Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on whether the new Zoe is likely to be updated at any point to add adaptive cruise control? Seems like a big miss for Renault to leave that off a 2020 model of car.

And I know someone will say “what’s so hard about just using your foot on the pedals to speed up and slow down”, but the fact is that all the competitors include it so I still say it’s an odd thing to leave out.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,304 Posts
If it is enabled you can presume they'll deploy it like they did with Android Auto, it'll be after an arbitrary registration date regardless of when it was manufactured just so they can ensure they hit cars with the tech included if not enabled and even if your car does have the tech if it was registered before that arbitrary date you'll be shit out of luck unless someone comes along and finds a hack.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is enabled you can presume they'll deploy it like they did with Android Auto, it'll be after an arbitrary registration date regardless of when it was manufactured just so they can ensure they hit cars with the tech included if not enabled and even if your car does have the tech if it was registered before that arbitrary date you'll be shit out of luck unless someone comes along and finds a hack.
Thanks! But I mean whether there’s any news on it being added for like the 2021 model year or something like that, rather than as an update to existing cars? I haven’t bought my car yet... I’m probably going to get an Ioniq, but I’m seeing some very tempting lease deals for the Zoe that mean it’s still in the back of my mind as an option. Having had adaptive cruise control on my current car, though, I’m not sure I would want to go back to not having it.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The hardware is there - I believe it was planned to have ACC, but the software was a clusterfk and they rushed it out without (even AEB wasn’t available at a hardware or software level in the first batches). It’d need certification, so at best would be added to later models - it certainly won’t be a firmware update.

Reactions: loggamatt

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,507 Posts
@TJEV This is not being an a**, but an honest question: do you have any source for that? I'd be genuinly interested, thanks.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It’s a fact that:
Radars and AEB were not part of the first few batches cos it wasn’t finished
The lane assist was meant to be LFA but ended up as LDA cos it was half-baked - the software contains “keep hands on wheel” messages and it tries to follow the lane instead of countering departure.

The story goes that Renault outsourced assist software and integration to somewhere in Eastern Europe, who in turn outsourced it to Egypt, who made a mess of it.

I can’t recall who told me - @cah197, was it you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts