Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Zoe charging ?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Trevor Larkum 
#1 ·
Just had a chat with a Zoe owner at my local charge point.
He was plugged into another of the 7kw posts, but was concerned that he had only gone from 40%-71% in 2 hours.
It was making a strange buzzing noise, but is that about right or a bit slow ?
I figured 14kw of electric probably gives 10-12kw in the battery ?

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
The owner seemed to think that it should have gone to 100% in that time, but I wasn't sure if the battery was 30kw which would have rallied with the 30% charge.

The car was making a strange whining noise, which made me wonder if the onboard charger was faulty. It seems he mostly rapid charges when out and about.

#7 ·
Yes in 2 hours a 7kW charger should have taken it to 90-100%. I wonder if it was a 3kW charger after all? I've encountered more than one that's been labelled wrongly - both rating and plug type!

#9 ·
It was certainly strange. I know my Ampera only pulls 3.3kW from the posts, but have seen leaf's there, which appear to pull 7kw.
I wasn't sure if maybe the whining/buzzing noise was a fault with the Zoe, causing it to limit the charge rate.
I presume the Zoe is clever enough to do that ?.....

#11 ·
Tis true. Might have to pay attention to the next person who uses the same post.
Still not convinced by the whining noise, I thought it might be the fans in the car to start with, but it was much more of an electrical whistle/whine than a fan...
As there is a rapid only 8 miles away, I wasn't really sure why he hadn't just stopped there ;)

#18 ·
@Eunicholas is right, all ZOEs make the very high pitched whistle, the greater the rate of charge the louder it is. At 3kW you can only just heard it, at 7 is a bit louder and most people can hear it, at 22 and 42 kW everyone can. When I'm asked about it by interested on lookers, I usually reply inexpertly that its to do with the transformer conversion of AC to DC.
There is also the noise of the cooling fan too which own comes on for a while when rapid charging. That noise is very fan-like though.

Reactions: Lee Dalton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.