Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
There is a point where the heating is great.... and that's when outside temps drop to low single digits. Why? My guess is the small ptc heater is engaged at that point to generate some heat for the heatpump to play with. When outside temp is 9-12 degrees it just does its best with heatpump only. One of the reasons I'm not so concerned about the MG have only a PTC, yup it won't be as efficient ,but it may well be more effective across a wider temp range.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the feedback all :)

@Sandy – I wonder if there's a way to trick the car into thinking it needs to use the PTC heater, even if it may be less efficient?

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,014 Posts
AFAIK the PTC heater is always-on (though it's only a tiny thing that is only any use for freezing conditions). I remember the DSG chaps mentioning such when I asked about mine taking mine a while to defrost. I do suspect though that like with that problem where you have to hold a warm rag over the temperature sensor and let it cool again to get the heat pump to flip to the right direction, sometimes the software has a bit of a glitch - mine genuinely seemed to fix itself when they looked at it early in the year, I don't know if some observation effect / something plugged in during testing came into play.

I do find in my Q210 that it works better if you select a temperature 2-3 degrees higher than you would normally. i.e. home or office I would choose around 21c but in the Zoe that is cold, seems comfortable at 23, both when its doing ac on a hot day and heat on a cold morning.

Thanks.
Yeah might give that a whirl. It does work fine to be fair, it raises the temperature.. .it's just a gentle process directed at your feet, not a wave of heat directed at your face.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all :)

@Sandy – I wonder if there's a way to trick the car into thinking it needs to use the PTC heater, even if it may be less efficient?
freezing cold face cloth wrapped around the outside temp sensor (or the drivers side door mirror)?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts