Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, quick one… would a ze50 gtline have come with a three phase cable as standard?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

also got confirmation via the app. Handy. Can go berate the dealer now.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me guess, the dealer doesn't have a clue?
In one....

It isn't going to live with this dealer, but I do need them to supply the correct cable. Fortunately this one clearly says "1 phase" on the plug so there's no arguing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I've managed to confuse myself there and type2 mode 3 doesn't mean three phase necessarily. Will see what they come back with.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,596 Posts
In one....

It isn't going to live with this dealer, but I do need them to supply the correct cable. Fortunately this one clearly says "1 phase" on the plug so there's no arguing.
Mode 3 just use with an EVSE wall box.

So it's not very clear, but point out that the car has 3-phase OBC, so not supplying the cable is a bit tight.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
How do cock-ups like this happen, when the car is supplied by Renault (I assume) with a particular cable as standard?

Is someone at the dealership nicking the Renault cables, flogging them and substituting slightly cheaper single phase ones?

FWIW, my wife's Zoe (she took delivery of it in March) came with a three phase type 2 cable, that I remember was standard. It didn't come with a granny lead, that would have been an option at a ridiculous price (over £500 IIRC). I can understand it not having a granny lead to some extent, given the fairly mediocre charging efficiency at low current, but I still found it hard to see how Renault could justify the high price of the thing, especially when Screwfix sell a perfectly adequate one for ~£130.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,596 Posts
Don't ask what the price of a Renault cable bag is then.

They do try and make money on accessories. That's how they stay in business.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty.... Despite initial "but we keep the cables with the car" protestations they've realised it's been swapped with the cable from a Leaf. Just tried charging again and 21.5kW, which is much more like it.

what’s a bit odd is the guy who’s been driving the car around seemingly hasn’t noticed that it hasn’t been able to charge in the reckoned three hours.

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 (on order)
52 Posts
A bit off topic but do Zoes normally come with a granny? Leased mine on a deal site - arriving in a fortnight or so - and the "official rep" said yes multiple times, but I'm fully expecting a war on this front. If they were 75 quid I'd let it go, but they're not...

·
Registered
817 Posts
A bit off topic but do Zoes normally come with a granny? Leased mine on a deal site - arriving in a fortnight or so - and the "official rep" said yes multiple times, but I'm fully expecting a war on this front. If they were 75 quid I'd let it go, but they're not...
Zoe doesn't come with a granny cable.. just a type 2

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,596 Posts
No, not normally.

To be honest the granny is of limited use.

·
Registered
591 Posts
At around 6-8 miles per hour, a granny isn't that useful. We looked at getting a cheap (£120) one from Screwfix, but left it to see if we would use it. We haven't needed one in 3½ years

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've used it on camping sites and at my friends house in Wales when I visit for a few days, they even put an outside waterproof 13amp socket outside so I can charge overnight on cheap rate.
So they can have there uses.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do actually need a granny charger right now, used the Kia lead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts