Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

We've just traded in a '15 plate Zoe which we bought second hand in 2017, for a brand new '19 plate 40kW model (we bought the '15 plate for £6k in 2017 and was given £6.7k as trade-in value against the new purchase o_O – obviously Renault were desperate to shift their old stock in 2017!! :D).

One of the things I was looking forward to was ice-cool air conditioning compared to the ambient temperature air that the previous Zoe pushed out when set to the blue 'Min' setting ... a fault I assumed was caused by the gas having leaked out ... but it seems in this brand new Zoe it's exactly the same! Put it on full fan speed on Min, Auto or manual, with or without A/C on, with or without recirculation, and it feels like it's just pushing ambient temperature air around at best!

The Zoe is my wife's car and I drive a '18 plate Nissan Leaf and the difference is night and day – in the Leaf it's icy cold when set to 16°C. It's not like we're giving the A/C a hard time with the Zoe either – it was a mild 20°C today outside and yet with the sun shining in through the windows the cabin was actually starting to get uncomfortably warm, despite the A/C on full-blast!

I can't find anyone else mentioning poor A/C performance in the Zoe on the internet, so either we've had 2 lemons one after another or everyone just puts up with it ...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as my wife struggled in the recent extreme heat we've had (where it was high 20s, low 30s), and if this is a problem it needs to be fixed pronto ...

Many thanks :)

David

·
Registered
183 Posts
It’s not working properly, moan at the dealer.

It’s ice cold in my Q210 2013, not sure why either of your cars weren’t working properly.

Are you in ECO mode? That makes the AC rubbish to save power.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Goes cold pretty well for me too.
I don't think it works when charging.
Get a dongle and Canze and check what its trying to do.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just leave mine on auto at 21 degrees all year round, never touch the other controls, and it seems to work fine. Can get a little warm with direct sunshine but still comfortable. Must admit I haven't really used it in extreme heat (I don't have to commute) so can't comment on how good it is in those circumstances.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I leave mine on auto all the time. It's cold. If it's only doing warm air check some herbert hasn't pressed the AC off button. Pressing the Auto button usually forces it to use AC if necessary though.

Make sure Eco mode isn't on either as that ruins the heating/AC performance even more.

In the hot hot weather I turned it down to about 20c instead of 22 then it doesn't let it get as warm with the direct sunshine.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
I can’t complain about it in my 2016 R90, and I’ve driven it in pretty warm conditions.
Same here. Happy with AC on my 2018 R90 and precool worked well in recent hot weather too. I set to 20C Auto and it does as requested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm happy with the cold. It's the heater I find to be a bit weak, which surprises me because I thought heating would be easier than cooling.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Heater is crap. It has to be said. The one in the Soul was properly hot. The zoe one is just like having a small dog breathe on you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What all the other has said, add in only have 1 direction on at a time, seems it cant both blow on the windscreen and onto you at the same time, use canze to check the pressure on the ac

And it can get to cold for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for all your feedback!

I’ve just connected via CanZE but it seems I’m missing some of the data like the pressure - please see attached.

But then I do get this French warning message come up when I try to check the WiFi settings ...

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Will try to upload a video of the sound the air conditioning unit makes as it seems quite loud and metallic ... to the point where it makes people’s heads turn! 😞

Many thanks for your help! It sounds like I’ve had two lemons one after another ... unbelievable 😱

David

·
Registered
136 Posts

post 5 in that thread.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that link :)

Any idea why my CanZE app isn’t giving a pressure readout? Does it mean it’s completely empty?

Many thanks,

David

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,112 Posts
Metallic rattling sound is consistent with an (almost) empty circuit. You need to have it refilled, preferably with some dye so a leak can be spotted.

As for CanZE, I am not dodging, but I am not involved in the apple version. What sometimes helps is to not "start" the car though.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,001 Posts
One person's "ice cold" is another person's "meh".

TBH, if a car AC is 'ice cold' then it is faulty.

My Plymouth, with the ancient and hugely powerful 1950's designed Mopar V2 refrigerant pump sitting on top of the V8, could draw condensate onto the outside of the front window with relative ease. The car felt and smelt like you'd walked into an industrial freer room full of ice cream! That was 'OK' for me!! ;)

I think, @David Hogg, you probably just want more than it can give. I am afraid that EVs in general are not going to be equipped with the most powerful AC systems in the world, for the simple reason that it consumes electrical power to do so and the manufacturers want you to avoid that.

Just one obvious comment, of course; did you have 'ECO' on? Any sort of economy settings on EVs usually down-rate the HVAC power.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your reply Donald 🙂

I totally hear you that different people have different expectations for the temperature of air-con ... but to be honest the performance of this new Zoe’s A/C (and the old one) is no better than a fan so I’m pretty sure something isn’t right.

The A/C in my 2015 and 2018 Leafs (Leaves?) could cause condensation to form on the outside of the windscreen in really humid weather...

Will contact our local Renault garage and see what they say...

Many thanks for all the feedback! 🙂

David

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
One person's "ice cold" is another person's "meh".
This. I had similar discussions in Winter - one person's "toasty" is another person's "lukewarm" IMO.

That said funnily enough, I had mine thoroughly looked at as it was also struggling to defrost in winter (like, others would say it does it in 5 minutes, mine took repeated button pushes over the course of 20-30) and they found no fault. But when I got it back it was much better (on max it was indeed what I'd call toasty) and defrosted in 5 minutes as it should. This is what I call an "Expert Proximity Fix", I know it too well as an IT guy who often gets "oh it's fixed itself now you're here!" and now I understand how embarrassing it is for the person with the complaint! I suspect the actual explanation is the climate computer ended up with a reboot of sorts while attaching CLIP and checking for errors etc, or during the course of the service it was in for.

I just leave mine on 21 auto and find it cool enough. The air that comes out isn't what I'd call icy, but it's plenty cold enough to do the job - on a hot summer's day it blasts like crazy for about 2 minutes and then it's comfortable and the fans slow down. Zoe heating/cooling seems to take a gentle, less "raw heat / cold" way of getting the cabin to the desired comfort level (the 18-24 aren't strict degrees C I don't think, if you look at the internal temperature on CanZE it ends up at something else, they're some sort of equivalent comfort level)

If it's making a metallic noise though then it could be out of gas, it needs refilling and as it's a closed system they also need to find where the leak is and fix it. Don't let them fob you off with just a regas. It's fairly urgent if so as the compressors have been known to fail when run dry

·
Registered
384 Posts
The zoe one is just like having a small dog breathe on you.
I find it's fine when it's properly cold, it heats up nicely, but when it's just a little bit nippy out but not that bad, like ten degrees or so, it seems to think "oh just put on a jumper instead" and doesn't really do anything...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is how the A/C compressor (I'm assuming?) sounds as it winds up to full speed ...

Renault Zoe A/C sound starting up

Before I contact the garage ... is this sound normal?

Many thanks :)

David

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
18 Participants
David Hogg
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing