Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the Zoe in to check why the air conditioning wasn’t working.

They’ve had it in all day and have found out its empty. That must have taken all of 5 minutes.
They now want it booked in again for a leak test (for £150)
If found to be a leak and manufacturing fault they will fix it under warranty.
If no fault then a regas will cost over £850

Does anyone have any up to date prices, because even with the special gas that sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,039 Posts
Just had the Zoe in to check why the air conditioning wasn’t working.

They’ve had it in all day and have found out its empty. That must have taken all of 5 minutes.
They now want it booked in again for a leak test (for £150)
If found to be a leak and manufacturing fault they will fix it under warranty.
If no fault then a regas will cost over £850

Does anyone have any up to date prices, because even with the special gas that sounds ridiculous.
Garages in our area offer AC gas top up for around £50. Does it cost more to completely refill?

·
Vendor
1,648 Posts
The Zoe uses the new 1234yf AC gas and it is a lot more expensive than the previous gas. A re-gas can cost the best part of £200.

£850 is taking the piss. Unless the condenser has been damaged it will be a leak. The AC system is sealed and shouldn't leak, on ICE vehicles you find it leaks as people don't use it for months on end and the seals dry up allowing the gas to leak out. However as the Zoe is constantly using the AC system as part of the battery cooling it shouldn't have this issue.

Was your Zoe making a bit of a horrible noise at when you tried to use the AC?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Zoe uses the new 1234yf AC gas and it is a lot more expensive than the previous gas. A re-gas can cost the best part of £200.

£850 is taking the piss. Unless the condenser has been damaged it will be a leak. The AC system is sealed and shouldn't leak, on ICE vehicles you find it leaks as people don't use it for months on end and the seals dry up allowing the gas to leak out. However as the Zoe is constantly using the AC system as part of the battery cooling it shouldn't have this issue.

Was your Zoe making a bit of a horrible noise at when you tried to use the AC?
Yup, making a racket.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,039 Posts
Holdcroft s in Stoke, who are usually pretty good.
Funny you should say that as they have in the past been very good. Recently though I get the feeling that they aren't that keen on EVs. It took several weeks to get my Zoe booked in to have it's TCU reset.

·
Vendor
1,648 Posts
Yup, making a racket.
When making a racket it is out of gas and a lot of the time damages the compressor as well. I am yet to find one that isn’t warranty as air con shouldn’t leak out.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,652 Posts
I had my BMW regassed at a BMW garage and it was around £90, I'd be very surprised if Renault was more expensive than BMW.

·
Vendor
1,648 Posts
I had my BMW regassed at a BMW garage and it was around £90, I'd be very surprised if Renault was more expensive than BMW.
When did you have it done, I understand the wholesale cost of the latest gas has rocketed in price recently. Someth8ng to do with a change in legislation that stopped imports from China I think.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
on ICE vehicles you find it leaks as people don't use it for months on end and the seals dry up allowing the gas to leak out. However as the Zoe is constantly using the AC system as part of the battery cooling it shouldn't have this issue.
Not only that, there is no axle to the outside world which is the case for an ICE where somehow the rotation has to be fed from the belt into the compressor. AFAIK the ZOE compressor is entirely sealed, just wires going into the can, not seals on an axle.

In the zoe, what battery powers the compressor? The 20/40kw or 12v?
400 volt bus.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
So firstly the coolant isn't consumed. Secondly the coolant is necessary and part of the charging circuit.

So you've got a leak, it should be looked under warranty. It should be repaired under warranty and ultimately your battery agreement should cover part of this too.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quo
So firstly the coolant isn't consumed. Secondly the coolant is necessary and part of the charging circuit.

So you've got a leak, it should be looked under warranty. It should be repaired under warranty and ultimately your battery agreement should cover part of this too.
Quite so.
However, I believe the leak test is to determine if the leak is a 'manufacturing fault' or something like a hole in the condenser caused by a rock or similar.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
I highly doubt the AC circuit will be shoved under the EV component warranty. Those components are explicitly listed. Which of course doesn't change that if the car is still under the "car" warranty, it should be covered.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
I highly doubt the AC circuit will be shoved under the EV component warranty. Those components are explicitly listed. Which of course doesn't change that if the car is still under the "car" warranty, it should be covered.
Worth arguing over, Zoe can't rapid charge if the cooling circuit doesn't work, it'll also happily blow up rapid charging posts from what I recently read.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts