Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We've had our brand new Zoe for a couple of months and it's just gone over 1000 miles today. My wife normally drives it but today, being a weekend, I'm allowed to...
I've noticed that it's started making a faint, but definite, screeching sound when lifting off and gently regenerating. It's easy to reproduce as you set the cruise control at 30mph (say), and being a slightly crude cruise control, it tends to over- then under-shoot gently. When it's over-shot and is regenerating back a bit, you get a faint gears screeching sound.
My worry is this is like the very early days of what some Ampera owners had when a gear race had worn out. Basically there's lateral movement (shunt) in the reduction gearbox and when you lift off, it moves ever so slightly and gears catch against each other or something stationary.
In my experience there's only one thing it leads to - painful gearbox failure :( .

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it a case of "They all do that, sir"?

I'm sure it didn't used to do it :(

Thanks for any forum knowledge on this... searches for "gearbox Zoe" didn't turn up anything.

Richard

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Is there any way of confirming gearbox oil level? It being low might make it noisy. I'd have it looked at sooner rather than later.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,060 Posts
Need a bit more info on the sound quality you are reporting.

The Continental design in the Fluence (assume same for Zoe, it was just a shorter motor) used a high speed small to quite large single ratio at the end of it. It's quite a high frequency tooth engagement, and there is a pretty regular FWD axle diff after that, AFAIK. So I can't really fathom the 'screeching' description. Very rarely wheel axle bearings do that sort of thing, on and off power.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check to see if there are any fluids I can inspect, but I suspect it's a sealed unit (to us plebs, at least).

Thought this might attract Donald's attention (and thank you). The sound is highly reminiscent, but at a much quieter volume, of the "ban-saw" bearing failure on the Ampera, which we never suffered but I saw enough videos from others to know what it was like :( .

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, interesting!!

(and in case you need to be logged in to see it...)

High pitched noise from motor?
Hi had the Zoe R110 for a couple of weeks now. Remember seeing a comment in a post about whistling noise (from Mo) likening noise from motor as being like scalextric. Very good. I've noticed this especially when lifting off accelerator around 33mph. The sound is high pitched and inconsistent and can be heard at other speeds too. I know you can drown it out with radio but is it normal? Is it a fault or potentially harmful? It would be nice not to have it there at all and I appreciate that the more you pay attention to it the more irritating it becomes! I have driven one other Zoe of the same type before, but I don't remember hearing anything then. Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Sep 5, 2019

I get the same thing so I'd also be interested to know if it's normal or something I should be getting checked out!

https://www.rzoc.club/profile/a6a2f633-03b9-4a30-855f-380c764b05a8
Sep 5, 2019

Thanks Jason. I went out with a dealer Renault trained technician yesterday and the verdict was that it is normal and not to pay attention to it!

So I shall continue to monitor it to see if it gets worse. It's definitely right at 30-31 mph (indicated 32-33mph) so tallies precisely with the above...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Funny, mine does a very mid- to low- pitch noise at 30mph / 55km/h... In the first year it didn't do it, I believe (uncertain). Last year I had the motor assembly replaced (DC-DC bridge failure) and I thought that the noise will be gone; it wasn't

1 - 6 of 6 Posts