Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zoe started to display a red light on plugging in and wouldn't charge. Renault have already charged me 450 to tell me that it needs a new charging unit and they want a further 4,500 to replace it. I'm horrified! I only paid 4,700 for the car 2 years ago and it's given me no trouble.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,935 Posts
Out of warranty repairs on Zoe are crazy high. Without an extended warranty, these cars are essentially worthless.

Reactions: MrMoonUK

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,935 Posts
Renault extended warranty on the Zoe is absolutely worthwhile. It’s the first piece of advice we tend to give on here.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,900 Posts
Oh. That's a shame. I'd probably contact a HEVRA approved repairer and see what they'd charge to sort it out.

It could also be having a wobble due to a duff 12v battery. When was that replaced?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
it needs a new charging unit
Which charging unit? That for the 12V battery or part of the charging system for the traction battery? If the latter, then which part(s) are they quoting to replace? They've already charged you £450 so they should be able to give you full information on the fault(s) they've found.

My concern is that they replace a lot of hardware based on guesswork, find that it doesn't fix things, and then want to charge more to replace something else. If you do go ahead with a fix, what undertaking are they giving that they have correctly diagnosed the fault and their quoted work will fix it?

As always, get second and third quotes if possible. Is the car still driveable and has it any range left in it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh. That's a shame. I'd probably contact a HEVRA approved repairer and see what they'd charge to sort it out.

It could also be having a wobble due to a duff 12v battery. When was that replaced?
It was replaced last year, not because there was anything wrong with it but because the garage said it had to be replaced after 6 years. When I took it in I thought it was just a software fault, after they motd it last year it came back with a bci fault which took them a week to fix. I later found out how to do that myself and had it motd at my local garage this year, no problem until this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which charging unit? That for the 12V battery or part of the charging system for the traction battery? If the latter, then which part(s) are they quoting to replace? They've already charged you £450 so they should be able to give you full information on the fault(s) they've found.

My concern is that they replace a lot of hardware based on guesswork, find that it doesn't fix things, and then want to charge more to replace something else. If you do go ahead with a fix, what undertaking are they giving that they have correctly diagnosed the fault and their quoted work will fix it?

As always, get second and third quotes if possible. Is the car still driveable and has it any range left in it?
I don't even know what the charging unit is. I did stress that the battery is leased.
Unfortunately there isn't another dealership in range, I left it with 30 miles on it. The nearest on wouldn't take it as they don't have an ev trained mechanic. I was unhappy with this dealership already and even more so now.
Update is that they found a wiring fault and are replacing the loom on tuesday but wouldn't guarantee that would fix it. If it doesn't then I've decided not to let them do any more work.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,900 Posts
Pay any bills by credit card then you have another arm of protection if the work they do doesn't fix it.

I'd be tempted to get it transported to a competent garage instead but finding one is quite tricky as many Renault dealers seem to be useless.

If it's battery leased then recovery is part of the lease agreement. I'd be on to them about getting it taken to somewhere else if where it is don't fix the car. I'm sure someone else did exactly that under similar circumstances. I think the much better renault dealer was in Poole. That's only a vague memory. There's also DSG in Morecombe that seem to be far better than most.

·
Registered
204 Posts
...There's also DSG in Morecambe that seem to be far better than most.
Wholeheartedly agree, get it transported to DSG, even if you have to pay for it yourself. They will give you an honest appraisal so you can decide on your best option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pay any bills by credit card then you have another arm of protection if the work they do doesn't fix it.

I'd be tempted to get it transported to a competent garage instead but finding one is quite tricky as many Renault dealers seem to be useless.

If it's battery leased then recovery is part of the lease agreement. I'd be on to them about getting it taken to somewhere else if where it is don't fix the car. I'm sure someone else did exactly that under similar circumstances. I think the much better renault dealer was in Poole. That's only a vague memory. There's also DSG in Morecombe that seem to be far better than most.
good advice, thank you. it has to go on the credit card anyway as I don't have that kind of money.
the battery is leased and DSG has been recommended to me before. if it had been anything other than charging I'd have gone straight there but I was just too far away. might try the recovery option though.
finding a reputable garage is not easy, my local garage is brilliant but they have no EV experience, mine is the only one they do so far.

·
Registered
178 Posts

try have a look there

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,935 Posts
Bargain. Now quick, sell up before it does cost you £4K - then buy one with a warranty!

Reactions: E7EV
1 - 19 of 19 Posts