X4dow and I disagree is about wether you could buy a car in cash and change every 2 years for less than the PCH cost.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I run a Renault dealer, I have a much better idea of what can and can't be ordered and what the cost than yourself. It is nowhere near £800 and generally it is covered under warranty. If a used Zoe was traded into us with a £5 rubber cover instead of the correct charging flap of course you would adjust the value for that since when selling it on someone would expect the correct flap.

I will give up arguing about the risk inherent in the sector and let you live in your own blissful bubble.
let me know which dealership you work at. so when my flap breaks, i will go there for warranty.

·
Vendor
1,630 Posts
let me know which dealership you work at. so when my flap breaks, i will go there for warranty.
the charging flap is a known issue that is covered under the Renault warranty and costs less than £300 to repair. I suppose it is just easier to make flippant remarks than find the correct answer

·
Zoe Devotee
8,559 Posts
the charging flap is a known issue that is covered under the Renault warranty and costs less than £300 to repair. I suppose it is just easier to make flippant remarks than find the correct answer
If its a known issue why does it cost anything? Surely it should be covered under warranty.

That said my 2014 flap is still pristine.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts