Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen a few posts mentioning the lack of heat on the Zoe and was wondering if this is random or for a particular age or model of Zoe. I have a 2019 R110 Z.E. 40 and find it toasty warm compared to my old Diesel Fiesta. It’s been great melting the ice off it using the timer heating from the Z.E. app which I find 95% reliable. How good or bad is your Zoe heating?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My r90 is poor. I have to pre heat and have it set to about 23c. If the sun shines then it blows cold air a lot. It takes quite a while to put out any heat at all without pre heat first. Pre heat usually works but the general connectivity of a lot of Zoes is poor as well so quite a few owners find the pre heat via app doesn't always work well.

I borrowed a R110 and that was noticeably better. I also tried a leaf 40 and when set to 18c it was about as warm as my Zoe when it's set to 22c. Sun came out and it started blowing cold though.

I had a soul EV before and that was properly toasty. Also had a heated steering wheel and heated seats. Soul EV was close to ICE heating as it was fine on 21.5 like my other petrol cars. It didnt freeze you when the sun came out on a cold day that I remember either.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what they changed to make the R110 better. Was it a hardware change or software?

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I wonder what they changed to make the R110 better. Was it a hardware change or software?
Or maybe just better thermostat placement or calibration?

The old Tesla Model S was always too cold on long journeys. Fine when the sun shone, but quite cold on the legs for British weather. Damn Californians.

I find the Zoe heating is fine down to single figures. I haven’t taken it skiing yet.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,272 Posts
The R models have the compressor fused at 40 amps instead of 30 which the Q's have. I suspect the R design came with a slightly stronger compressor, but I could be wrong, didn't check part numbers.

I find the system in my Q model adequate, though slightly slow to get there. Preheating is adviced, for comfort and because it increases range. For context: I am the sort of person not wearing a coat or jacket in a car.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I wear my outside coat in the car and it's often unpleasantly cold. It's the middling 8-14C weather that's the worst as it's just not that warm in the car but if there is sunshine then it actively blows cold air rather than just not really blowing any air at all. It's definitely getting more fresh in than it did as it used to feel stuffy inside the car a lot so now there's more air flow but it feels like it's outside air temperature and not close to the set temperature. I never use Eco so I dread to think how bad it is with that turned on.

It's better in the really cold weather as the PTC heater starts up.

The outside temperature display seems fairly reasonable and I assume that takes the temperature from the door mirror.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if your used to a hot ICE car where you don't need a coat then the Zoe could be considered cold. Personally I use to wear woolly hat, coat and gloves in my old diesel Fiesta, now I just need a coat so I can see why some people might think it is cold. I could always turn the thermostat up but just leave it on 22 deg C and auto and that seems to work OK.

My first complaint is the washer nozzles which were useless, now replaced with spray nozzles from a Megane which are much better.

The second complaint was that the wiper blades froze yesterday which is a new one for me although on the Fiesta I had a heated windscreen (the reason I bought it) which may have warmed up the blades as well. Love the Zoe's ability to melt ice off all the windows, don't miss all that scraping on the Fiesta, even with a heated front screen! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess if your used to a hot ICE car where you don't need a coat then the Zoe could be considered cold. Personally I use to wear woolly hat, coat and gloves in my old diesel Fiesta, now I just need a coat so I can see why some people might think it is cold. I could always turn the thermostat up but just leave it on 22 deg C and auto and that seems to work OK.

My first complaint is the washer nozzles which were useless, now replaced with spray nozzles from a Megane which are much better.

The second complaint was that the wiper blades froze yesterday which is a new one for me although on the Fiesta I had a heated windscreen (the reason I bought it) which may have warmed up the blades as well. Love the Zoe's ability to melt ice off all the windows, don't miss all that scraping on the Fiesta, even with a heated front screen! :)
This does the trick on the wipers, its just alcohol unlike the cheap crappy deicers. Best of gear.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My R90 is adequate. I equate it to turning on your heating at home - no sudden blast of hot air, but after a while you realise you are quite comfortable. Turning on recirculate can help until the car warms up a bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bad mine has been in the garage for 10 days with broken heating, they can’t seem to find the problem just that it’s not working, now they are searching for a leak

·
Zoe Devotee
7,955 Posts
2014 Q210, minus 4 this morning - heater is great! I'm one of the lucky ones.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,955 Posts
<tongue-in-cheek>Huh? After your mandatory breaks-climate-RLink-update?? </tongue-in-cheek> :D
Haven't applied the mandatory updates for last 3 years! ;) Heater never fails to be excellent. :p

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Outside temp <5C: actually pretty good. I don't know if that's the exact criteria internally but that seems to be when the software allows the system to operate at full pelt. Pre-heat defrosts the windscreen in 2 minutes, it's pretty warm (and all other windows cleared except maybe the back) after 5 and comfy after 10. It makes a racket (louder than many ICE cars) and vibrates through the steering wheel, but hey, it keeps you warm. People use the word "toasty", to me that's what you feel when you're sat in front of a bonfire and it's certainly not that, there's no blazing blast of heat like that, but it just sort of makes the cabin feel comfortable and warm.

Outside temp >5C: as others put it, like having a small dog breathe on you. I find it the worst at 5-7C or so as that's when you just fancy a bit of heat and it doesn't want to give you it as the software deems that you don't need much (presumably to avoid Renault getting too many complaints about noise!). It still gets comfortable so it's no that.... I think it's just that awkward spot in between "just glad to have some warmth" and "don't need the heater it's warm already" where at least personally speaking I seem to want a more obvious heat source.

Eco mode: "is this thing on?" - don't torture yourself.

The main thing is you don't feel "blast of heat out of the vents" as you would in an ICE, nor does it allow "so hot you're sweating" like an ICE does. It gently warms the car and in auto mode seems to prioritise your feet (heat rises) and the windscreen (to keep it clear) and you don't really get more than a light breeze out of the front vents.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Q90 got the drop links replaced, the leather seat fixed, the front side bumper realigned and the rear view camera replaced. The dealer in Brechin kindly gave me a Zoe as a courtesy car twice, which I’m very grateful for.
We noted a distinct difference in the heating. Both R90 didn’t work as well as the Q90 does in this regard. Actually, we found the climate control / heating in one of the R90s downright weird.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Heating on my 2017 Ze 40 Q90 is Great and even super toasty with the heated seats on ( T-shirt on all seasons its that good )

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My Q90 was lovely today

Bit of preheat so the frost was gone while plugged in and a pleasant 120 mile round trip to the plain in Salisbury.

I have heat set at 21, direction set to up arrow and fan speed I manually vary between 1 and 2 blobs.

i don’t find auto climate very good tbh

JJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts