Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh! ... now I don’t know what to think as from the description that others have given, that sort of harsh zinging noise meant it was almost empty of gas ... guess that’s the problem of describing sounds with words ... one man’s “harsh metallic noise” is another man’s “normal”! :LOL:

Will see what others think too before making any rash garage bookings ...

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Could you get a pressure reading while not "started"? Sounds to me it's out of gas.
Using the CanZE app do you mean? And by ‘not started’ do you mean without pressing the Start button, just opening the car, plugging the OBD dongle in and loading the Climate page of the app? If so I can try this tomorrow.

I’m still curious to know why the full complement of data isn’t being shown in the app ... by the way, my car is a R110 according to all the specs, but this isn’t a car model that I can select in the app - which option should I select instead, or should it not make any difference?

Thanks!

David

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,148 Posts
Using the CanZE app do you mean? And by ‘not started’ do you mean without pressing the Start button, just opening the car, plugging the OBD dongle in and loading the Climate page of the app? If so I can try this tomorrow.
Yes!
I’m still curious to know why the full complement of data isn’t being shown in the app
TL;DR It's complicated.

The KONWEI's, while about the only cheap dongle on the market that delivers a consistent product, tend to be overloaded by the R model a bit. When "not started" there is less traffic on the CANbus and problems tend to be far less. For the DIY fans we published plans for an ESP32 based that is super-fast and easily handles the load. Also, we're working on something for the KONNWEIs, but that is a slow process. Follow the CanZE blog.
by the way, my car is a R110 according to all the specs, but this isn’t a car model that I can select in the app - which option should I select instead, or should it not make any difference?
Frederic then has not implemented that in the iOS version. Select R90 please. For all (CanZE) intents and purposes they are the same.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Perfect, thanks so much I’ll let you know how I get on! :D

David

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the feedback, will be making an appointment at our local Renault garage I think ... for a car that’s 2 days old :oops:

I tried connecting with CanZE just now without ‘starting’ the car but the pressure information is still missing :(

Unfortunately I don’t have access to an Android phone to try using CanZE on there so I’m not sure what else I can do ... unless there’s a way of doing some kind of static dump of data using CanZE rather than trying to load all the data in real-time?

Many thanks for your help,

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all :)

We've just traded in a '15 plate Zoe which we bought second hand in 2017, for a brand new '19 plate 40kW model (we bought the '15 plate for £6k in 2017 and was given £6.7k as trade-in value against the new purchase o_O – obviously Renault were desperate to shift their old stock in 2017!! :D).

One of the things I was looking forward to was ice-cool air conditioning compared to the ambient temperature air that the previous Zoe pushed out when set to the blue 'Min' setting ... a fault I assumed was caused by the gas having leaked out ... but it seems in this brand new Zoe it's exactly the same! Put it on full fan speed on Min, Auto or manual, with or without A/C on, with or without recirculation, and it feels like it's just pushing ambient temperature air around at best!

The Zoe is my wife's car and I drive a '18 plate Nissan Leaf and the difference is night and day – in the Leaf it's icy cold when set to 16°C. It's not like we're giving the A/C a hard time with the Zoe either – it was a mild 20°C today outside and yet with the sun shining in through the windows the cabin was actually starting to get uncomfortably warm, despite the A/C on full-blast!

I can't find anyone else mentioning poor A/C performance in the Zoe on the internet, so either we've had 2 lemons one after another or everyone just puts up with it ...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as my wife struggled in the recent extreme heat we've had (where it was high 20s, low 30s), and if this is a problem it needs to be fixed pronto ...

Many thanks :)

David
Morning, I have a ZE40 R90 model, (pile of shite) but the aircon works perfectly it takes a few seconds to get going, but works great when it is pointed towards the face icon, and not, the feet or upper vents. i find with all three selected, its a bit weaker.P

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the feedback Paul, why do you call its a pile of *&%! out of interest? (!) :oops: Does your air-con make the same sound as in this video?

Renault Zoe A/C sound starting up

My local Renault SMC dealership want to have it in for 3 days to look at it ... :oops: I guess it's not a simple job of just attaching a machine and letting it run a diagnostic check?

Thanks for all your help!

David :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Could you get a pressure reading while not "started"? Sounds to me it's out of gas.
No, whether it's started, not started, or even once all the instruments have timed out so none of the dashboard is lit up there's just a dash next to the Pressure ... see below.

David

·
Registered
668 Posts
My aircon has just been fixed by Renault under extended warranty. It had the same symptoms as your's before. The aircon pump was noisy and the cooling was almost non-existent. Renault changed the seals for the center console heat exchanger and re-gassed it. The pump is now quiet and cool air has been restored. The air out of the centre vent comes out at 8 to 10 degrees when it's working at full pelt. The side vents are a few of degrees higher.

I think they have updated the firmware as the heater seems to be directing more hot air to my feet than it used to in Auto.

The chap I dealt with at Renault West London said that the aircon should be re-gassed every 2 years, which sounded a bit frequent to me. I would have thought if it was recommended to be done so frequently then it would be included in the B service but it isn't.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
My (for sale) Q210 is nice and cold in Summer and toasty and hot in Winter. Not all Zoes work so well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My aircon has just been fixed by Renault under extended warranty. It had the same symptoms as your's before. The aircon pump was noisy and the cooling was almost non-existent. Renault changed the seals for the center console heat exchanger and re-gassed it. The pump is now quiet and cool air has been restored. The air out of the centre vent comes out at 8 to 10 degrees when it's working at full pelt. The side vents are a few of degrees higher.
That is very encouraging to hear, and pretty indisputable evidence that I can approach Renault with to make sure they address this issue properly. I've also just ordered a temperature gun to determine the temperature of the air that's currently coming out of the vents – I'd say it's around 18°C!

Will let you know what comes of their investigations although it won't be until the end of October when we're on holiday for a week as we can't be bothered with the faff of taking it in, getting a hire car, etc, so we'll just leave it with them when we're next on holiday.

I will already moan at Renault Customer Services though as to have to put a brand new car straight into a garage is absolutely unacceptable!

Thanks for your help :)

David

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can I just check something? Is the performance of the heater in the Zoe also affected by the air conditioning system? Eg. if the A/C does end up being low on / empty of gas, will the heating performance also suffer? It’s certainly been pretty poor (cold) the last few mornings for my wife 🙁 ... By contrast, I put the heater on in my e-Niro this morning, went inside for 5 mins, came out and it was SO hot inside the car I had to open all the windows for 20 seconds to let some of the heat out!! 🤣 Renault - take note!!

Thanks 🙂

David

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Yeah same system if gas is low no heat or cooled air.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,014 Posts
Not gonna lie, it's pretty rubbish at this time of year when it's reading say 8-10C at night. Sometimes when you get in the car on these slightly nippy evenings it'd be nice get a bit of heat out of it and it just isn't forthcoming (just a lot of airflow if it's humid to keep the windscreen clear). It does well enough in winter though.

I don't believe any tinfoil hat theories about R-Link updates - I think it just has a 'lazy' curve when it comes to inside temp reading vs. heat output

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think it just has a 'lazy' curve when it comes to inside temp reading vs. heat output
I do find in my Q210 that it works better if you select a temperature 2-3 degrees higher than you would normally. i.e. home or office I would choose around 21c but in the Zoe that is cold, seems comfortable at 23, both when its doing ac on a hot day and heat on a cold morning.

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts