Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a chat with a Zoe owner at my local charge point.
He was plugged into another of the 7kw posts, but was concerned that he had only gone from 40%-71% in 2 hours.
It was making a strange buzzing noise, but is that about right or a bit slow ?
I figured 14kw of electric probably gives 10-12kw in the battery ?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I'd expect it to charge at about twice that rate – should have been fully charged in about two hours.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Zoe's are fussy about the earth quality of some chargers.

Owners have found chargers that work for them, and chargers that don't.

Might be worth reporting the point as potentially faulty.
True..There's a couple around My area I just avoid now..

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner seemed to think that it should have gone to 100% in that time, but I wasn't sure if the battery was 30kw which would have rallied with the 30% charge.

The car was making a strange whining noise, which made me wonder if the onboard charger was faulty. It seems he mostly rapid charges when out and about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Zoe has a 22 kWh battery. I'd have expected more charge than that after 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Yes in 2 hours a 7kW charger should have taken it to 90-100%. I wonder if it was a 3kW charger after all? I've encountered more than one that's been labelled wrongly - both rating and plug type!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Zoe's are fussy about the earth quality of some chargers.
True, but in my experience Zoe simply refuses to charge at these points rather than accepting a lower rate of charge.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was certainly strange. I know my Ampera only pulls 3.3kW from the posts, but have seen leaf's there, which appear to pull 7kw.
I wasn't sure if maybe the whining/buzzing noise was a fault with the Zoe, causing it to limit the charge rate.
I presume the Zoe is clever enough to do that ?.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Leaf comes with a 3.3kWh charger as standard but can be upgraded to 6.6kWh.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tis true. Might have to pay attention to the next person who uses the same post.
Still not convinced by the whining noise, I thought it might be the fans in the car to start with, but it was much more of an electrical whistle/whine than a fan...
As there is a rapid only 8 miles away, I wasn't really sure why he hadn't just stopped there ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know the 50kW rapid chargers make a whining noise but I've never heard an EV whine when charging. I'll have a listen next time.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
@Eunicholas is right, all ZOEs make the very high pitched whistle, the greater the rate of charge the louder it is. At 3kW you can only just heard it, at 7 is a bit louder and most people can hear it, at 22 and 42 kW everyone can. When I'm asked about it by interested on lookers, I usually reply inexpertly that its to do with the transformer conversion of AC to DC.
There is also the noise of the cooling fan too which own comes on for a while when rapid charging. That noise is very fan-like though.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that because the LEAF just sits there and takes a charge while the ZOE is actively doing (more) things with the incoming juice?
Sounded more like a dodgy crt television tube warming up ! ;)

Not sure that the Zoe is any more active than the lead is it ....

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Eunicholas is right, all ZOEs make the very high pitched whistle, the greater the rate of charge the louder it is. At 3kW you can only just heard it, at 7 is a bit louder and most people can hear it, at 22 and 42 kW everyone can. When I'm asked about it by interested on lookers, I usually reply inexpertly that its to do with the transformer conversion of AC to DC.
There is also the noise of the cooling fan too which own comes on for a while when rapid charging. That noise is very fan-like though.
Ah! So rather than being faulty, it's designed to sound faulty ;)
Sounds like classic Renault logic !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts