Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just got my ZE40 from Evezy. I have had a couple of ZE40s on hire over the last 6months or so, so not new to this.

I have just taken a quick trip out to the local polar fast charger, and I have only managed to get about 7KWh into it in an hour.

Started charging at 61% and I am now on 81%. Ambient temperature is 5-6degrees and the car has only done a mile or so to the charger today.

Is this speed normal? I deffently noticed a difference between fast charging in the winter and summer, but even this taken into account, the fact that this is running at 1/3 of the top speed of 22kw, this isn't ideal.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is about right. The battery has to be warm to get anywhere near 22kw. I drove for about an hour last weekend and then charged on a polar rapid and got 18kw

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,193 Posts
Try to start with a Full battery 90% -100%
At this time of year (UK ) drive for around hour or more at around 65mph - 70mph ( Motorway is best ) then stop at around 15% - 25% state of Charge it should be well warmed up
to make the full use of a Rapid ( 39kw If its a Q90 )

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yea about what you would expect. The short drive would have meant the battery temp would have been similar to ambient temp, so around 6/7 degrees?

You can use this very helpful spreadsheet to see what charging speeds to expect as a function of SoC and battery temps:

At 60% SoC and ~7 degrees, you can see you would have averaged around 7/8kW up until 81% SoC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for the speedy response all!

That spreadsheet is really helpful! Where does the data come from that?

In terms of battery temperatures, I assume this is only really accessible with CanZE or similar? Does anyone have some examples of what temperatures are likely to be in general?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
I assume this is only really accessible with CanZE or similar
Correct.

There is absolutely no way (don't even try) to correlate this with ambient. The mass of the battery is huge, leading to huge lag to ambient. Then again, driving and charging generates internal heat. It's a can of worms. Don't go there. Get a decent dongle. Really.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Correct.

There is absolutely no way (don't even try) to correlate this with ambient. The mass of the battery is huge, leading to huge lag to ambient. Then again, driving and charging generates internal heat. It's a can of worms. Don't go there. Get a decent dongle. Really.
I can't wait till there is a standard with EV's where manufacturers display battery temperature along with SoC together with charging speed when charging.

Obviously programmes like CanZE are good alternatives, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be hard to display this information on the car's own display?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
Of course it isn't. CanZE is doing nothing but taking the available info from the car. It's simply a (UI) design choice. Renault has taken the "this is a normal car" approach in 2012-2013 quite to the extreme in my opinion. And it has served them well. But I always silently hoped for an "easter egg geek mode" telling me this sort of stuff, WHY a charge session was failing, etc etc. It wasn't to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts