Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Striving for a greener planet
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So SWMBO jumped into the Zoe last night for a run to the shops. The car has been sitting there for a good few days while we have been away and was working fine when we left. Was a pretty mild night and the heating fans would not run. I jumped in when she got back to have a look. So everything lights up, fan speed, temp etc. I can hear the external fans outside firing up as per normal and what sounds like the compressor coming online but nothing from the heater unit in the car.

Any suggestions? I thought maybe a fuse but can't seem to find any information online for where that is in the fuse box. I did find a post with the same issue but there was no answer at the end of it. One guy just had his start up again all by itself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you tried starting the pre-conditioning? That should start the fans up. Or the windscreen demister?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you can hear the fans running and there is no air getting through, check that the drains at the base of the windscreen aren't blocked and filling everything up with water.

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the demister. Nothing. Not preconditioning will give that a go tonight.

I can here the fans from the under carriage. Same as you would here when cooling is taking place of the battery when charging. So it's not the internal fans I can hear. They are completely silent.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Didn't someone else have a similar issue and it was the climate control unit thing that had failed?

How old is the Zoe? I'd check the fuse box to see if any of the fuses have popped. When was the cabin filter last changed?

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2015. Full service history, so I'm hoping they change the filter each time. Not much else there is to do.

Does anyone know what fuse I should be aiming for? Don't want to start pulling them out as some of them do very important things that may disagree with me poking about.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
Fuse for the motor itself (so not for any controller) is F40. That is a fat 40A or 48A fuse at the far top left side of the fuse panel, small column of 3, the lowest one.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
557 Posts
I had the same problem recently. See:

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just to clarify. After the F3 fuse pull for 10 mins it’s now working again with no further problems?
I’m working from home tomorrow and the car will be here so I’ll give that a try

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
If that solves it, it's of course the controller that lost it's mind temporarily, see the F3 description.

Driver's air conditioning control (1225) - Passenger compartment temperature sensor (1872) - Air conditioning compressor (2130) - Heat pump control unit (2295) - High-pressure compressor bypass solenoid valve (2311) - Heat pump solenoid valve (2319) - Air conditioning control unit (419) - Passenger compartment heating electric control unit (2129)
RIghtmost column, lowest fuse (just above the two bigger vertically mounted ones)

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

newb question again. Is F3 the 10amp fuse that is bottom right to the right of the big blue bad boys?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've just seen the same fault on my car. I've had an operation on my leg 3 weeks ago and aren't allowed to drive for a few more weeks.I thought I would run the heating on my car just to circulate the coolant but then fan isn't running, It sounds like the compressor is running but the fan isn't. I've turned it off for now as there is a hot winding smell. I'll try again this afternoon as it's currently cold here and there is a good layer of frost on the car. I suspect the car will be back of to Renault for another extended warranty repair.

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I pulled the F3 fuse, nothing.
I too got a slight whiff of a winding smell when it was firing back up. Dropped it back off to Renault this morning. No extended warranty so not sure what this is going to cost me but that's life.

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so small update.
Had a call from the service guys. Sounds like some water got down the grate behind the bonnet and dripped onto the motor. This seized it where it sat for a while. They have taken it apart, un-seized, and all working fine now. They have cleaned up the grate area.
I am getting this information third hand from my other half who spoke to the garage. Off to pick the car up now so will get a more detailed description.
Hope this helps @Big277wave

·
Registered
709 Posts
Have got mine working. It didn't start running straight away so I gave the centre console a good thump on the side and the fan started to run. It sounds normal. There was quite a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of rust involved. I'll run it a bit more regularly to try and stop it happening again.

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that thump that I wish I did may cost me £70 but the guys at my service centre are good and come across genuine so at least it should cure it for a while.
This is probably my Zoe punishing me for ignoring her for a while since the new car arrived

·
Registered
409 Posts
This sounds like the blocked drain syndrome that Zoe's suffer from (the drains under the wiper valance each side) There is a thread somewhere on checking/clearing these, and it came up again on RZOC very recently, with some good videos of a member clearing them - the scuttle under his wiper motor was literally awash!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts