Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
We had my wife's 64 plate Zoe at the dealer yesterday for AC not working, this was also diagnosed as a leak in the system, parts on order, also covered by warranty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just had the Zoe in to check why the air conditioning wasn’t working.

They’ve had it in all day and have found out its empty. That must have taken all of 5 minutes.
They now want it booked in again for a leak test (for £150)
If found to be a leak and manufacturing fault they will fix it under warranty.
If no fault then a regas will cost over £850

Does anyone have any up to date prices, because even with the special gas that sounds ridiculous.
My heating wasn’t working, so after a long, drawn out process with the usual unhelpful Renault dealer and UK customer services, they agreed to replace the climate control computer unit. It’s been done now, but there is still barely any heat, but that’s another issue. When I went to pick it up, the ‘dealer’ said the air con may need topping up, but not surprisingly, isn’t covered under warranty. I presumed that the air con and heating were separate issues? Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone tell me whether they work independently or they both have to be working to work?
After having been told by Renault Customer services, that the aircon regassing isn’t covered under the warranty, I rang round and priced it up. Apparently my Zoe, a 66 reg, uses a different type of gas R1234yf, and is more expensive. Renault want £268, but a local garage wanted £83.94. The Renault dealer in Epsom where I got it from want £88.20, but I’ll ring back and check that it is the right type, as above, but if it is, why the hell are there two such differing prices?!
I’ve been happy (ish) with the car, which I’ve had since April, but I’ll never buy Renault again purely because of the poor level of customer service from my local dealer in Portsmouth and the central UK customer service number I have rang dozens of times for various issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Heating system in zoe is just the aircon system running in reverse. This is the most efficient system on the market.
Money? That looks like dealer price vs normal price!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,328 Posts
All modern cars use R1234yf or a close derivative, by law. It is waaaaaaay less harmful to the environment. You will find some people arguing it is "special EV gas". Nonsense. What is not nonsense is that it is more expensive than the old stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just had the Zoe in to check why the air conditioning wasn’t working.

They’ve had it in all day and have found out its empty. That must have taken all of 5 minutes.
They now want it booked in again for a leak test (for £150)
If found to be a leak and manufacturing fault they will fix it under warranty.
If no fault then a regas will cost over £850

Does anyone have any up to date prices, because even with the special gas that sounds ridiculous.
Hi,
I’ve just had my climate control computer replaced under warranty as I had no heat. It was done a couple of weeks ago, but still has very little heat. Apparently, according to the unhelpful dealer in Portsmouth, the heating won’t work without the air con gas being topped up, which I have to pay for, as it isn’t covered under warranty. I never use the aircon! Renault want £268 to top it up, but I’ve found local garages who will do it for between £39.99 and £88.20! I will confirm after Christmas that the cheaper prices use the correct gas; R1234YF.
The customer service I’ve received from the dealer and Renault UK has been horrendous, making me wish I’d never bought my 66 reg Zoe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the heating won’t work without the air con gas being topped up, which I have to pay for
The heating system is the cooling system working in reverse - its the same system.
Whether you need to pay depends on the leak reason. If a component failure within warranty - they pay. If its just generally gone down over time - you pay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After much research and speaking to Renault and other non-biased dealers, the aircon system does need to be regassed to make the heating work as it’s an EV. I’ve got over 10 quotes for regassing, and my Zoe takes the new, eco friendly R1234YF, and not surprisingly, more expensive gas! Renault, not surprisingly top the charts with £268 to regas it, and a local dealer and Kwik Fit can go it for £130. The Renault dealer where I bought the car from in Epsom want £186.
Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper in and around Portsmouth?

·
4,328 Posts
Not an answer to your question, but ALL new-ish cars use R1234yf Press corner
Car manufacturers are free to choose a refrigerant/system as long as it fulfils the obligation of the directive. In 2009, the car manufacturers chose the new refrigerant HFO 1234yf to fulfil this requirement due to its low GWP. The currently used Refrigerant R134a, with a GWP of 1300, is de facto banned in newly type-approved vehicles (new models) since 1 January 2011. From 1 January 2017, this ban will be extended to all new vehicles.
It's an irritating myth (also popped up on this site several times) that "EV's need special electrically approved, more expensive gas". BS. This does not mean R134a is banned, but it is for vehicles as they are vastly more prone to leaking than stationary machines. The Global Warming Potential of R1234yf (4) is massively lower than that for R134a (1300). Not something to sniff at.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
After much research and speaking to Renault and other non-biased dealers, the aircon system does need to be regassed to make the heating work as it’s an EV. I’ve got over 10 quotes for regassing, and my Zoe takes the new, eco friendly R1234YF, and not surprisingly, more expensive gas! Renault, not surprisingly top the charts with £268 to regas it, and a local dealer and Kwik Fit can go it for £130. The Renault dealer where I bought the car from in Epsom want £186.
Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper in and around Portsmouth?
Interestingly you can buy the gas from Halfords and do it yourself:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I saw a chap at Halfrauds re-gassing a car a few weeks back (not a Zoe). He had a small cylinder of gas with a gauge on it and a hand operated trigger valve. He just connected it to the pipe using a quick connector like a tyre valve, Squeezed the trigger for a few seconds then released and checked the pressure. He repeated the process several times, presumably until the pressure had reached a set point. The cylinder can't have held much gas, a couple of Kg at most. They advertised a re-gas at £50. I wonder if they would do a Zoe for that price.

·
4,328 Posts
I saw a chap at Halfrauds re-gassing a car a few weeks back (not a Zoe). He had a small cylinder of gas with a gauge on it and a hand operated trigger valve. He just connected it to the pipe using a quick connector like a tyre valve, Squeezed the trigger for a few seconds then released and checked the pressure. He repeated the process several times, presumably until the pressure had reached a set point. The cylinder can't have held much gas, a couple of Kg at most. They advertised a re-gas at £50. I wonder if they would do a Zoe for that price.
That sounds incredibly stupid as the coolant is in an equilibrium between fluid and gas and pressure says absolutely nothing about the (proper) amount of stuff in the system. There is a reason these systems are vacuumed and leakage is only an (unreliable, cause leaks often close when under vacuum) side-check.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts