Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. We have a Renault Zoe and a Rolec home charger. When we try to charge the Zoe, the charger keeps tripping out. We were told initially this was to do with our earthing of the property but this has been checked and is ok. We’ve also been recently told that it is to do with the breaker in the charging unit. It is currently a rolec 40A 30mA breaker and needs to be a 40A 100mA breaker. Not sure who to believe. Any help would be much appreciated.
iain

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi. Known problem with Rolec chargers and a Zoe. First saw this at a public charge point at a garden centre. Rolec subsequently did the modification and has worked ever since.

Rolec (or whoever installed) should have known this

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
It may need an upgraded RCBO - try searching on here.

I changed one out the other month when it was tripping out with a ZOE.

Can you lift the cover to see if there’s any discolouration on the internals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inside is all ok. If I change the breaker, I’ll have to change the one inside the house as well as they put it through a separate unit next to my main board and that’s also got a 40A 30mA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was installed by a 3rd party about 2-3 years ago and we’ve always had issues charging (mainly in winter) and their solution was to pour water on the earth rods that they installed. But had our solar health check this week and the guy said it was probably the breaker.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
The inside is all ok. If I change the breaker, I’ll have to change the one inside the house as well as they put it through a separate unit next to my main board and that’s also got a 40A 30mA
Can you take a picture of the inside of the Rolec unit for us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don’t think there is a problem with the charger itself as it works perfectly ok with our other ev (mg zs).

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Don’t think there is a problem with the charger itself as it works perfectly ok with our other ev (mg zs).
I had the same problem. Car works fine with other cars but trips out with the Zoe.

As I say it’s a known issue with Rolec chargers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts