Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I recently bought an old 22kw to commute but love it so much I’ve sold my ice car today and ordered a gt line

just wondered as I already have a 7kw charger can I get something else free from Renault ? Or maybe even get the charger but not install it to keep as a spare or sell

anyway can’t wait for my new car

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
If you just sell your 22kW and buy a ZE50 then Renault won't install a free charge point as it's not eligible for the grant, which they rely on. You have to have two EVs at the property to get grant for a second charge point.

I investigated selling my previous ZE40 to a friend when we bought our ZE50. It looked as though we might have been able to arrange for a new charge point at their house, but the arrangement kept falling into a black hole between Renault and Chargemaster. In the end, our friends wanted a larger car.

Getting back to your question, I wasn't able to get anything else from Renault instead.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I’ve not claimed the grant in the past I paid for the install myself
What was reason you didn't claim OLEV grant? Who installed it?

If you didn't claim, then I would suggest you get new one fitted for free (with fresh 3 year warranty) and sell the old one on here or ebay. Bear in mind offer is only valid if buying or financing through a Renault dealer (retail sales)

When I got my first Zoe I sold my Type 1 Chargemaster on ebay and my electrician replaced with a (end of line) PODPoint at a good price. I didn't qualify for free Renault offer as had used both grants - we had two EVs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s only been installed 2 months . It was installed by an olev approved installer I decided to pay so I could have it installed how I wanted rather than to be dictated by the olev .

so I’ve done the civil work and had a new feed from the meter to a new CU in the garage with outside power etc and had the charger fitted in the position I chose .

·
Registered
672 Posts
You need to read the OLEV rules carefully. Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: customer guidance

Without reading it yet again, I think it says that they will give a grant for a charge point for each EV (up to two) registered at a property (at the same time, not sequentially). I don't think there is anything to say that you can't have had a charge point installed previously yourself.

So I would guess that Renault would pay chargemaster to install a new smart charger to your existing infrastructure. Chargemaster would reclaim the (valid) grant. That would let you remove your existing charger and, say, sell it on eBay, as @proddick says. Is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
264 Posts
The other option is just to try and sweet talk them, mention how you love the car etc etc. If sales are feeling generous you might get some accessories included, probably not upto the value of a charge unit but at least somethings better then nothing.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The other option is just to try and sweet talk them, mention how you love the car etc etc. If sales are feeling generous you might get some accessories included, probably not upto the value of a charge unit but at least somethings better then nothing.
Certainly worth a go, I tried that when I bought ZE40 but was told funded by Renault UK and that no other option. It was a stonking deal on car via Carwow, so no biggie. They did mess up my delivery so I got the protection pack for free - which to be fair did keep car in good condition.

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dealer sales don't get to see the funding for the free charger. That is handled directly by Renault and Chargemaster. The dealer just gets a form of some sort to fill in (could be part of the ordering system). Our dealer tried asking Renault for some alternative, without success. YMMV.

Otherwise, cash prices vary dramatically between dealers, so the key thing is to get lots of quotes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You need to read the OLEV rules carefully. Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: customer guidance

Without reading it yet again, I think it says that they will give a grant for a charge point for each EV (up to two) registered at a property (at the same time, not sequentially). I don't think there is anything to say that you can't have had a charge point installed previously yourself.

So I would guess that Renault would pay chargemaster to install a new smart charger to your existing infrastructure. Chargemaster would reclaim the (valid) grant. That would let you remove your existing charger and, say, sell it on eBay, as @proddick says. Is it worth the effort?
Yep that would work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts