Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I would really like to put a new camera on the front of my car, does anyone no how to link it into r link. i find that the Zoe front is very narrow pointed down and i cannot see anything at all so when i come to park i find that i am Yards away from the car in front but from inside the car it looks like centimeters. i plan to put a camera like the link below in but how to connect to the car system and does the r link have an extra video interface. Thank you

170° Car Rear View Reversing HD Camera Back Up Parking Plate Night Vision IR LED 702921763070 | eBay

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
JJ, he's your man, if he can't do it...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,448 Posts
Never considered looking out the windscreen? Less latency than a screen. Assuming your eyes are up to scratch of course. ;)

Also I think maybe you might be reversing everywhere.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Don't have a solution, just wanted to mention that I feel your "pain" @CHOW05. I find a tight parking spot and fit it in just so, almost touching with the back bumper the car behind only to notice that there's a large amount of space in front when I get out. At least front parking sensors would be super cool. The front of the Zoe is narrower than the front of an Vauxhall Adam and it's not visible from the inside; at night I use the front lights as a guide, but during the day... tough.

I must say the reversing camera is amazing for such a small car and I can get Zoe in super super narrow places, that people think i got it in with a forklift or twisted the wheels to 90 degrees. So getting a front camera to work with it would be give a good reason for showing off :D

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,997 Posts
Front parking sensors can be fitted by a dealer. I was quoted £350 for it including colour coding.

It's either that or jam one of those seaside windmills on a stick in the charge port door to show where the bonnet ends...or a pop up bonnet mascot...or fit whiskers...

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I’ve fitted cameras to my cars before

I’ll need to look at the back of the HU again

If the HU had a select function for the rear camera it would be easier.

The best way would be to buy a set up with a screen (they are still mega cheap) - maybe one that feeds from a number plate mounted camera.

It could easily be fitted in the tray in front of the gear stick

JJ

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,978 Posts
Yeah but last time I bought cheap, crap dash camera off eBay it lasted about 6 months and supplier had disappeared... Wasn't too bothered as I could then buy a decent one ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good access to power and behind the dash grommets (to get into the engine bay) from the little cubby hole

Guess you need to have keyless though to utilise that space though

JJ
Ive bought the number plate camera. How can i get from the engine bay into the car without drilling or breaking anything. This “ cubby hole “ i assume

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
There will be a number of rubber grommets that allow cables to pass between the cabin and the engine bay

Depending on the number or cables they can slide through the existing opening (I use a bit of fairy liquid) or make a new slit in the outer edge of the grommet to slide the wires through.

There will be one somewhere behind the glove box or fuse box.

Have a look in the engine bay and see wher the cables go :)

Make sure you get a load of cable ties if you are routing cables around the engine bay

JJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts