Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Speak, Eevee!
989 Posts
Has anyone yet found a way to get the steering wheel button (press and hold) to work with Google Assistant on older Zoes?
Currently even if I press and hold it just triggers the useless R-link voice lack-of-recognition

A workaround is using a Flic but it keeps falling off so not ideal!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree that it won't be long before Google have proper EV data
I'm guessing that you mean an improved version of this, with live data (and user-added chargepoints)?

I have a 2017 Q90 and Google Pixel 3 XL phone - did the DDT4ALL update and unlocked Android Auto. Zoe recognises my phone and launches AA; however, the screen is constantly blurred and fuzzy making it unreadable. The same phone and lead works flawlessly in our Kia Niro.

Any ideas?
You might want to check out the link that I posted here. From reading the posts on that Google Group, I'm inclined to think that it's a combination of Renault R-Link and specific phone chipsets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Q90 and Google Pixel 3 XL phone - did the DDT4ALL update and unlocked Android Auto. Zoe recognises my phone and launches AA; however, the screen is constantly blurred and fuzzy making it unreadable. The same phone and lead works flawlessly in our Kia Niro.

Any ideas?
I have the same issue. My Pixel 1XL worked perfectly but my Pixel 3XL is horribly blurred.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A couple of things I found:

Car: 2019 R110
Phone: Huawei P20 Pro

If your phone is locked/screen off when you plug it in, the Zoe won't detect it properly, and will only charge the phone, it seems the only way to "reset" it is to switch the car off, lock it and leave it for a while, a bit of a pain, but not too bad if you remember to unlock it before plugging in.

Sound quality is awful - I have the Bose upgrade, and I was really disappointed when I first used it, as playing music from Amazon music via AA sounds really flat, like it's a badly compressed low bitrate MP3 played through cheap speakers (much worse than the stock speakers/headunit on my 2006 civic!). Playing through Bluetooth instead, the difference is night and day!!

Fuzzy screen - I use Waze for navigation, and while readable, it's quite blurry, I assume this is because it doesn't run at native resolution. One of my colleagues who has a 2018 Megane has noticed the same thing.
So... 8 months down the line, and my current thoughts of AA on the Zoe are... not so great unfortunately :/

When it works, it's fantastic, but it just seems very unreliable.

First, addressing the above points - I think the above issues were related to a poor quality cable, I replaced it with an Anker PowerLine+, which resolved all of them.

Now to my current issues.

Before the most recent AA update, it was extremely laggy, to the point of becoming unusable at times, e.g. I'd push a button and there would be a very long delay before it responded (the longest I timed was 14 seconds!). This also affected the navigation screen (using Waze), meaning junction instructions etc. were often 10+ seconds out of date, which made following them in unfamiliar places very difficult sometimes! Occasionally it would get to the point where the screen would start artifacting and not responding at all until the headunit would eventually switch itself off and on again.

With the latest version of AA, the lag appears to be (mostly) gone, however what I find now is that if I'm playing music through it, it will cut out for a second or so quite frequently, particularly if I'm doing anything with the controls which causes a dialog to appear (e.g. changing volume, changing the a/c, turning ECO mode on/off, changing from navigation to music or vice versa), but occasionally it will cut out for no perceivable reason (usually several times in a row).

It always used to do this when I switched to reverse and the rear view camera came on, but it seems to be worse now - it completely kills AA and switches to the radio, and the USB cable needs to be unplugged and reconnected to pick it up again.

Whilst I realise in the grand scheme of things these are definitely first-world problems, it's extremely frustrating that it doesn't work properly; it's very distracting when music is playing, and suddenly there's silence for a moment before it kicks back in.

I've tried with various decent quality cables (an Anker PowerLine, and 2 OEM cables, one which came with the phone, and a brand new one), with no difference. I haven't tested it with another phone yet - I'm going to try to borrow my other half's at some point - but the one I have isn't exactly low on performance (Huawei P20 Pro), and I've never had any other issues with it.

Based on the behaviour (e.g. it's worse when the car is doing something else as well), it almost seems like the Zoe headunit simply isn't powerful enough to deal with the amount of data being fed to it, and is struggling to cope :(

Just wondering if anyone else is/has had similar problems, and if so how (if) you managed to fix them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve experienced pretty much all of the above and a few more issues besides, also changed cables which resolved some issue but not all. Sometimes saying ‘OK Google’ works fine, other days i have to press the mic button or steering wheel button, sometimes it crashes, sometimes the radio switches off after a phonecall and sometimes, just sometimes it works perfectly. TBH this sums up my experience over the last year with my R110, it never all works all of the time as far as any of the automation is concerned......

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
GMCK
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing